2/26/2018 - War Changes Coming Soon

Alex

5 hours ago, Holton said:

Just gonna respond to all of you at once: Everything you're complaining about now is already a problem in the war system. Fortifying infinitely to avoid beige is a symptom, not a strategy.

edit: Clarification: As long as it takes multiple days to build military and only one blitz to literally or effectively destroy it, there will be a problem with the war system.

I'm not talking about fortifying indefinitely because unless you're Arrgh, most people find it better to accept the beige if you've got no chance of recovery. You lose a lot less that way. I'm saying there are cases in a real war where buying yourself a bit of extra time can turn the tide of the war, i.e. by extending it just a bit to get a double buy like Micchan pointed out.

BrOQBND.jpg

1 minute ago, Nizam Adrienne said:

I'm not talking about fortifying indefinitely because unless you're Arrgh, most people find it better to accept the beige if you've got no chance of recovery. You lose a lot less that way. I'm saying there are cases in a real war where buying yourself a bit of extra time can turn the tide of the war, i.e. by extending it just a bit to get a double buy like Micchan pointed out.

And even for dedicated raiders like Arrgh or myself, there's plenty of reason to accept beige. If we do, then we have the opportunity to buy military and then double down on our raids later on. Preserving the resources is important, but that can be done through bank hiding.

Critically, fortification also allows the losing party the chance to choose when and how to accept beige, and thus gives them a way out of a permanent blockade setup, which is a very real threat that can otherwise result in there being no counterplay options for the losing side. That possibility needs to be avoided at all costs if we want alliances to be viable outside of a bloc like IQ or EMC.

• Administrators
7 hours ago, Insert Name Here said:

Thanks @Micchan. @Alex, does this war system update involve any military unit casualty changes in GAs, airstrikes, or naval attacks?

No changes to casualties, except for that if your opponent is Fortified and you attack, you'll now take +25% more casualties in your attacks (vs. +10% previously)

13 hours ago, TitoBroz said:

So basically, if someone attacks me while I'm asleep, I pretty much lost the war because I can't raise my Resistance and I can't drop theirs to 0 before they do mine because they had a head start. Great update /s

You make a good point I hadn't fully considered. I will think about a way to fix this issue before I push the update live.

• Upvote 1

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

1 hour ago, Alex said:

You make a good point I hadn't fully considered. I will think about a way to fix this issue before I push the update live

I really suggest you consider the complete nerf of the fortifying tactic. While most of the other parts seem rather interesting and brings about a change, the complete destruction of the fortification = res tool is an extreme update to bring up, especially for folks who live in timezones where update is at 3/4/5 AM. I'd really suggest reconsidering the fortification = 10 Res tool as maybe every third fortification adds res or some sort of method to keep it fair and remove the overpowering effect of an update blitz. While fortifying spam sucked, it at least gave folks a way to defend themselves, and this update goes about completely dismantling any defensive system, essentially ruining the fun of the war system/game for folks who can't stay up every night or wake up early at insane hours just to play it. 

• Upvote 2

The war types I am not a big fan of but I guess it might make it a little more interesting.

As for the money and loot taken staying at 10% I like that idea.

@Alex Why not solve the fortify issue in a different way, I had 2 options in mind that I think would work great, one of them was already mentioned here earlier.

1. Fortify only recovers 5 resistance.

2. Let it recover 10 Resistance like it does now but you can only fortify 2 times in a row, meaning you would need to make some sort of attack or something before you can fortify again, this would at least allow the losing nation to buy themselves time but still be able to get beiged, 

The bounty system will at least give smaller alliances a lot more to do, for example now people will be able to place a bounty on a raider that hit them and they want revenge, so now they can be a gun for hire, I dont think it will be used much for whales though.

And thank you for the detailed battle reports, this will save me so much time since before I needed to pull a calculator out all the time to check army values xD 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

eastwood.jpg

2 hours ago, Alex said:

You make a good point I hadn't fully considered. I will think about a way to fix this issue before I push the update live.

Add in a queue system, where the turn after being declared on - your nation will automatically respond with whatever you set (Most likely Fortify).

Edited by Buorhann

59 minutes ago, Buorhann said:

Add in a queue system, where the turn after being declared on - your nation will automatically respond with whatever you set (Most likely Fortify).

Eh, that just means that everyone will get fortified super early in the war whether or not they're even active at all. This punishes blitzing and raiding too much IMO.

I think a better way to address the power of blitzing is for control to be established after two immense triumphs instead of just one, while still needing only one victory of pyrrhic or above to break control, or someone else to make a triumph attack. Then, while ground control can be taken immediately, it requires at least 4 full hours before anyone can blockade or take air superiority, which while still not much, at least leaves the defender options when he wakes up.

(Also this would make it possible to evacuate stuff to bank as long as one jumps on the situation within 4 hours, but it still addresses the concern)

1 hour ago, Sir Scarfalot said:

Eh, that just means that everyone will get fortified super early in the war whether or not they're even active at all. This punishes blitzing and raiding too much IMO.

I think a better way to address the power of blitzing is for control to be established after two immense triumphs instead of just one, while still needing only one victory of pyrrhic or above to break control, or someone else to make a triumph attack. Then, while ground control can be taken immediately, it requires at least 4 full hours before anyone can blockade or take air superiority, which while still not much, at least leaves the defender options when he wakes up.

(Also this would make it possible to evacuate stuff to bank as long as one jumps on the situation within 4 hours, but it still addresses the concern)

Or I would say make it simpler and have a Fortify option based that raises resistance within the first 24-48 hours of the war post which it can't. 

4 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

@Alex Why not solve the fortify issue in a different way, I had 2 options in mind that I think would work great, one of them was already mentioned here earlier.

1. Fortify only recovers 5 resistance.

2. Let it recover 10 Resistance like it does now but you can only fortify 2 times in a row, meaning you would need to make some sort of attack or something before you can fortify again, this would at least allow the losing nation to buy themselves time but still be able to get beiged, 

2nd one is the best option according to me.

1) Fortify: like it is in this update but instead of 25% I think 15% works better

2) Barricade (or any other similar name): You can buy it as military units for a cheap price like $10k per city (because if you have more cities your fortifications cost more) and you can buy one per day but not stockpile it, you can use it with 3 MAPs and recover 10 resistance

Edited by Micchan

Thanks for the clarification, Alex. Also, please do remove the feature preventing bounty hunters from claiming the bounty due to being blockaded. Because it's pretty obvious the defender's alliance is gonna have at least 1 nation with a bunch of ships ready to counter. :P Otherwise not even rekt pirates would second guess trying to go for it, as raiding inactives is much more profitable.  And I could see the other, more conservative nations in terms of game style not even consider trying to claim the bounty.

Edited by Insert Name Here
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Nizam Adrienne said:

20 hours ago, Shadowthrone said:

Not really no. For someone holding multiple resources and being a sleep through a blitz, not only had a hope to fight back, but working the fortifying system well enough and when used smartly was a valid strategy. Now the problem was with the unlimited option to fortify which could have got nerfed through a myriad of different ways rather than getting removed completely. The only folks this gameplay change helps are raiders in essence and fricking over a large number of folks who have different game styles. 

Please refer to Oagden's post below for a tl;dr:

You guys are again complaining about a nerf to 'the only way to defend yourself' because the war system itself is flawed. The resistance mechanic is not the judge of who is winning a war. Let that sink in for a second. The only time resistance remotely matters is in a raid because we want to beige you. Otherwise your level of military is what matters in a war. Right now, not even perfectly coordinated double buys can save you from a losing war because if the 'winner' is remotely active they'll wipe your double buy. It's not like it takes a genius to be online at 7 pm EST, even IQ began to figure it out while TJest was going on.

The war system needs concrete action you can take. I totally agree with you that wars shouldn't be entirely decided by who happened to be awake at 3 am and got in the first volley of attacks. I regret to repeatedly inform you that the resistance mechanic is not the way to fix that problem. Fortify all you want while I zero your military and any ability to do anything of value...

Cost needs nerfing and recruitment caps need boosting.

15 hours ago, Ogaden said:

Or hey, how about meaningful actions someone can take if they can't get a victory of any kind other than fortify?

• Upvote 1

Superbia

vuSNqof.jpg

18 hours ago, Holton said:

You guys are again complaining about a nerf to 'the only way to defend yourself' because the war system itself is flawed. The resistance mechanic is not the judge of who is winning a war. Let that sink in for a second. The only time resistance remotely matters is in a raid because we want to beige you. Otherwise your level of military is what matters in a war. Right now, not even perfectly coordinated double buys can save you from a losing war because if the 'winner' is remotely active they'll wipe your double buy. It's not like it takes a genius to be online at 7 pm EST, even IQ began to figure it out while TJest was going on.

With all due respect, explaining how the war function here is kind of useless heh. I've happened to know whats the key strategies within it. Simply put, fortify = res gave folks who were blitzed an interesting way out to plan their double buys and a fighting chance within the earlier days and added multiple strategic means to save themselves or at least minimise any damage in the early stages. Just pointing out a complete nerf of that and automatic ending of wars in beiges does nothing overall except make it more expensive to war and helps solely a certain group of folks while minimising the responses, strategy or any options a nation may have to solely timezones.

Honestly @Alex what ever happened to buying things in turn increments instead of having a day change? I guess it would remove the ability to double-buy but you could just increase the amount you can recruit per turn. Seems like a lot better flexibility.

Superbia

vuSNqof.jpg

If a PV ground atk takes 8 R, make the fortify 4, this way it's still possible to win a war in 60 turns.And wars will have a longer duration.

making it higher would mean it's close to impossible to win a war with just ground.

The 25% is basically just protecting whales from getting rolled.

Edited by MonkeyDLegend
32204241a4480364cfebb04c10bf72cfaeb4dce2x696.gif
Former Manager t$ and Director of R&D
Former Director of Finance, Security in e$
Founder of The Prate Syndicate(test server)
luffyt$forum.gif

On 2/27/2018 at 2:26 AM, Alex said:

I've been testing some changes to the war system on the Test Server for some time now

On 2/27/2018 at 2:26 AM, Alex said:

The Bounty system is introduced, whereby you can post Bounties on other nations. Bounties cannot be posted until a nation is at least 3 days old. Bounties cannot be claimed unless the war was declared after the Bounty was posted. Bounties cannot be claimed while the Bounty Hunter nation is blockaded. In these cases, the Bounty will remain and the blockaded Bounty Hunter will not receive any award. After some testing on the live server, I may implement a system whereby a blockaded Bounty Hunter would still claim the reward, just not until their Blockade is over.

The BOUNTY SYSTEM DOESN'T work on the test server so why does Alex think that is going to work in the game?

?

• Jax locked this topic