2/26/2018 - War Changes Coming Soon

Alex

So basically it's pointless to do Attrition or Raiding.  Anybody worth their salt (Or pays attention) will dump their loot quickly, and Attrition benefits most people to take damage so that they can dip lower in score and double buy on them (See a couple of my recent battles).  Will Raiding/Attrition stance affect the beige bonus?

The beige nerf is bad too.  While people came up with the strategies on cycle beiging, it encouraged players to beige.  Now with this lesser penalty, it just reduces the incentive to beige players.

I didn't check out Fortify, but I think that would be interesting change.  As it forces players to contemplate on how quickly they want to win a battle or to hold off from beiging, since there's no way to rebuild Resistance.

No opinion on the Bounty System, yet.

Being more transparent on how a battle plays out is a good change though.  In one of my battles, I had 76 Ships hitting 44 and got a utter failure (RNGesus wasn't with me; and yes I had the resources to do it) - so it would've been nice to see how that occurred.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Irrespective of the new change brought in to gameplay. Only time will tell how these new developments have impacted the gameplay. Bringing a new lease of life into the system is always a good thing. But it should be fair play for all. 

Really looking forward to see how the extra 25% damage plays out in the new fortify mode, with extra resistance being eliminated from the equation. I personally feel it shouldn't have been removed entirely. Maybe brought down to a +5 from +10 instead of 0, to be fair. I mean imagine a single defender against 3 attackers and help doesn't come. The fortify mode has lost its purpose with NIL resistance.

Anyways, like I said only time will tell how this all pans out. 

Keep up the good work Alex, glad to know PnW is growing and your hard work only blossoms PnW evermore. Cheers ?

• Upvote 1

Look, are you at least going to implement the safety net for resources, the same way that there's a safety net of $100k money? I've suggested it before, and I still firmly believe that without it, it will be possible and feasible for anyone to be permanently crippled with no possibility of them ever escaping. These games die because blocs become literally unstoppable, and then the game becomes a grind where either you're part of the winning bloc and have to forever keep your enemies down until they ragequit, or you are kept down and therefore have no options but to quit.

Just 200 of each resource being unlootable would make that scenario impossible, and the game would not be forced to die for the sake of pixelhuggers.

Edited by Sir Scarfalot
added link
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Buorhann said:

So basically it's pointless to do Attrition or Raiding.  Anybody worth their salt (Or pays attention) will dump their loot quickly, and Attrition benefits most people to take damage so that they can dip lower in score and double buy on them (See a couple of my recent battles).  Will Raiding/Attrition stance affect the beige bonus?

The beige nerf is bad too.  While people came up with the strategies on cycle beiging, it encouraged players to beige.  Now with this lesser penalty, it just reduces the incentive to beige players.

I didn't check out Fortify, but I think that would be interesting change.  As it forces players to contemplate on how quickly they want to win a battle or to hold off from beiging, since there's no way to rebuild Resistance.

No opinion on the Bounty System, yet.

Being more transparent on how a battle plays out is a good change though.  In one of my battles, I had 76 Ships hitting 44 and got a utter failure (RNGesus wasn't with me; and yes I had the resources to do it) - so it would've been nice to see how that occurred.

IMO anything reducing damage is good. Military dies way too fast, infra gets rekt way too fast, resources disappear way too fast. It's why people are so scared of war to begin with.

As to war types - NPO could use attrition to more quickly bring people down into their "meat grinder" range. EMC groups could use ordinary or even raid if they want to avoid doing too much score damage (but realistically most of your score drops comes from your military). Arrgh obviously just wants loot, we don't really want to damage our raid targets because then they won't keep producing money for us to farm.

• Upvote 3

Superbia

vuSNqof.jpg

I like the new changes, should make this all far more interesting. On another note, ay this is the second time you've created world peace. Sadly the Rose by any other update isn't as sweet.

That 25% makes updeclares a bit too hard

Fortify should add some resistance, maybe not enough resistance to avoid beige but like 5 res to use in a strategic way, for example you want to add res and make the war a bit longer to survive until the update to do a double buy or wait for counters, it also give to the defender something to do

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, Alex said:

-Fortify has been changed. It no longer offers any additional Resistance in wars, but now causes your opponent to take 25% more casualties when attacking while you are Fortified. It has also been reduced to 3 MAPs in cost.

So basically, if someone attacks me while I'm asleep, I pretty much lost the war because I can't raise my Resistance and I can't drop theirs to 0 before they do mine because they had a head start. Great update /s

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, TitoBroz said:

So basically, if someone attacks me while I'm asleep, I pretty much lost the war because I can't raise my Resistance and I can't drop theirs to 0 before they do mine because they had a head start. Great update /s

It's more than that; now that losing wars can't be avoided and all loot is up for grabs as soon as anyone is zero military, then once they've started losing the war they've outright lost the game and can't hope to compete on an equal level ever again. Their options are to be farmed like a b*tch, consolidate like a b*tch, or ragequit like a b*tch; but either way there's no way out, no counterplay, no hope of escape. Dedicated pirates that hide their bank and keep almost no warchest on them anyway have some options, but it is still possible to permanently blockade someone with careful management of how they're beiged. There's no options for the defender here; he can do literally nothing about it.

Way to completely throw away the very idea of balanced play, sheepy. At LEAST put in the resource safety net; it's not perfect but it's at least something

Edited by Sir Scarfalot
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Sir Scarfalot said:

(snip)

Basically if you have a life and someone attacks you while you're off the game. It's a one-sided war. They instantly win with the Fortify change now being implemented. Can't say i like that. 

Edited by Featherine

8 hours ago, Them said:

Does damage refer to infra damage, damage done to defending units, or both?

I want to know this too. As far as beiging it should be merely infra if I understood correctly. But during wars if it adds military unit casualty damage to infra damage, then that's something huge. I can't be bothered with the test server so II'm still not familiar with the entirety of these changes.

Also, another nerf to pirates and active members in general in detriment of boring, vegetable game style. For the record I agree with the fortify change. I guess we'll just have to raid more in order to make up for yet another nerf to raiding. Arrgh!

9 hours ago, Them said:

Does damage refer to infra damage, damage done to defending units, or both?

55 minutes ago, Insert Name Here said:

I want to know this too. As far as beiging it should be merely infra if I understood correctly. But during wars if it adds military unit casualty damage to infra damage, then that's something huge. I can't be bothered with the test server so II'm still not familiar with the entirety of these changes.

Also, another nerf to pirates and active members in general in detriment of boring, vegetable game style. For the record I agree with the fortify change. I guess we'll just have to raid more in order to make up for yet another nerf to raiding. Arrgh!

If you are talking about the war type it is only for infra damage

• Upvote 1

It's good to see changes being made to reduce the damage done in wars, the last war update was completely ridiculous in how much it increased infrastructure damage. 10% from each city was way too much, 4% is much more reasonable. The war types are also another very positive addition to the game.

7 hours ago, Micchan said:

Fortify should add some resistance, maybe not enough resistance to avoid beige but like 5 res to use in a strategic way, for example you want to add res and make the war a bit longer to survive until the update to do a double buy or wait for counters, it also give to the defender something to do

I agree with this 100%. Taking away all ability to add resistance takes away a lot of strategy and options for disadvantaged nations in a war. It just makes it a beatdown for the advantaged nation without allowing enough time for the disadvantaged nation to use many of the strategies Micchan has mentioned.

• Upvote 1

BrOQBND.jpg

I know this may not be important, but is there a possibility that the aggressor or the victor can name the war? Just to add a little more realism.

"There's nothing you can know that isn't known,
Nothing you can see that isn't shown,
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be,
All you need is love,
Love is all you need."

7 hours ago, Sir Scarfalot said:

It's more than that; now that losing wars can't be avoided and all loot is up for grabs as soon as anyone is zero military, then once they've started losing the war they've outright lost the game and can't hope to compete on an equal level ever again. Their options are to be farmed like a b*tch, consolidate like a b*tch, or ragequit like a b*tch; but either way there's no way out, no counterplay, no hope of escape. Dedicated pirates that hide their bank and keep almost no warchest on them anyway have some options, but it is still possible to permanently blockade someone with careful management of how they're beiged. There's no options for the defender here; he can do literally nothing about it.

Way to completely throw away the very idea of balanced play, sheepy. At LEAST put in the resource safety net; it's not perfect but it's at least something

7 hours ago, TitoBroz said:

1 hour ago, Shadowthrone said:

Eh, I mean you could have Fortify adding resistance every other chance or something. This way, you've created a system of no real defence. 

2 hours ago, Nizam Adrienne said:

I agree with this 100%. Taking away all ability to add resistance takes away a lot of strategy and options for disadvantaged nations in a war. It just makes it a beatdown for the advantaged nation without allowing enough time for the disadvantaged nation to use many of the strategies Micchan has mentioned.

Just gonna respond to all of you at once: Everything you're complaining about now is already a problem in the war system. Fortifying infinitely to avoid beige is a symptom, not a strategy.

edit: Clarification: As long as it takes multiple days to build military and only one blitz to literally or effectively destroy it, there will be a problem with the war system.

Edited by Holton
  • Upvote 1

Superbia

vuSNqof.jpg

2 hours ago, Holton said:

Just gonna respond to all of you at once: Everything you're complaining about now is already a problem in the war system. Fortifying infinitely to avoid beige is a symptom, not a strategy.

Not really no. For someone holding multiple resources and being a sleep through a blitz, not only had a hope to fight back, but working the fortifying system well enough and when used smartly was a valid strategy. Now the problem was with the unlimited option to fortify which could have got nerfed through a myriad of different ways rather than getting removed completely. The only folks this gameplay change helps are raiders in essence and fricking over a large number of folks who have different game styles. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Shadowthrone said:

Not really no. For someone holding multiple resources and being a sleep through a blitz, not only had a hope to fight back, but working the fortifying system well enough and when used smartly was a valid strategy. Now the problem was with the unlimited option to fortify which could have got nerfed through a myriad of different ways rather than getting removed completely. The only folks this gameplay change helps are raiders in essence and fricking over a large number of folks who have different game styles. 

This. There was a whole world of strategy and counterplay and decisions based around fortification, how to use it, when to use it, how to fight against it, how to make it more likely for opponents to make mistakes, how to capitalize on those mistakes... I was going to write up a comprehensive guide on fortification and how to play with it and around it. Now war just becomes as simple as the following:

1. gain control
if countered, then: GG
if not countered, then: GG

and that's the extent of strategy. Have more than your opponent? GG. Triple raid blitz at a day change for a doublebuy? GG, and more importantly no re. There's no possible re. Lose and you lose the option to not lose, so you lose, and therefore lose, and therefore lose...

• Upvote 1

• Jax locked this topic