Oddities

Rozalia

So I started a new game as a Suebi Cathar (created character with 28 martial and Holy Warrior) under the Kingdom of Asturias in Santiago, because starting as a Muslim vassal in Portugal seemed a bit too odd to do (though it'd have been easier). Conquered the count up north as soon as it gave me a claim and then instead of having my title revoked or being imprisoned, the King gives me my independence... unexpected but okay thanks, holy war with mercs help and the King is soon handing over the Asturias duchy to me. King is 63, croaks and I then holy war them again naturally.

So while this is going on I'm thinking the Muslims will eventually come and be problematic. Then as I had him selected as a person of interest I get notified that the Muslim ruler down south just changed his primary title to Mauretania... odd but okay... then I get word he just upgraded his tribal laws... I've actually played in the region quite a bit and never seen them just go tribal for no reason. I shook my head and declared a holy war for Portucale as easy mode has just been engaged clearly.

I have no idea what your talking about but it sounds very interesting. Care to explain to myself and others who may not know this game?

"Experience demands that man is the only animal which devours his own kind, for I can apply no milder term to the general prey of the rich on the poor."

In other news the north of England just fell to Fraticelli heretics. 

That's bizarre. Why would the AI ever go tribal willingly? Probably worth a look on the PI forums.

No idea. I thought at first perhaps the AI lost it's capital through an internal war and then the AI set up the new capital in a tribal area the ruler held, but the AI still seems to retain it's usual capital in the area. Not only that but the tribal area that is now capital is their only tribal holding.

I have no idea what your talking about but it sounds very interesting. Care to explain to myself and others who may not know this game?

Basically there are systems of government with feudal and tribal being two of them. Being tribal gets a few bonuses with the most significant properly being the fact you can exchange some prestige for a quick 2500 troops, however for the most part it's inferior to feudal and you should work to upgrade to that. The AI has a large amount of land that is all feudal and just decided to become tribal when it has one tribal land. This means all the castles it owns are of the wrong type so they immediately get half their income to begin with, but worse all their vassals (who are feudal) now see them as the wrong government type so there is a -30 relations malus between all of them and their lord. 

Muslim territories already can be pretty unstable (depending on what version of the game anyway) and a -30 relations with everybody isn't going to help. If someone removes him from the thrown such as his brother then the capital switches to his capital which should fix the tribal issue. If a decadence revolve happens (the Muslim lord is decadent too naturally) then that shouldn't fix the issue as the new ruler would take the tribal holding as his capital. 

Decadence is a mechanic Muslims have whereupon if the ruling family is too decadent then they'll get minuses to their income and their troops morale, and worse a massive doomstack will rise up to overthrow them. I hate it personally because even when I played real well as the Ibadi Caliphate my family eventually got so large after hundreds of years that it become impossible to avoid... well it's possible but you got to keep killing your family from the start of the game which just annoys me. 

• Upvote 1

Looks pretty cool. Reminds me of total war or hearts of iron in a way. Just my kind of game.

Its a Paradox game like Hearts of Iron so if you liked that you're likely to like Crusader Kings 2. The main difference is that Crusader Kings 2 has an "RPG" element you can say where instead of playing a country, you play a person. I personally feel that increases my enjoyment of the game significantly.

That's weird as hell, the Muslims not conquering Asturias within a decade is even weirder though :P

Orbis Wars   |   CSI: UPN   |   B I G O O F   |   PW Expert Has Nerve To Tell You How To Run Your Own Goddamn Alliance | Occupy Wall Street | Sheepy Sings

TheNG - My favorite part is when Steve suggests DEIC might have done something remotely successful, then gets massively shit on for proposing such a stupid idea.

On 1/4/2016 at 6:37 PM, Sheepy said:
Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win

That's weird as hell, the Muslims not conquering Asturias within a decade is even weirder though :P

In my personal experience it can vary greatly. Either they get obliterated or the Muslims just leave them there for no reason.

Anyway that was very much a sign of things to come as the Muslim presence in Spain is just collapsing completely. While I warred for Portucale they were trying to invade what remained of Asturias (two countys), one being a count and another the Sultan himself. Both failed in part due to how bad a state their in, being plagued by two revolts (one Christian, one peasant I believe), and me purposely before the war ended hunting down their stack and killing it. 

They lost both wars on Asturias and Christian rebels seized control of 4 countys around Valencia, then a vassal factioned himself the Kingdom of Andalusia taking most of Seville and some bits in the north of spain... but then he got factioned himself by the guy ruling Seville so he's lost that, then the Sultan of Mauretania (he is also at 60% decadence and it keeps rising which is fun) dies so Lisbon is now under attack by me. 

To sum it up, all the Muslims are fighting each other and the Christians are picking them off with ease. I was expecting/hoping for a more difficult game but at this point it's quite clear nothing can oppose me as I'm the strongest power in the region already.

Its a Paradox game like Hearts of Iron so if you liked that you're likely to like Crusader Kings 2. The main difference is that Crusader Kings 2 has an "RPG" element you can say where instead of playing a country, you play a person. I personally feel that increases my enjoyment of the game significantly.

A bit like Mount and Blade perhaps? And have you actually played Hearts of Iron? I haven't met many people who have.

"Experience demands that man is the only animal which devours his own kind, for I can apply no milder term to the general prey of the rich on the poor."

A bit like Mount and Blade perhaps? And have you actually played Hearts of Iron? I haven't met many people who have.

No, it's far closer to HoI than M&B. It's just instead of WW2 and leading a nation it's in the middle ages and leading a dynasty.

Orbis Wars   |   CSI: UPN   |   B I G O O F   |   PW Expert Has Nerve To Tell You How To Run Your Own Goddamn Alliance | Occupy Wall Street | Sheepy Sings

TheNG - My favorite part is when Steve suggests DEIC might have done something remotely successful, then gets massively shit on for proposing such a stupid idea.

On 1/4/2016 at 6:37 PM, Sheepy said:
Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win

Well I'm certainly interested. I'll have to play it one day when I get a decent computer. I loved HoI so this has to be just as good.

I find Crusader Kings a lot easier to learn as well. Instead of having to deal with huge front lines and supply lines you just have one stack of soldiers that fend for themselves for supplies. The RPG elements are amazing and extremely deep, a lot of times you are fighting with your own family more than your enemies, kinda like real life!

I hope Crusader Kings III doesn't ruin the experience by getting more complicated.

• Upvote 1

“I'm cheap and enjoy butchering” - Manthrax

• 4 weeks later...

I'm hoping this doesn't count as a gravedig, just wanted to add to the list of oddities I'm coming across as I play. 

So I'm playing as the Zunists because thats always fun and I'm pretty much having the best game I've had in the region, what with the Muslims not attacking me even once. I of course started by cheesing Kalat (gamey I know) by occupying it and then just leaving the war active instead of winning it. The Abbasids are also at war with them and I find that if you have that war active than they are far less likely to declare on you. 
Eventually some 7 years later I had to win it as I had to declare on a guy who joined the war, who again I was very fortunate and beat in one battle as I captured the guy which meant I didn't need to faff about for ages seiging his territory while running the risk some prick with enough karma to summon the Indian holy deathstack on me joins in. 

I go about hitting anybody I can with conquests to get that authority up to 50 while inching closer and closer to the holy site in India and avoiding those high karma pricks. All goes pretty good and after building three temples I reformed the faith into the "Church of Zun". Tengri also reforms 2 months after I did which I liked as it means they'll be more powerful and might actually be a threat. Interestingly there is both a sizeable reformed Tengri leader and Old Tengri one. I then noticed something had happened to the Abbasids and a lot of territory in Persia was now independent, and to make things better they were suffering a large revolt in the lands they still held leading of course to me declaring 3 holy wars at once on the independent Muslim guys. Being Zunist a bunch of fanatics decided to rise up at this time as they do, of three different faiths to boot! This Buddhist/Sunni/Zoroastrian alliance was of course crushed easily by the Knights of the Sun who have the most badass name out of all the holy orders. 

So I'm there thinking "If my ruler lives a little longer I can make a custom Empire out of Afghanistan, Baluchistan, and Khiva which is nice, how is the rest of the map doing?". Most things are normal until I look at the western part of North Africa and see it's mostly Catholic. With his title being "the liberator" it seems a Catholic Berber led a revolt and managed to not only overthrow the ruling Muslim, but to also expand his holdings. In fact he has already conquered Seville from the Muslims in Spain and has a fighting force of 7000 (Umayyad has 4000).

I find Crusader Kings a lot easier to learn as well. Instead of having to deal with huge front lines and supply lines you just have one stack of soldiers that fend for themselves for supplies. The RPG elements are amazing and extremely deep, a lot of times you are fighting with your own family more than your enemies, kinda like real life!

I hope Crusader Kings III doesn't ruin the experience by getting more complicated.

Honestly I've never been able to get into HOI for just that reason. I can play it but I don't feel I'm quite playing it as good as I'd like to. I agree with you fully.

That is odd about the AI going tribal. I have never seen that. Did you happen to SS it?

No, though I suppose grabbing one isn't difficult as I think I still have the file. I think I may know why it happened which was when I reinstalled the game it and was actually using an older version of the game (didn't realise) which may have had that as a bug as it's not happening in the updated version. I only noticed honestly when I saw the resign bug where instead of showing all the rulers you've played, it only shows your current ruler... which I find heavily annoying myself as I love seeing it show all of them.

Went back to my earliest file as the other ones had me in control of most of Spain. The Muslim kingdom at the point of the screenshots is split in two, however the switch to tribal happened while they were still one.

SOthJts.png
C56Hnab.png

And the Christian liberator as I mentioned in the previous post. I often see the Lombards take Tunis, but never a Christian Berber as strong as that in the west.

Kz65lSL.png
7mdshgq.png

• 4 months later...