Community Discussion - Moderation

Honey Monster

Alex should just merge Discussion and Debate into a single forum. A debate can also be a discussion and a discussion can easily turn into a debate. Distinguishing between the two and going so far as to lock threads is pointless.

Also why lock the thread rather than move it to its suitable area if its in the wrong area. Did the forum update break thread moving or something.

• Upvote 4

XLL3z4T.gif

13 minutes ago, Sketchy said:

Alex should just merge Discussion and Debate into a single forum. A debate can also be a discussion and a discussion can easily turn into a debate. Distinguishing between the two and going so far as to lock threads is pointless.

Also why lock the thread rather than move it to its suitable area if its in the wrong area. Did the forum update break thread moving or something.

To spam? The only place it would fit. 

To have consistency we have to enforce the guidelines of those forms like we did in the past. I am for merging those tho, would already more sense. 

Just now, Frank Castle said:

To spam? The only place it would fit. 

This isn't the first time recently mods have opted to lock a thread rather than move it, it was a legitimate question. I don't think I've seen mods move threads in recent history. 

Threads being locked should be a last resort, not a first option. I disagree with it being considered "spam" but regardless, yes you should really move it to spam then rather than lock it. Unless it breaks an actual rule, I don't see why a thread supposedly in the wrong section, shouldn't be moved to the correct section.

Seems like mods need proper procedures for enforcing rules on top of new rules. 

Trying to stay on the topic of moderation rather than getting into specifics of various moderator mess ups since that is just a distraction.

• Upvote 1

XLL3z4T.gif

15 minutes ago, Sketchy said:

This isn't the first time recently mods have opted to lock a thread rather than move it, it was a legitimate question. I don't think I've seen mods move threads in recent history. 

Threads being locked should be a last resort, not a first option. I disagree with it being considered "spam" but regardless, yes you should really move it to spam then rather than lock it. Unless it breaks an actual rule, I don't see why a thread supposedly in the wrong section, shouldn't be moved to the correct section.

Seems like mods need proper procedures for enforcing rules on top of new rules. 

Trying to stay on the topic of moderation rather than getting into specifics of various moderator mess ups since that is just a distraction.

Guidelines in the debate and discussion forums are not new, they were posted by me a year ago. 

Threads have always been locked in those forums when actual consistent moderation was present. If it's better to move it to spam to keep those forums clean, so be it, that's easy. 

When it comes to IC forums - my belief is locking is last resort. Those are IC and the posts of a few can ruin it for the many who actually want to engage IC. That's why we have those global verbal warnings for those threads which are primarily in the IC sections of this community. I know recently mods have been locking threads but that is being worked on. 

For now, any posts that don't meet standards of the debate/discussion forums as well as orbis central and alliance affairs posts that are considered spam will be moved to the spam forum. I'll pass this along to the moderation team. 

1 hour ago, Frank Castle said:

This had nothing to do with your topics. 

I stated before that moderation will be heavier in those forums to route out spam and posts that are not created in that effort to provide a substantial base of discussion or debate. 

I don't care about the topics you want to discuss - but they need to hold substance and actually create a discussion or have a working debate. We have done this in the past and it created a strong community where even you were posting good stuff that had positive response and discussion. 

I asked you to reword your OP and you refused because of your opinion on it. We must remain consistent and provide a positive environment for the community. Allowing posts like that in those forums would be the same as allowing OOC spam in alliance affairs forums. 

Feel free to reintroduce your topics in the future and follow those guidelines for a fruitful and constructive debate or discussion. 

Thank you for your feedback. 

And how exactly am I supposed to do to meet your standard of "not spam" (Linking to the Guardian and discussing an article of theirs is spam now? What isn't spam then?)? Huh? Go on, lets hear it. I linked the article that is to be discussed along with it's subject matter. I provided my take. Left it for people to respond to. So come on, what should I have done then in those two threads?

Edited by Rozalia
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Wiki Mod

ITT: 26238840_1980220028685379_67442605867685

23:38 Skable that's why we don't want Rose involved, so we can take the m all for ourselves

23:39 [] but Mensa is the cute girl at the school dance and she's only dancing with us right now to get our friend jealous

23:39 [] If Rose comes in and gives Mensa what she wants, she'll just toss us aside and forget we ever existed

23:39 zombie_lanae yeah I do hope we can keep having them all to ourselves

23:40 zombie_lanae I know it's selfish but I want all their love

6:55 PM <+Isolatar> Praise Dio

Pubstomper|BNC [20:01:55] Rose wouldn't plan a hit on Mensa because it would be &#33;@#&#036;ing stupid

16 minutes ago, Dr Rush said:

ITT: -snip-

I'd argue otherwise. I'm sort of worried about mods not being consistent when classifying threads as spam or not spam. Take this thread and this thread into consideration. The Christmas thread has a link to an article and calls The Guardian and CNN fake news. The immigration thread expands another thread which was IMO, poorly created because of its either-or nature and actually mentions stats from the article in the OP. The vague wording in the thread ("This also does not follow the standard guidelines to a debate/discussion as there is no substance to discuss or debate on. Please update your OP to provide actual substance for discussion or this thread will be locked.") really doesn't address which point. I believe the mods stating which point was broken by posts (not just Roz's, but all) would improve the overall state of the forum over time. Kaizen is a strong force. 

44 minutes ago, Frank Castle said:

Guidelines in the debate and discussion forums are not new, they were posted by me a year ago. 

Threads have always been locked in those forums when actual consistent moderation was present. If it's better to move it to spam to keep those forums clean, so be it, that's easy. 

In the Discussions Guidelines thread, Four clearly states that posts will be moved. When did that change? 

NODOLsmall.png.a7aa9c0a05fa266425cd7e83d8ccb3dd.png

4 hours ago, WISD0MTREE said:

I'd argue otherwise. I'm sort of worried about mods not being consistent when classifying threads as spam or not spam. Take this thread and this thread into consideration. The Christmas thread has a link to an article and calls The Guardian and CNN fake news. The immigration thread expands another thread which was IMO, poorly created because of its either-or nature and actually mentions stats from the article in the OP. The vague wording in the thread ("This also does not follow the standard guidelines to a debate/discussion as there is no substance to discuss or debate on. Please update your OP to provide actual substance for discussion or this thread will be locked.") really doesn't address which point. I believe the mods stating which point was broken by posts (not just Roz's, but all) would improve the overall state of the forum over time. Kaizen is a strong force. 

In the Discussions Guidelines thread, Four clearly states that posts will be moved. When did that change? 

Well it changed when y'all asked us to stop spam and "shit posts" but now y'all want them moved. ? So we will just go back to original settings of moving them. 

We will throw a comment like "this doesn't fit the guidelines of this forum. Link guidelines here. Check these out for future posts. We are moving this to (whatever forum it should belong in) in this case spam. 

We aren't trying to work against y'all. We are trying to give everyone what they want in a fair way so just give us some wiggle room to work out the kinks. We will get there together. 

On 1/21/2018 at 3:38 AM, Frank Castle said:

We will throw a comment like "this doesn't fit the guidelines of this forum. Link guidelines here. Check these out for future posts. We are moving this to (whatever forum it should belong in) in this case spam. 

Wouldn't it be more beneficial to cite which rule was broken in order to educate the forum at large, thus improving the overall quality of posts here? 

• Upvote 1

NODOLsmall.png.a7aa9c0a05fa266425cd7e83d8ccb3dd.png

On 1/27/2018 at 1:30 PM, Rozalia said:

I see the like on Wisdomtree's post by a mod. Great. You can start now. Where did my two threads break the rules, go. I'm going to predict, like all the last times, you can't. 

These mods seem to be quiet - maybe they are working what they said they were working on. Maybe. I'm personally in favor of a police state. 

#maga