Never Forget...

Patty

Today, for me at least, is September 11th, the day America was attacked by terrorist members of Al Qeada via hijacking airplanes and crashing them into the World Trade Center and the Pentagon. It has been 16 years since this has happened, and we continue to remember it due to its impact on the nation and the world. Approximately 2,996 were killed an over 6,000 were wounded. This count includes those who died in the plane crashes and in the Pentagon. Some of those ones who were lost may included people on here, including me. My uncle Timothy Brian Higgins was found dead on the week I was born, with a woman wrapped in his arms. He still hears that beeping noise that goes off when a fireman is in distress. He still even remembers the people who came to help, like the pizza guy. My dad still mourns the day that he lost and found his brother, and he believes that I was a gift to him to make up for the loss, giving me the nickname "The Miracle Baby". But that's enough about me. What matters is that the people of the United States of America are to stay united no matter what. We may be divided on political issues, race, riots, and gender, but in reality we are all equal.

Even if you are not from America, you are still affected. Things like airport security and other terrorist attacks are affecting others as well. The fact that there are people out there like Al Qaeda and ISIS is sickening. This day should be a reminder to the world that even though it may be filled with evil, hate, and misery, we still have a chance to get back up on our feet and fight for what is right. President George Bush once said in an interview that 9/11 shows that there is evil in the world, and the world is not as great as it seems. However, even if it is filled with hate, that also means it is filled with good. You can't have the yin without the yang. Seeing things like people helping each other out really reminds me that we can recover from disasters from 9/11, and that we should not only remember this day as a day of sorrow, but also a day of hope.

Edited by Catsby
  • Upvote 3
"There's nothing you can know that isn't known,
Nothing you can see that isn't shown,
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be,
All you need is love,
Love is all you need."

Well said.  On 11Sep2001, I was stationed in Pearl Harbor Hawaii aboard an Aegis class Destroyer.  On that day, around 0800 local time, we were suppose to get underway and moor at the naval weapons magazine across the harbor at Lualualei to do a two day weapons onload for the ships upcoming 6-month deployment which would leave in Oct.  So, early......I mean early in the morning, I get woke up by a phone call from my parents in Caly.  I was living off base at the time with my wife and then, 1 year old daughter.  I answered the phone to my hysterical mother screaming that we've just been attacked and what is going on, etc, etc and her yelling at me to turn on the news.  My wife and I didn't have the TV on for more than a couple of minutes before we watched the 2nd plane hit the WTC.  I looked at my wife and said "I have to get to the ship.....now"

I packed my seabag and made the 1/2 mile jog to base.  The gate was already starting to back up due to vehicular traffic.  The base was already in the process of going into complete shutdown......military personnel only allowed on......no dependents......no civilian contracts.  Once I got to my ship, things were moving quickly.  The quarterdeck was passing the word for "Reveilie, reveille".  Mind you though, that usually doesn't happen until 0600.....every morning.  I make down into the 75 man berthing compartment as people are waking up, swearing and cursing at "Why the hell is reveille being called so !@#$ing early!".  I slammed on the lights and put the TV to CNN......everyone who had duty that night and slept aboard, were watching with glazed eyes and jaws dropped.  So about 0500, the C.O. comes on to the announcing system and tells everyone to inside the skin of the ship.  After a brief pause, he starts again.  "This morning, we were suppose to go and do our onload......that has now changed.  We are the only ship in the area capable of getting underway.  Of the other 3 ships inport,one in drydock, the other two are in various states of heavy maintenance efforts and the majority of their systems are not up and ready.  We have been tasked by DESRON (destroyer squadron commanders official title), to get underway and take up a position off of Diamond Head and act as the State's air defense platform.  Make preparations for getting the ship underway in 30 minutes.  Make all readiness reports to the Officer of the Deck who is now movinging his watch from the Quarterdeck to the Bridge.  That is all". 

I might not have recalled it exactly, but that was pretty much the jest of it.  So for the next 14 days, we did figure-8s about 15 miles off the coast of Oahu....tracking and reporting all air tracks and working in conjunction with the Air Force at Hickam Air Base.  I only personally knew one person who died that day.  He was "  Michael Allen Noeth, 30, of Jackson Heights, New York.   http://projects.washingtonpost.com/911victims/michael-allen-noeth/  I always thought he was a bit of odd duck, but a great guy none the less. 

Let us never forget this day and keep all those died and all those who risked everything to help protect those who lived. 

• Upvote 6

X4EfkAB.png