Chapter Fourteen: Encirclement

Eva-Beatrice

In the days following Halloween, Astana, as well as other major cities and towns across the nation, had just started to complete the cleanup of decorations and such that were put up for massive parties for the holiday. As was typical for most nations across the world near the end of the year, decorations were already being put up for Thanksgiving and even Christmas, which were both officially established by the government as national holidays within the last few weeks. It could certainly be said that the arrival and upcoming arrivals of said holidays greatly eased the tension that the citizens of Walpurgis had been experiencing as a result of the nation’s constant expansion and occasional threats from foreign powers. Not only did this help the average population, but the nation’s large workforce as well, benefiting Cross Industries as a whole. Furthermore, it was because of employees’ raised morale and hard work that the company had some great news to report to the Lord and Lady, and their council.

Normally, such news would be shared via video call. However, Tatsumi, the Shiki spokesperson of the company, was present in Astana today to present the news personally. He stood before Kaname and Yuki, and their council ready to give his report. “Well, it’s certainly great to see you all again.” He said in an upbeat and friendly tone. “I’m sure you’ll all be quite pleased with what we have to share with you today.” Kaname smiled and nodded. “Indeed. Please continue whenever you are ready.” Tatsumi continued. “Right. To start off, Cross would like to give a status report on the expressway and underground tunnel project initiated back in July. Due to the withdrawal from Seoul and Tokyo earlier this year, the scheduled construction of the underwater tunnels which planned to connect the two cities was cancelled. With that, the plans to construct any other underwater tunnels in the near future became non-existent. This allowed us to focus all our time and energy on the expressway project which connects the nation’s cities and towns, both major and minor. We are happy to report that the Kazakhstan Expressway System has been completed. Furthermore, the Chinese Expressway System, which connects our territory in northeast China, has also been completed. We are beginning plans to expand this into Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Iran, Azerbaijan, and Russia shortly. The actual construction for these areas is expected to begin in January.”

The first bit of news was met with positive reactions from everyone present. Kaname smiled again. “That’s quite wonderful to hear. The people, as well as us, appreciate all the hard work that’s going on at Cross.” Tatsumi replied with a small salute. “Please. It’s nothing. Happy to help out.” He glanced through his notes to find the next topic. “Ah, yes. We have an update on the restoration of the Aral Sea. As of November 1st, the restoration process is sitting pretty at 90% completion. Cross has predicted that the sea should be back to its former self before the end of the year.” Yuki spoke this time. “It’s amazing what you’re doing to help the environment! I’m glad to see it hasn’t been pushed to the side at all.” Tatsumi nodded. “Of course. The one thing I can say that humans are good at is destroying everything they touch, the planet included.”

Tatsumi set his notes down on the table. “I’ll just leave this here so you all can read the full details later. The last thing I’m to share today is something that would be easier to show you. If you would, use the teleporter to accompany me to Baku.” After some exchanged glances, everyone agreed. About a half hour later, along the coast of Baku, Tatsumi led them to their destination. As the thing he wanted to show them came into view, it captured the intrigued and impressed stares of everyone. “The last thing I wanted to share with you today is right here. I present, the first completed model of a Ragnite-powered warship developed by Cross Industries. It is the first of our Cross-line of warships which we plan to produce more of sometime next year. There’s no telling yet as to when, or how long they’ll take to produce though. It took a lot of experimenting through trial and error to produce even one model, but now that we have the formula down for the most part, it should be easier next time.” Towering over them, was a large mostly black ship with streaks of neon blue light coursing throughout it. Tatsumi continued. “The blue light that you see is the Ragnite which is used to both power and protect the ship. It addition, the cannons that are positioned all around it use Ragnite as their main method of attack. Just be careful, though. Firing more than two of any of the cannons at once will result in a considerable amount of recoil. Anyway, that’s all I’ve got. If there’s nothing else, I’ll be seeing you all.” Kaname smiled and thanked Tatsumi once again. With that, he gave one last salute before taking his leave.

z7tB2Ty.gif

Later that night, everyone was gathered back in the throne room. Kaname was presenting everyone with their next expansion plan. “With this, Walpurgis is initiating a new expansion policy that will be put into place immediately. It’s called Encirclement.” Yuki looked at him with a slightly confused expression. Ruka, on the other hand, understood what he meant by that. “So this new policy is going to involve surrounding a desired area of expansion, thus cutting it off from outside influence, isn’t that right?” Kaname nodded. “You’re correct. Although unintentionally, this was put into practice with our expansion into Siberia. It’s proven to be quite effective, allowing us to expand into an area at our own pace without any urgency.” He pulled up a map, which showed a large area of Russia surrounded. Maria looked it over. “Hm…” She put a finger to her chin. “For once, I find myself actually agreeing with you, Kaname. This is a good idea.” Kaname chuckled. “Well as long as I have your approval. We have the Meta Board to thank once again for their continued support.” He closed the map. “Lastly, we will be holding a nationwide broadcast tomorrow to officially announce this to the public, but I’ll be telling everyone here right now. I’ve assigned people to govern each one of our controlled (former) national capitals that we’ve captured, with the exception of Astana of course, and Beijing which already has Liu Xiu governing it. I’d first like to announce that the Diclonius Lucy will be the new governess of Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan. She is currently still stationed in Siberia monitoring that strange signal, however I’ve notified her that she won’t have any responsibility to fulfill in Bishkek for quite a while and not to worry about it, though I’m sure she wouldn’t have anyway.” “She still makes me uncomfortable…” Akatsuki muttered. He then spoke up. “Alright, so who else is there?” Kaname answered his question by putting the names and photos of everyone else up on the screen.

Beijing

XQ4BOTr.png

Ulaanbaatar

cg8rlu9.png

Bishkek

iWRHb5M.png

Tashkent

K2cczTb.png

Tehran

h7lXXzw.png

Baku

IfzazUB.png

Moscow

4jeCITZ.png

Edited by Eva-Beatrice
  • Upvote 2

1288901501_RokkenjimaSignature.png.0d904885417dedabec1671424bcdd01b.png

When the seagulls cried, none were left alive.

"If life is a miracle, then death is a certainty."