In-Game Stock Market

Kyle N

Hey everyone!

I know PnW resembles irl in many ways and one big part of the community is the economic portion as it helps with growth, savings and much more!
As many, or some, people might know, I kinda am obsessed with The Stock Market. For those who do not know, its a way to invest in companies and usually receive a percentage increase in your investment based on the companies performance (There are other factors). Many games that I've played include a fictional stock market and such to increase the community and savings portion of the game. I think with such a simple concept it adds so much.

Many people may be concerned that the funds may grow too fast and make the banks go out of business. I would say the opposite. The stock market can have tremendous growth, but at a certain caution and risk. It would also increase the Player Bank's activities and revenue because they could charge to manage people's investments in the stock market. I know, for example, that's something I would be doing.

Also, there's the possibility that it screws up the game mechanics and such. To add to the reality of it, I'd say it takes 24 turns to transfer money. During that time, the money is unavailable to use or buy stocks with. Once its in the stock account, it will get NO interest unless invested. In order to transfer and withdraw money, one must also not be blockaded!! I really don't know all the specifics yet but I was also thinking like maybe a 500k charge for every complete buy. (Makes it more of a long-term savings for bigger players). Yeah everyone, please comment suggestions for it! Also, for the selections of stocks, I was thinking like the top x number of companies globally and some other top ones that're recommended!

Thanks everyone! Please comment what you think of the idea and any suggestions/feedback!
Kyle

EDIT: Just to be clear these are IRL companies like (Apple, Samsung, Tesla, etc. Not alliances and orbis businesses)

Edited by Kyle N

• Administrators

How about copyright issues, and potential for fraud? What if someone 'buys' stock in Apple thinking they bought real stock in Apple and not 'fake' stock?

• Upvote 2

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

Just now, Alex said:

How about copyright issues, and potential for fraud? What if someone 'buys' stock in Apple thinking they bought real stock in Apple and not 'fake' stock?

For the copyright issue, we never directly issue apple stock, just a simulation and I've seen various games do it before (I'm not saying that makes it legal. I'll look into it) and then we can have a huge disclaimer saying "YOU ARE BUYING FICTIONAL ONLINE STOCK WITH PNW MONEY THAT DOESN'T HAVE ANY EQUIVALENT IN REAL LIFE VALUE" or something of the sort.

• Upvote 1

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, Kyle N said:

For the copyright issue, we never directly issue apple stock, just a simulation and I've seen various games do it before (I'm not saying that makes it legal. I'll look into it) and then we can have a huge disclaimer saying "YOU ARE BUYING FICTIONAL ONLINE STOCK WITH PNW MONEY THAT DOESN'T HAVE ANY EQUIVALENT IN REAL LIFE VALUE" or something of the sort.

How about the fact that buying and selling stock in-game has to reflect real-world prices? How do you propose we update stock prices? I have no desire to sit at the computer and update the stock market prices for every stock on the NYSE every few seconds while trading is happening during the day.

33 minutes ago, Kyle N said:

To add to the reality of it, I'd say it takes 24 turns to transfer money. During that time, the money is unavailable to use or buy stocks with. Once its in the stock account, it will get NO interest unless invested. In order to transfer and withdraw money, one must also not be blockaded!!

Wouldn't people just use this as a way to hide their money to prevent it from being raided? How is that fair?

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

2 minutes ago, Alex said:

How about the fact that buying and selling stock in-game has to reflect real-world prices? How do you propose we update stock prices? I have no desire to sit at the computer and update the stock market prices for every stock on the NYSE every few seconds while trading is happening during the day.

Wouldn't people just use this as a way to hide their money to prevent it from being raided? How is that fair?

Well I know we can use API to input stock prices which is something I do daily for spreadsheets and it's accurate and fast. Also, it's protecting the money just as good as any bank would anyway. Also...you have to be out of blockade, so it'd work anyway

I don't think it will work tbh. A lot of factors influence stock markets irl and it's constantly changing. What factors will influence stocks in PnW?

And if it's going to be based on the real world stock market, what's the point? It doesn't add anything to the game in that case, just a random system where you win or lose money, unless someone's a real stock broker with insider knowledge or willing to spend a large portion of their time analyzing trends in the real world lol

Edited by Jeremy Graham
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Alex said:

So many people hide their money anyway, the number of bank to bak transfers to alliances with low ns nations or hide away nations is laughable at best.

In truth it would only work on resources we have in game already, and the way they are effected is by the price of those items going up or down and how much is on the market and so on, this way it would only be in game effects.

so instead of buying Food you can invest in the food company at X price for shares now in three or four days when you have to cash your shares in you could make a profit or a lost who knows.

• Upvote 1

Why not base the Stock Market on Nation production and trade instead of a fake artificial market system? In a sense the Resource Market goes up and down much like a Stock Market based on the number of nations producing raw or refined resources. In essence it could be almost like "Futures" Stock where you are banking on the price of a certain resource to increase allowing you make money and in the condition that it fell you are losing money. Also you could hypothetically invest directly into a nation though that may be a bit more tricky and have a great deal of codding involved as well as more thought as to HOW it would actually work.

• Upvote 2

The United States of Belveria

qAFfwLo.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Could this perhaps be designed such that one can bet on the development of alliance scores by buying some sort of alliance stocks?
The whole thing could be regulated by only taking into account members that have been in an alliance, for example, for at least 10 days. This concept is already applied with regard to taxing new members. It may prevent people from switching alliances in order to gain huge profits.