CIV - Beyond Earth

Aeon Helikos

Posting lets plays or musicvideos would then be advertisment too :D

I think they brought a demo so i'll try it. Buying with a steamsale at max.

Hope they didn't screw the game like with civ5 vanilla. Removing religions to be political correct -.-'

I'm still only on my second game of it, but if you liked Civ 5, you'll probably like it. It's much more of a struggle to survive in the early game, since the aliens are way more numerous that barbarians ever were. The tech web is interesting, but not terribly different from a tech tree. There is a lot more customization, both at the start of the game and through various quests during the game. The affinities are pretty fun, but definitely complicate late game diplomacy. Is it a fun game? Yes. Is it worth $50? Probably, but if there is a demo you should probably give that a spin before you pay for it.

• Upvote 1

I picked up CiV Beyond Earth a couple days ago.  I like it, but not as much as I hoped I would.  Not as good as Civ V, honestly.

aUel2fG.png

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[10:47] you used to be the voice of irc

I don't know.  Honestly, it might grow on me.  I'm just not big on the aliens.  You kind of either have to embrace them or wipe them out... So I invariably choose to wipe them out because !@#$ being a disgusting alien sympathizer.

• Upvote 2

aUel2fG.png

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Administrators

I watched the trailer for Civ: BE and it looked pretty neat, I'll probably inevitably get it and try it out. I'll be looking closely at what you guys have to say first, though.

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

It is a good game and I do recommend it.  It's certainly much, much more than just a retheming.  Civilization is recognizable in the game, but it's very different.  Technology, for one, is quite different.  You also kind of get to customize your starting faction in the beginning.  You get to pick what you come to the planet with and stuff like that.  I thought that was a good touch.

aUel2fG.png

In designing the tech web, the Beyond Earth team began by going to the Wikipedia article on Alpha Centauri, as well as reading books the article listed as sources of inspiration for Alpha Centauri designer Brian Reynolds.[8] The events of the game are set roughly 200 to 300 years from the present, and the development team are using modern day space sciences, such as the SpaceX launches and the lessons of Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey, to develop their vision for the game's future. The game was also announced to support AMD's Mantle API in a post-announcement interview.[10]

Looks like my hunch was correct. Now to confirm my laptop can run the game before I buy it and never see my friends again.

"It's hard to be a team player when you're omnipotent." - Q

How does it compare to Alpha Centauri?

I've heard that some people prefer AC over BE and I don't really blame them. BE promised aliens and people thought of alien races, lol nope, just alien barbarians that have shit path finding. (Alien Siege worm thingy just goes back and forth between two tiles while you snipe it with a raged unit)

BE launch is disappointing, just like Civ V, people have been saying wait until it is on sale to get it. Although, those people believed the hype so I guess all they could do is wallow in disappointment.

Orbis Wars   |   CSI: UPN   |   B I G O O F   |   PW Expert Has Nerve To Tell You How To Run Your Own Goddamn Alliance | Occupy Wall Street | Sheepy Sings

TheNG - My favorite part is when Steve suggests DEIC might have done something remotely successful, then gets massively shit on for proposing such a stupid idea.

On 1/4/2016 at 6:37 PM, Sheepy said:
Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win

I'd regard it as a Civ 5.7 personally as there is a sizeable chunk of Civ 5 used in it.

Its also hard as its new and i'm still in my first game with no real idea wtf to actually do where as on Civ 5 due to its age ther are ample guides etc rgarding diff game play types.

Still enjoying it though

Oh after bullying my mate into getting it he got to turn 402ish and then lost with a few goes left :)

Well, I really like it.  I think calling it Civ 5.7 or whatever is a bit harsh.  Things are very different.  For one, settling cities is way less dependent upon resources and it's way easier to get "Health" which is the Happiness equivalent.  So there's more of an incentive for you to expand.  Faction abilities are still present, but they aren't all-powerful like they are in Civ V.  It will guide your strategy, but not dictate it.

You're incentivized to spread out your culture, not just focus in one tree until you complete it.  I thought the grid was an interesting idea.

aUel2fG.png

I can see why you would think that, but... I do disagree for the reasons I already mentioned.  There are things they could have done to make it a more radical departure.  I suspect that we will see alien playables in an expansion in the future, for instance.

I think they should have given the factions more flavor than they did.  Because there's really none at all.  I really liked the addition of orbital units; I thought that was quite clever.  I think that that could have been taken a step further, though.

If I had to pick the thing I liked most about the game it would probably be the new social policy mechanic.  If I had to pick the thing I liked least it would probably be the aliens and how the aliens are a necessary part of gameplay.  You couldn't turn them off even if that option were available in the interface (which it is not).  Games are less customizable.

aUel2fG.png

It was a major step down from Civ 5 for me... definitely not worth the full price but I do see some glimmers of a good game buried somewhere in there. With some work, patches, and dlc it'll be a solid addition to the Civ series just like Civ5 eventually became. The only thing though, this was not developed by a full civ team and so it's not going to receive anywhere near the same amount of attention, refining, and dlc as 5 did.

So yeah, if it's up to me I'm not buying it until the civ-BE gold is released w/ all DLC at a total price of like $10.

• Upvote 1