Become a Legend...

Dwynn

(Posted with permission from @Alex)

logo-mailer.png
Greetings everyone.

Some of you may know me as Dwynn, some as Micheal Malone, or some may not know me at all at this point. However, I've been around these style of games for quite a while now, since 2007. I enjoyed the portability of the games and the ability to play it almost literally anywhere. In all my time playing these web/text simulators though, I felt there was a genre missing. Most of them relied upon a political system, and while it can be fun, I yearned to see another genre come to light.

About a year or so ago I started on a journey to begin creating my own game. My ultimate goal is to blend the genres of web/text-simulators and a tabletop RPG-style of game. Initially I ended up with very little time on my hands so it went on the back burner. However, I have returned to making Duskhorn and have progressed into the beginning phases of alpha for the game. Currently players can create heroes, train skills & spells, train stats, create and manage guilds, and now they can battle one vs. one in the arena system. A basic adventure system is going to be rolling out shortly so players can begin to "level up" as it were.

So if you're interested in an RPG-style web/text simulator, please join us over in Legends of Duskhorn. The more players testing the better I can balance the system and find bugs to make it a nice companion to the selection of games available.

Join the battles now, become a Legend of Duskhorn!

http://duskhorn.com

~Dwynn/Malone

Edited by Dwynn
  • Like 1

duskhornexceptional.png.d9e24adf7f0945530780eee694428f27.png

He's right, I'm such a stinker. Play my exceptional game!

Homepage needs screenshots so we know what we're getting into.  An about link would help too.

13 hours ago, Dubayoo said:

Homepage needs screenshots so we know what we're getting into.  An about link would help too.

Screenshots of a text-based rpg simulator that's still in alpha? ;)

Also about link is in the top navbar called help.

3 hours ago, Dwynn said:

Screenshots of a text-based rpg simulator that's still in alpha? ;)

Also about link is in the top navbar called help.

OK.

I think this game has you beat: http://www.heroesofardania.net/

19 minutes ago, Dubayoo said:

OK.

I think this game has you beat: http://www.heroesofardania.net/

Awesome, wasn't even aware it existed. Never the less, I'll continue on my path.

Yea, it's a bit unknown in the backwaters of the internet.  

Have you ever played Majesty?

>  <this game> has you beat

You're a very socially dense person, Dubayoo.

You've piqued my interest Dwynn-Malone.  I'll definitely check it out.

If this is anything similar to Dragon Realms, you have my support.

Edited by Buorhann

Humans:  +1 Spirit

Elves:  -2 Strength, +1 Quickness, -1 Vitality, +1 Cunning, +1 Spirit

Dwarves: +2 Strength, -1 Quickness, +2 Vitality, -1 Cunning, -1 Spirit

Avian:  +1 Strength, +1 Quickness, -1 Vitality, -1  Cunning

Just in case anyone was wondering about the Bonus' on each race.

• Upvote 1

The Arena bit.  I feel like there needs to be an advancement to get into melee.  Such as Far, Near, Melee.  That you have to advance through in order to strike a combatant close by.  Characters that have spells or range attacks will have a reduced chance to cast if they're caught in melee (Unless it's a specific type of spell that allows easy concentration checks).

Combat.  I feel it's too easy.  I just did a combat and wasn't attacked back at all.  Will there be a way to automate defenses in case you're picked out?

If so, I recommend three settings for automation.  Aggressive, Normal, Cautious.  Cautious will seek a way out of combat (If there's a way to retreat) or will sparingly use the resources available (Stamina/Mana) to outlast an opponent.  Normal is, well, normal.  Aggressive will seek to use the most devastating attacks available to quickly end a fight.

Just my two suggestions so far.  Also, the Priest doesn't have Heal? :P

I'm in there now as well.  Also with the combat in the Arena, instead of just "Attack", there should be a choice or dropdown that will allow you to choose the type of attack you wish to use like "Smash", "Blitz" or "Kick".  You might already be able to do that, but I don't have any skills yet so I don't know. 

EDIT: Didn't read the Forum post about attacking.  I deleted my first guy and just remade a new one with a few "Attack Skills" to try it out...so now I'll try it just after the top of the hour to see how it works.

EDIT 2:  Ok, tried it out and it gave me the options on using an attack or skill......so please disregard my comment above.

EDIT3:  Just looked and it seems you only recover 1 "Stamina" point an hour.  If this is true, then folks will only really log in once a day to fight, blow their load in like 1-2 minutes then wait until the next day.  I would think that "Stamina" recovery should be linked in some way to your "Vitality".........the higher your Vitality, the quicker you should be able to recover your Stamina.

Edited by Sailor Jerry
  • Upvote 1

X4EfkAB.png

Good input, the battle system is still in it's early form. There will be status effects, etc. Plus instead of all attack related skills/spells I plan on adding buffs/debuffs as well. But right now I'm working on the adventure system so players can earn more training points by adventuring etc.

The game is in very early alpha stage at the moment, but please keep the comments coming.

14 hours ago, Buorhann said:

Just my two suggestions so far.  Also, the Priest doesn't have Heal? :P

Soon™

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Buorhann said:

>  <this game> has you beat

You're a very socially dense person, Dubayoo.

It's called discouraging vanity.  You don't want people to spend their time coming up with something where someone else already came up with something better.  The product will probably launch, flop, and the producer will wish that time was spent doing something else.

17 hours ago, Sailor Jerry said:

[snip]

I would think that "Stamina" recovery should be linked in some way to your "Vitality".........the higher your Vitality, the quicker you should be able to recover your Stamina.

I had actually intended to do that, but hadn't added it yet. Vitality > Stamina, Spirit -> Mana, that'll probably get added this weekend

So what is "Renown", how does one increase it and what is it used for?  Do our heroes have "hit points"?  If so, where are they so we can track how many we have?  Also, after doing some damage to an oppenet on several occasions, why does their status still say...."looks perfectly healthy".  Also, twice now I've tried to use my biggest attack, "blitz", anx both times have been fumbles.  Now, since the recovery of stamina is so slow I'll to wait until tomorrow to try it again.  I know it's early on in the alpha phase, but there is quite a bit of stuff that needs looking into.

X4EfkAB.png

14 hours ago, Sailor Jerry said:

So what is "Renown", how does one increase it and what is it used for?  Do our heroes have "hit points"?  If so, where are they so we can track how many we have?  Also, after doing some damage to an oppenet on several occasions, why does their status still say...."looks perfectly healthy".  Also, twice now I've tried to use my biggest attack, "blitz", anx both times have been fumbles.  Now, since the recovery of stamina is so slow I'll to wait until tomorrow to try it again.  I know it's early on in the alpha phase, but there is quite a bit of stuff that needs looking into.

Renown is nothing at the moment, it'll be a way for tracking battles basically. Kind of a "who's who in the arena" type of system where people will gain renown based on their wins in the arena.

You do have hitpoints, there is a health/mana/stamina prompt at the top of the screen when you're signed in. It always updates to whatever your current level in each of those is.

Blitz is currently a difficult skill, you will fumble it more often than you would a less difficult skill like kick or smash. The more damage a skill is capable of doing, the more difficult it is for the skill to be pulled off successfully. The difficulty of skills however is able to be tweaked easily, but in order to know the best balance I need plenty of data to look through.

Also, during battles, you still regenerate health/mana/stamina every hour. So while you may be damaging your opponent when you attack, as you wait to rebuild mana/stamina they are also regenning. Hence how they end up back at perfectly healthy.

So....tried Blitz again....fumbled again....3 times in a row.  I guess my confusion with the skills is that when spe d your points on them and get them, it says something like, "you have mastered this skill".  If I've mastered something, I'd think I'd be pretty damn good at doing it.  

Another thing is that the attack skills don't list the damage range that they do, like an "attack" doing 1d4 or a kick doing 1d6 for example.  Also there is no "chance to hit" number anywhere.  If this is based on a d20 system, maybe having the "to hit" number next to each attack form (which of course would change depending on your opponent) would allow the attacker an opportunity to determine which attack to use. Then, once the attack is made, show the generated number that was "rolled" in the log.

With the recovery of health/hit points, it seems they recover quicker then the damage that can be delt, so how is one able to win then, seems almost imposible.

X4EfkAB.png

I just tried registering at the forums and got an error when I tried to submit.  I tried again and it said I could use the same user name as I used before, but it said that the e-mail I tried using again, was already in use.  Is there any sort of in-game messaging system (PM) or something besides using the Forums? 

If anyone reading this decides to create a Hero in this new game and you are a Dwarf......sign up for the alliance "Iron Bones"....“Baruk khazâd, khazâd ai-mênu"

EDIT: Also.....it would seem right now our Heroes have no armor or weapons at their disposal from which they can purchase.  Even just basics like, Plate, Chain, Leather.  Each could have pluses and minuses like Plate would have a Damage Reduction (DR) of say 2 points, but would have a -2 on Quickness and any future stealth checks.  Or maybe certain types of weapons would work better against certain armors, like a bludgeoning weapon would be better vs plate then say a slashing weapon.  This would allow the Heroes to size up their opponent (see what armor and weapons they have) and determine which weapon they would like to use against them.  The weapon choices could be fairly straight forward like a slicing weapons;  short, long, 2-handed sword: a hand/throwing, or battle axes, bludgeoning; warhammer, club, mace or flail, piercing; spears, tridents, bolts, arrows and knives/daggers

I apologize for the lengthy walls of text, but I've played AD&D on and off since back in the late 70's.  I know this isn't really an AD&D game and by no means am I any kind of coder (I'm to old to learn that shit), but I like the idea of a text based format of an AD&D "Type" game and I think the possibilities are fairly endless.....if they can be coded somehow.     

Edited by Sailor Jerry

X4EfkAB.png

So my previous battle ended with my opponent winning even though when I last looked at the battle log, he had barely done any damage to me.  So I started up another battle.....its been over 4 hours and the battle long says....."who will make the first attack"......I would but I don't have any of the attack types buttons to choose an attack.  

X4EfkAB.png

On 11/18/2017 at 8:24 AM, Sailor Jerry said:

So my previous battle ended with my opponent winning even though when I last looked at the battle log, he had barely done any damage to me.  So I started up another battle.....its been over 4 hours and the battle long says....."who will make the first attack"......I would but I don't have any of the attack types buttons to choose an attack.  

Yeah, I have resolved that. Sorry, heh.

• 5 months later...

Just thought I'd post a quick update here, it's been quite a while.

For those who haven't followed along by playing, Legends of Duskhorn is a game I am developing devoted to the RPG-nerd in me. Players can create heroes, guilds, and go on adventures. Coming down the pipe are lootable equipment, quests, religion/aligntment based changes, and much more. Hope to see you in the arena soon! Maybe someone can take down Gloin, Jodo, or Khoulmoin!

Become a legend today!

http://duskhorn.com

2 minutes ago, Kurdanak said:

Does Jodo have a big account in your game or is a boss, per se, literally named after Jodo? Either way, amazing. :P

tumblr_o85rsdLe7S1s4c4zno1_500.gif

@Jodo has a killer kitty bandit that's fast as @#$%@#$%.  I'll leave it at that.

• Like 1