The Orbis Oracle (TOO): Issue 7

Ripper

Whoops, the Guardian TFP thing was a bit of a mess up. We originally did it around late July-early August, but we both thought the other person was going to post it then. As a result, we kinda didn't post it. That should be resolved shortly.

Also, some of the exaggeration to the military build up is reminiscent of  yellow press. We do not plan on attacking IQ. If hostilities are to break out it will be an aggressive move on their part. 

Lets talk about minisphers instead. 

• Upvote 2

PvczX3n.jpg?1

“ Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination. â€

–The First Ideal of the Windrunners,

4 minutes ago, Kayser said:

Also, some of the exaggeration to the military build up is reminiscent of  yellow press. We do not plan on attacking IQ. If hostilities are to break out it will be an aggressive move on their part. 

Lets talk about minisphers instead. 

Never said you (Easy Mode) were planning on attacking IQ. When pretty much every relevant alliance in this game is militarized, there's no turning back. It's been like that since I've joined the game. You (both Easy Mode and IQ) either demilitarize - which you won't from fear of the other side - or you'll be at war in the near future.

Otherwise you'll continue to lose money and resources from the military upkeep and the decreased production due to swapping econ build improvements for military ones. At the end of the day I don't care if people agree or disagree with me. I'll be here when war breaks out.

You can keep hugging pixels, but you'll still have the military upkeep and reduced econ / production to deal with. IQ and Easy Mode don't trust each other to agree upon a joint demilitarization. You can obviously not go to war and call the cash and resources spent militarizing a waste.

As for me personally, I'll always find a war when I really wanna fight. So the rest of you just keep doing your thing. :) 

I'd like to see a different perspective from INH that focuses on paperless and what they plan to do. I'm more interested in that than simulations from Easy Mode's and IQ's perspective.

Good job, guys! Thanks for putting in the work to keep Orbis in the loop!

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Queen M said:

I'd like to see a different perspective from INH that focuses on paperless and what they plan to do. I'm more interested in that than simulations from Easy Mode's and IQ's perspective.

Good job, guys! Thanks for putting in the work to keep Orbis in the loop!

I wouldn't even know where to begin though. Most alliances non-aligned with IQ or Easy Mode are extremely unpredictable. For instance I have no idea what the likes of Hogwarts, CoS or GOB would do in the event of a global war. Hell, add to that Nuke Bloc, Roz Wei, KT, tTO, Sparta and even t$, tC and CF.

Sure it'd be an interesting exercise, but I would have nothing to base my analysis on. At least with paper treaties you have a rough idea of what might happen and the possible scenarios that may occur. I highly doubt even people in the loop would have an idea of what these alliances might do if a global war broke out.

2 hours ago, Kayser said:

Also, some of the exaggeration to the military build up is reminiscent of  yellow press. We do not plan on attacking IQ. If hostilities are to break out it will be an aggressive move on their part. Lets talk about minisphers instead. 

I am sorry if you see it as yellow press, but I would like to remind to everyone that the newspaper is a joint task, with people coming from IQ, Easy Mode and paperless alliances. The team is also open to everyone that wants to join and fix anything that may be needing fixing. Our main target is first providing real news, and then entertaining or educating players, be it on economy, military matters or diplomacy. The military simulation was added after request from the readers and feedback we got. For the same reason we interview players with different playstyles rather than the same and same alliance leaders. And we may go on with politics analyses in the future.

Regarding the news per se, I am pretty sure that militarization in quite many alliances the past week is a fact that no one can deny. Not all alliances have militarized, but we can see a rise even in paperless alliances, mini-blocs or other teams. The news were the militarization part, which is true. Everything else is just a military simulation and opinion. Nowhere was presented the fact that X will attack Y as news. So, I don't think this is a form of yellow press.

In any case, since both sides are quite discontent with INH's analysis, it is either well-balanced enough or... complete nonsense. :P
In which case, military experts from any coallition are free to provide their own view as guest editors or new, regular editors.

Thanks for reading us by the way. :D

Gave you a new mask on the CS discord in relation to this paper. :P

• Upvote 1

UQllJcz.png?2

2nd, 4th, and 6th Adelphotes Princeps of Cornerstone, Ambassador to Black Knights, 4th Grand Pilus of Cornerstone, 2nd Chaplain of Cornerstone, 5th Questor Princeps of Cornerstone

2 hours ago, Ripper said:

I am sorry if you see it as yellow press, but I would like to remind to everyone that the newspaper is a joint task, with people coming from IQ, Easy Mode and paperless alliances. The team is also open to everyone that wants to join and fix anything that may be needing fixing. Our main target is first providing real news, and then entertaining or educating players, be it on economy, military matters or diplomacy. The military simulation was added after request from the readers and feedback we got. For the same reason we interview players with different playstyles rather than the same and same alliance leaders. And we may go on with politics analyses in the future.

Regarding the news per se, I am pretty sure that militarization in quite many alliances the past week is a fact that no one can deny. Not all alliances have militarized, but we can see a rise even in paperless alliances, mini-blocs or other teams. The news were the militarization part, which is true. Everything else is just a military simulation and opinion. Nowhere was presented the fact that X will attack Y as news. So, I don't think this is a form of yellow press.

In any case, since both sides are quite discontent with INH's analysis, it is either well-balanced enough or... complete nonsense. :P
In which case, military experts from any coallition are free to provide their own view as guest editors or new, regular editors.

Thanks for reading us by the way. :D

I wasn't referring to my analysis in my objection. It was the suggestion that one or either side has military plans. There is nothing to indicate that and in the article stating that war is inevitable is false reporting and that is the yellow press I was referring to 

PvczX3n.jpg?1

1 minute ago, Kayser said:

I wasn't referring to my analysis in my objection. It was the suggestion that one or either side has military plans. There is nothing to indicate that and in the article stating that war is inevitable is false reporting and that is the yellow press I was referring to 

I think that only time will prove that, but...

K7srG30QTbCmI9P503a1zw.jpeg

I still think that an opinion or analysis of this kind is not what you would call "yellow press". The motives for using it are just not there.
The opinion or analysis may be wrong, but I am pretty sure that no one really cares about using tricks to increase circulation in a community of 300 active players...

Someone with experience on a matter presents some facts (e.g. militarization / former events) and makes some conclusions based on this very experience. He may be wrong or may be right. But that will be the case just for the analysis. The analysis is not the news.

In any case, there is a reason we put that disclaimer there. :v

Call it a difference of opinion then, because when I see someone make a statement as fact I call that as a report on the news. Might just be me though. 

PvczX3n.jpg?1

I, for one, am outraged that I have no one new that I didn't know we had tensions with! Not that I want to cheat on Justin and TCW, mind you :wub:. I just thought there would be different tensions in the Easy Mode piece. :P

I loved the interview with Tywin. I'm going to refer all the many members I have who cannot fathom how raiders think to that interview. They probably still won't understand but it might get through to a few of them.

Edited by Malichy
  • Upvote 4

MofFA United Purple Nations

Former Grosskomtur, FA Minister and Spitler (IA) -Teutonic Order. Former Reclusiarch (IA) - UPN.

le61twR.png

Still a considerable spike in militarization, which was the point I wanted to get across. Then again it's understandable why most alliances aren't as militarized as they should. For EMC they can't be too big if they ever plan on going on the offensive. For IQ it's to stay as out of range as possible, making it that much harder for the enemy to go on the offensive.

But don't worry... The OWF wall of text foreplay has already kicked off. In no more than 2 weeks you should have your party. Otherwise it'll just be a poor quality show of all bark and no bite. I guess time will prove who's right and who's wrong, but at the end of the day I couldn't care less because I can make my own fun in this game.

Edited by Insert Name Here

2 hours ago, Insert Name Here said:

Still a considerable spike in militarization, which was the point I wanted to get across. Then again it's understandable why most alliances aren't as militarized as they should. For EMC they can't be too big if they ever plan on going on the offensive. For IQ it's to stay as out of range as possible, making it that much harder for the enemy to go on the offensive.

But don't worry... The OWF wall of text foreplay has already kicked off. In no more than 2 weeks you should have your party. Otherwise it'll just be a poor quality show of all bark and no bite. I guess time will prove who's right and who's wrong, but at the end of the day I couldn't care less because I can make my own fun in this game.

I predict disappointment in your future.

• Upvote 3

[11:52 PM] Prefontaine: But Keegoz is actually bad. [11:52 PM] Prefontaine: He's my favorite bad leader though.

9 hours ago, Apollo said:

I'm not here to throw shade at you guys, I love what you do. But I feel encouraged to bring some facts to the table.

C3bZDllRTXWtWsEEIY6lTg.png

As you can see per this beautiful sheet, almost fully or fully militarised alliances are the Nuke bloc, Hogwarts, Rose and GoB (Valkyrie has big numbers as well, same goes for Coalition and Spanish Armada, and Bad Company bloc down the list). 

I don't think I'd be ever doing this, but I guess I'm going to defend Inqusition now. As you can see, they are, apart from Acadia, heavily demilitarised. Most of them run on full planes only (peacemode setup). Some alliances on EMC side have bumped up their numbers up to 20-40%, and we see some unaligned and paperless people doing the same due to tensions. But that is not full militarisaton, nor it is a point of no going back. 

I agree that IQ and EMC don't trust each other, but in this case, IQ is already demilitarised, there's no point in joint demilitarization when one side didn't militarise in the first place.

When that table goes fully soviet, shit is going to hit the fan. However, as of right now, that is not the case. It can change, of course, in matter of weeks or even days. I'm not saying nothing will happen, but at this moment, although tension exists, they are somewhat forced from the NAP expiry date and from sideline events not directly focused between IQ and EMC.

Huh. That puts things a little into perspective. Not too sure how the breakdown would look for TFP, but as we're basically the sacrificial low tier lamb for our coalition and are going to be outnumbered forever in a war (which will most likely lead to many of us looking like Detroit after being nuked like we saw last time), we kinda went "o shit" when we heard "militarizing" and went around mashing the military recruitment button so we don't get caught with our pants down.

Some of those airplane recruitment percentages are quite shocking though, like Zodiac's 50 or so percent. Would have thought it'd be higher.

10 hours ago, Apollo said:

I'm not here to throw shade at you guys, I love what you do. But I feel encouraged to bring some facts to the table.

C3bZDllRTXWtWsEEIY6lTg.png

As you can see per this beautiful sheet, almost fully or fully militarised alliances are the Nuke bloc, Hogwarts, Rose and GoB (Valkyrie has big numbers as well, same goes for Coalition and Spanish Armada, and Bad Company bloc down the list). 

I don't think I'd be ever doing this, but I guess I'm going to defend Inqusition now. As you can see, they are, apart from Acadia, heavily demilitarised. Most of them run on full planes only (peacemode setup). Some alliances on EMC side have bumped up their numbers up to 20-40%, and we see some unaligned and paperless people doing the same due to tensions. But that is not full militarisaton, nor it is a point of no going back. 

I agree that IQ and EMC don't trust each other, but in this case, IQ is already demilitarised, there's no point in joint demilitarization when one side didn't militarise in the first place.

When that table goes fully soviet, shit is going to hit the fan. However, as of right now, that is not the case. It can change, of course, in matter of weeks or even days. I'm not saying nothing will happen, but at this moment, although tension exists, they are somewhat forced from the NAP expiry date and from sideline events not directly focused between IQ and EMC.

7 hours ago, Insert Name Here said:

Or, if you wanna get into down and dirty guerrilla journalism, the culprit of these war rumors can be sussed out and grilled on why all this effort has been made to psych alliances out. That would be interesting....

1 hour ago, Queen M said:

Or, if you wanna get into down and dirty guerrilla journalism, the culprit of these war rumors can be sussed out and grilled on why all this effort has been made to psych alliances out. That would be interesting....

Meme.jpg

• Upvote 3

Cheers!

If it's stupid but it works, it's not stupid. ?