US government is shutdown, who is to blame?

Fukataka

Personally, its the Senate Dems and Schumer's fault.They torpedoed their own chances at winning at the 2018 midterm elections. Trump did want to give a 'humane' option of accepting amnesty for the DACA recipients in exchange for banning chain migration, ending the DV lottery and wall funding, but they thought they can negotiate their way into getting more Democrat votes from the resulting chain migration while leaving those who wanted secure borders high and dry.

Basically, they are the ones who own the government shutdown and not Trump.

EDIT: Was meant to say Senate Dems

Edited by Fukataka

When practically everything the vast majority of americans make use of is considered nondiscretionary spending, government shut downs end up being pretty meaningless. Let's not pretend there are any serious debt hawks left with any influence in the federal government.

• Upvote 1

Trump is sitting pretty with this. Their recent lies about him that to most people comes off simply as the simple truth haven't helped either. Simple fact is that those 800,000 people are not affected by the wall so why not agree to the wall for their sake? Because the Democrats don't really care about that 800,000, they're far more interested in the many more people that the wall does affect. 

• Upvote 2

http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/20/politics/what-next-government-shutdown/index.html

The shutdown will also affect the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, meaning if you wanted a gun permit, you'll have to wait until the shutdown is over.

I hate this world sometimes. I just wanted my Form 3 already. Why? 

Also, I hate how they say "gun permit" since it sounds like you need a permit for a gun as opposed to certain guns.

• Upvote 2

NODOLsmall.png.a7aa9c0a05fa266425cd7e83d8ccb3dd.png

23 minutes ago, WISD0MTREE said:

http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/20/politics/what-next-government-shutdown/index.html

I hate this world sometimes. I just wanted my Form 3 already. Why? 

Hide contents

Also, I hate how they say "gun permit" since it sounds like you need a permit for a gun as opposed to certain guns.

Well shit, I was literally just about to apply for my license to carry. Guess I'll check back in a few weeks. :v

• Upvote 1
xzhPlEh.png?1

51 minutes ago, Kurdanak said:

Well shit, I was literally just about to apply for my license to carry. Guess I'll check back in a few weeks. :v

Those are on a state level. AFAIK, very few states use fed systems for those, so you might be good. 

4473s are also being processed, so we can by non-NFA guns. :)

Edited by WISD0MTREE
  • Upvote 1

The government doesn't even shut down. It goes into 'budget mode' where janitors in random office buildings are laid off, other offices order less toilet paper for that week, and zoos and parks close down (for some reason).

The CIA black ops still go on, the military still runs, most federal employees still go to work... most of everything still goes on. The federal government just doesn't go 'poof' because a few senile old farts in D.C. can't agree to what they want a few numbers on a few pieces of paper to read.

new_forum_sig_2.png

21 hours ago, Thalmor said:

The CIA black ops still go on, the military still runs, most federal employees still go to work... most of everything still goes on. The federal government just doesn't go 'poof' because a few senile old farts in D.C. can't agree to what they want a few numbers on a few pieces of paper to read.

Essential governmental functions will continue to operate but it will be without pay which is the issue for a lot of people cause of bills etc.

gog-forum-size-regs.png

2 minutes ago, Seeker said:

Essential governmental functions will continue to operate but it will be without pay which is the issue for a lot of people cause of bills etc.

ur face is a bill

new_forum_sig_2.png

Given Republicans specifically control two of the three branches and arguably the third as well, it's basically the traditional GOP thing. It's kind of a Republican traditional As to whose fault? GOP entirely. They don't need the Democrats to pass bills at the moment.

GICjEwp.gif

When I did my 20 years in the military, I was a pretty staunch Republican.  Hell, Republicans at that time were for bigger defense budgets which meant bigger pay raises and better and more equipment.  Since my military retirement in '12, I've become pretty disillusioned with both main parties.  The biggest thing that pissed me off about this whole "BOHICA" (Bend Over Here It Comes Again): 

Senator Claire McCaskill (D) introduced a resolution that would have secured pay for service members, she then said, “I don’t want one moment to pass with there being any uncertainty of any soldier anywhere in the world that they will be paid for the valiant work they do.  The POTUS and Senate leadership didn’t show any regard for protecting military pay as they moved to shut down the government. Senate majority leader McConnell (R) quickly objected to McCaskill’s resolution.
Will Fischer of VoteVets noted The POTUS was willing to use the military “as a prop,” but when it came time to take substantive action, they dropped the ball. Veterans make up 1/3 of the entire federal workforce,” and The POTUS shutdown meant they would be “hit twice” because they will end up “missing paychecks and having benefits denied or delayed.”

In 2013, legislation ensured military pay would continue, uninterrupted by that year’s shutdown. Now, with full control of the government, The POTUS has completely abandoned the military.

So if this would have lasted for say several weeks or even months, the military folks still would have been required to do their jobs with no guarantee of even getting back pay and god forbid if anyone got killed in the line of duty, their families could possibly lose all the benefits they are entitled to as well.  Nice looking out for the military you !@#$ ing dumb ass Repub-tards! 

• Upvote 2

X4EfkAB.png

Can anyone actually explain how [whoever] is at fault for not getting this bill passed?

On a surface level the Republicans have control over the entire government so I'm not sure how this can be pinned on the democrats.

Superbia

vuSNqof.jpg

5 hours ago, Holton said:

Can anyone actually explain how [whoever] is at fault for not getting this bill passed?

On a surface level the Republicans have control over the entire government so I'm not sure how this can be pinned on the democrats.

Well from what I know, the funding bill passed on the House where the Republicans have a majority but it died on the Senate where you need 60 votes to pass anything and even if all the Republicans voted for it, they would still need 9 from the Senate Democrats.

Anyway, the Democrats just caved to the pressure and decided to not shutdown the government with an 81-18 vote to pass the funding bill. Even the MSM are baffled that Schumer's threats to shut down the government was nothing more than a 72-hour nothing-burger.

Source: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/01/22/us/politics/live-senate-vote-government-shutdown2.html

18 hours ago, Fukataka said:

Well from what I know, the funding bill passed on the House where the Republicans have a majority but it died on the Senate where you need 60 votes to pass anything and even if all the Republicans voted for it, they would still need 9 from the Senate Democrats. <-- Simple majority, actually, unless the bill has been filibustered.

Anyway, the Democrats just caved to the pressure and decided to not shutdown the government with an 81-18 vote to pass the funding bill. Even the MSM are baffled that Schumer's threats to shut down the government was nothing more than a 72-hour nothing-burger. Probably the first shutdown in history not to be the fault and target of public perception as those being at fault, in history. I've never understood how, with every shutdown they are shown to be blamed by the public for it, that they continue to use it.

Source: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/01/22/us/politics/live-senate-vote-government-shutdown2.html

GICjEwp.gif

I like how the people who said #NotMyPresident are the ones who are calling it #TrumpShutdown. 

55 minutes ago, ComradeMilton said:

<-- Simple majority, actually, unless the bill has been filibustered.

It was filibustered. "Earlier in the afternoon, the Senate also voted to reopen the government after 81 senators broke the filibuster that shut it down." (Source

Trump was THIS close to negotiating a deal with the Democrats over DACA and thereby funding the government, albeit temporarily, as well as the Democrats agreeing to fund a partial wall but not the  whole thing, until hours later he turned around and said there was no deal and said the border wall is not up for negotiation. But then, he said to a group of Republicans and moderates in a closed door meeting that he'd be willing to concede border wall funding in order to keep the government funded temporarily.

You need 61 votes to have a bill considered in the Senate. You need 51 to pass. There aren't 61 Republicans in the Senate which is why people are blaming the Dems.

When Trump said back when Obama was president that the president is to blame for a government shut down, he wasn't wrong. The president plays a key role in these negotiations. Trump dropped the ball completely. If he went ahead with the deal he had made with the Dems, the government would likely be open right now.

Republicans control every branch of government (we're not including the judicial branch here because let's remember that justice is blind and should not be privy to the political whims of those in control), and yet they are unable to strike a deal with the minority party. Some people will say it's because Dems are greedy and sore losers, but this is far from the truth. Dems have been conceding issues since day one of these negotiations, even went as far as giving funding to the border wall when they said they wouldn't.

Let's not forget that ever since Republicans came into power, they have not included Dems in many of their legislation discussions, and passed the tax bill without the Dems completely. They've been using closed door meetings to pass bills. What then do you expect the Dems to do when they FINALLY have a chance to make the concerns of roughly half of the entire population of this country heard? You bet they're going to do it and they should, because this is a democracy and not an autocracy.

Every government shutdown I have seen, valid or not, has seen the Republicans being perceived as the reason. I do no recall an instance of a Democrat attempting negotiation (since it's really not up the President until later in the process) to ensure it is acceptable enough to pass.  Like most of the public, during shutdowns I have always blamed the GOP because they're almost always the party that tries this. The only real difference is that a Republican is president and the Congress is controlled by his party (by virtue of becoming president and party affiliations he also becomes the leader of his party). The fact that Republicans are so unwilling to negotiate as to avoid a shutdown is something I prefer from the Democrats. 

They seem to mostly have finally had enough lessons in how the GOP terms negotiations to stop bothering to try to do so on a larger scale.

GICjEwp.gif