City/Infra Cost Effectiveness

Kyle N

Hey everyone!
(I hope this is the right sub-forums)
But I was wondering at what point it becomes more cost effective infra wise to go to 2.5k, or 3k for example instead of building another city. I think the solution is just to graph the infra price and city costs and see when they intersect and such. For some reason when I graph city prices it was just a straight line and I don't know why....
City Price:
y=50000(x-1)^3+150000x+75000

Infra:

Per Level:[((x-10)^2.2/710]+300
Yeah thanks! If this has been done before, just lmk! Have a great day!

• Upvote 4

11 hours ago, Alex said:

-snip-

You're completely neglecting the two primary virtues of the 1500 infrastructure build: Military preparedness and raiding profits.

1500 infrastructure, with land and civil improvements such that disease and crime are both at or below the 0 mark, allows each city exactly enough population to sustain a completely maximized military of all kinds. With some commerce improvements as well, each city also provides enough money revenue to cover the upkeep of those militaries both in peace and during 8 way wars. Going over 1500 infrastructure increases nation score based on infrastructure, increasing a nations' vulnerability while decreasing their raid options, while not increasing military readiness or military power, either actual or potential.

Due to war being an existential threat to any nation's ability to play the game as a meaningful actor, military power is of the utmost importance; any decision made by players must be considered in terms of how it empowers their military ability. On top of that, as long as there are those that try to play a riskier, more profit-focused playstyle, then those that max military and minimize liability have targets to raid or extort, dramatically increasing their own profits that scale up directly with the wealth of the players around them. That much is almost entirely unquantifiable other than anecdotally, though.

• Upvote 1

• Administrators
On 2/8/2018 at 11:56 PM, Sir Scarfalot said:

You're completely neglecting the two primary virtues of the 1500 infrastructure build: Military preparedness and raiding profits.

1500 infrastructure, with land and civil improvements such that disease and crime are both at or below the 0 mark, allows each city exactly enough population to sustain a completely maximized military of all kinds. With some commerce improvements as well, each city also provides enough money revenue to cover the upkeep of those militaries both in peace and during 8 way wars. Going over 1500 infrastructure increases nation score based on infrastructure, increasing a nations' vulnerability while decreasing their raid options, while not increasing military readiness or military power, either actual or potential.

Due to war being an existential threat to any nation's ability to play the game as a meaningful actor, military power is of the utmost importance; any decision made by players must be considered in terms of how it empowers their military ability. On top of that, as long as there are those that try to play a riskier, more profit-focused playstyle, then those that max military and minimize liability have targets to raid or extort, dramatically increasing their own profits that scale up directly with the wealth of the players around them. That much is almost entirely unquantifiable other than anecdotally, though.

Of course, and I acknowledged that in my post:

On 2/8/2018 at 11:40 AM, Alex said:

Of course, this does not take into account overall game strategy, you likely would want to use smaller steps than given here and not buy so much infra per city as infra is easily destroyed compared to cities. In terms of pure cost efficiency, however, this is accurate.

• Upvote 5

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

On February 3, 2018 at 7:17 AM, Kyle N said:

But I was wondering at what point it becomes more cost effective infra wise to go to 2.5k, or 3k for example instead of building another city. I think the solution is just to graph the infra price and city costs and see when they intersect and such.

If you're trying to compare buying infra and buying a new city for profit (as opposed to less spending) then you'll have to graph income (y axis) and cost (x axis). The income can be calculated, you'll just have to create/get a program that can do it.

• Upvote 1

On 2/4/2018 at 2:22 AM, Micchan said:

You have 14 cities, don't go over 2000 infra before city 17-18, don't go over 2250 infra before city 20-21, don't go over 2500 infra ever because it stimulates my desire for destruction

On 2/8/2018 at 0:40 PM, Alex said:

Yes, you can do what you want pretty easily with the city cost formula and the infra price calculator found in-game. Here's an example:

fAG4FLe3RRes_e8Z6K7xUw.png

As you can see, the city cost function is an exponentially increasing function while the cost of buying up to a certain level of infra per city is linear.

If you really wanted to compare total cost, you'd probably want to integrate the city cost function and compare that to the total infra cost functions.

Here's a link to the graph I made quick: https://www.desmos.com/calculator/w0kkeuxwfx

I couldn't help myself. Here's the graph with the integrated city cost function: https://www.desmos.com/calculator/ydhejee1gt

It's cost efficient to keep buying cities until ~6, then you should buy 1000 infra in each city.

Then buy cities until ~9, then you should buy 1500 in each city.

Then buy cities until ~12, then you should buy 2000 in each city.

Then buy cities until ~18, then you should buy 3000 in each city.

Of course, this does not take into account overall game strategy, you likely would want to use smaller steps than given here and not buy so much infra per city as infra is easily destroyed compared to cities. In terms of pure cost efficiency, however, this is accurate.

You could probably make this model more complex as well by factoring in the cost of repairing infra somehow, and then use that to create a super-efficient build guide.

Ok thank you!