A Recurring N00b's Perspective

Zaksaeling

Before I begin, just in case the "Perspective" word didn't give it away, this is merely what I observe. Don't take anything I say as a slight. I hold no hatred for any person or alliance in this game. 

As the title says, I'm a recurring noob. From what I can recall, I've had four trips on this world. The first trip happened shortly before PnW exited beta, and the fourth trip being now. And as the title says, I'm a noob. My trips have been relatively short, with my longest having been a bit over a year. 

My stats have told me 99.5-100% of you don't give a shit, which, I don't blame you. However, I kindly ask you give my perspective some thought, simply because it comes from a unique place. Most of you in threads of a similar nature just continue the back and forth shit throwing you've been doing to each other for years. For those who crossed worlds, over (or almost) a decade now. I have never broken (not that I've particularly tried) to break into the "scene". The only thing in AA that had my name attached was when I created the alliance the Hansa (Cause of Death: Inactivity) a few years back, and Brotherhood of the Clouds came to us and offered protection. I've always been low tier, and haven't really flung any chocolate pies. 

Here's what I see: A bunch of (figuratively) old men, dying on old thrones, clinging to old ideals and old rivalries while Nurgle stalks the countryside. We need fresh blood, fresh wars, fresh rivalries. The current environment favors the old over the new, sadly. There's several examples of this. The most egregious I've seen being Kastor* coming back at the helm and getting five protectors right off the bat (including NPO, essentially meaning half the !@#$ing planet will come to protect him) along with a conga line of gifts and concessions, while the dozen or so completely new micros (meaning no old faces) that spring up over a few months time are lucky to get a favorable trade deal**. Everyone is at fault here. I'm sure if I cared enough to check plenty of freshly printed treaties for X player returning or Y player wanting their own alliance would be seen from the "EMC" side. 

What the world really needs, as I stated before, is fresh blood. Encourage your player bases to get more involved. Encourage involvement in your FA departments. Abdicate the thrones of your alliances and coalitions and let some unknowns take the helm. 

Also, consider your free will and trash treaties you've signed only to make your coalition leader happy. Don't be a shill. And don't be afraid of a rolling. If pixel farming is the only way to keep, or the only way you've kept your base happy, you've built your empire on a foundation of sand. Leading to a sinkhole. Overlooking Hel. Dick Waffle. 

Finally, the main reason for me posting this is to continue discussion and hopefully spur some change. I really enjoy this game, and have enjoyed the genre for years. I was on Bob for years. I was on SC for a long while. I loved PT before it turned into a more neglected Chernobyl. I don't want this game, or the genre, to die or descend into whatever the hell Bob turned in to. 

*Just an example. I've talked to Kastor and he seems like a good dude. I was a dick for ignoring him :P

**Inb4 jealous much hur hur muh stats. When my Empire was strong (and alive), we were flirting with a paperless idea, as well as a big ass confederation of micros. We didn't want a perma protectorate *cough cough* ODN *cough*. Your shitposting is moot. 

Edited by Zaksaeling
  • Upvote 4

There's three and a half types of players

Edgy Meme Lords

Whales

Surious players who actually care (whales and noobs)

Inactives 

Only the first one is good. The others are dumb. 

• Downvote 2

Quiet people have the loudest minds.

A wise man once said nothing.

1 hour ago, Zaksaeling said:

Here's what I see: A bunch of (figuratively) old men, dying on old thrones, clinging to old ideals and old rivalries while Nurgle stalks the countryside. We need fresh blood, fresh wars, fresh rivalries. The current environment favors the old over the new, sadly. There's several examples of this. The most egregious I've seen being Kastor* coming back at the helm and getting five protectors right off the bat (including NPO, essentially meaning half the !@#$ing planet will come to protect him) along with a conga line of gifts and concessions, while the dozen or so completely new micros (meaning no old faces) that spring up over a few months time are lucky to get a favorable trade deal**. Everyone is at fault here. I'm sure if I cared enough to check plenty of freshly printed treaties for X player returning or Y player wanting their own alliance would be seen from the "EMC" side. 

The issue with your argument is that there is plenty of room for leaders to move up if they are willing and capable. The reality is the vast majority of new players in game are not interested in pursuing leadership, and the ones that are lack the patience or willpower to succeed long term.

Also micros are not good for the game. Micros have a long history of failure, and the games mechanics are stacked against them. The reality is the pathway to forming a successful alliance starts by joining a successful alliance first, learning the ropes, humbling yourself to people with experience and taking their advice, making friends and connections, and then striking out on your own, preferably with those friends in tow. Starting an alliance day one or month one will likely end in failure and is not a net plus for the game at all. 

What the world really needs, as I stated before, is fresh blood. Encourage your player bases to get more involved. Encourage involvement in your FA departments. Abdicate the thrones of your alliances and coalitions and let some unknowns take the helm. 

Plenty of alliances do this. The vast majority of top AA's have quite a fairly large amount of government turnover.

Same with leadership. TKR recently changed leadership, Rose changed leadership twice last year, BK changed leadership, Zodiac has changed hands a few times i believe, KT changed leadership. People who want to move up need to proactively try to. If you sit on your ass expecting someone to approach you with a job, you'll never get shit. If you expect to be leader of a top AA in 3 months  then you have to measure you expectations a bit more realistically.

Also, consider your free will and trash treaties you've signed only to make your coalition leader happy. Don't be a shill. And don't be afraid of a rolling. If pixel farming is the only way to keep, or the only way you've kept your base happy, you've built your empire on a foundation of sand. Leading to a sinkhole. Overlooking Hel. Dick Waffle. 

Lol, this argument has been made 100 times before. Most of the alliances in the "coalitions" aren't pixel huggers, at least not in the leadership. Its the people outside of them sitting on the fence who tend to be the pixel huggers. That or the alliances who sit in protectorate status for over a year.

Finally, the main reason for me posting this is to continue discussion and hopefully spur some change. I really enjoy this game, and have enjoyed the genre for years. I was on Bob for years. I was on SC for a long while. I loved PT before it turned into a more neglected Chernobyl. I don't want this game, or the genre, to die or descend into whatever the hell Bob turned in to. 

Unfortunately most of these arguments have been made before and they don't change anything. If you want this to work, lead by example. Join a successful alliance, learn the ins and outs of government and leadership, move up the ranks and take a gov position. or break out on your own and create something with the knowledge you've attained.

The reality is the only thing stopping most players from achieving things in this game is either laziness or incompetence. If your alliance has no upward mobility, leave it. If your alliance is ill-equipped to teach you what you need to learn to improve and succeed, go elsewhere. If you feel you deserve a shot, don't sit around and wait for it to be handed to you, work for it and then take it.

• Upvote 6

XLL3z4T.gif

2 hours ago, Princess Kitty said:

There's three and a half types of players

Edgy Meme Lords

Whales

Surious players who actually care (whales and noobs)

Inactives 

Only the first one is good. The others are dumb. 

3edgy5me

• Upvote 1

Dec 26 18:48:22 <JacobH[Arrgh]>    God your worse the grealind >.>

14 hours ago, Zaksaeling said:

**Inb4 jealous much hur hur muh stats. When my Empire was strong (and alive), we were flirting with a paperless idea, as well as a big ass confederation of micros. We didn't want a perma protectorate *cough cough* ODN *cough*. Your shitposting is moot. 

> Thinks micro confederation is a good idea

> Wonders why micros led by new players fail and why experienced players don't waste time on them