Why Is Corporate America Siding with Social Justice Warriors?

Dubayoo

http://www.intellectualtakeout.org/article/corporate-america-abandoning-neutrality-and-entering-social-justice-fray

Excellent article here that highlights how basically, corporate America's obsession with office politics in recruiting and retaining employees has gone hand in hand with the onset of political correctness.  In turn, it has a very deliberate motive to support instead of confront SJWs because it realizes how psychologically, they're on the same side even if their philosophies are diametrically opposed.

It is stated pretty clearly in the article itself mate. When it comes to singers, artists, and the like the smart move in politics is to simply not say anything. You go all in against Conservatives and they're buying your music or whatever... then that ain't going to be good. It is only fine from a money perspective to speak politics in that manner if you can sure that your cash flow is entirely reliant on the end of politics you're supporting. Now when it comes to business doing nothing is not doing nothing, it is taking a stand for the opposite side, the one opposed to progress and all that. You stand against this progress and they'll try to destroy you with boycotts of the business which can also target the guys in charge as it'll be pointed out that they are against gay marriage or something and he'll be crucified for it.

4 hours ago, Rozalia said:

It is stated pretty clearly in the article itself mate. When it comes to singers, artists, and the like the smart move in politics is to simply not say anything. You go all in against Conservatives and they're buying your music or whatever... then that ain't going to be good. It is only fine from a money perspective to speak politics in that manner if you can sure that your cash flow is entirely reliant on the end of politics you're supporting. Now when it comes to business doing nothing is not doing nothing, it is taking a stand for the opposite side, the one opposed to progress and all that. You stand against this progress and they'll try to destroy you with boycotts of the business which can also target the guys in charge as it'll be pointed out that they are against gay marriage or something and he'll be crucified for it.

Boycotts are irrelevant when companies maintain solidarity among each other.  That's why you're supposed to have Chambers of Commerce.  They set standards that none of the companies will break or else those companies will be ostracized from supply chains.  Consumers have to go to someone to buy what they need whether it's this, that, or the other supplier.  Yes, you have competition, but in business, competition is supposed to be strictly about price and brand awareness, not compromising the properness behind property rights which allows the free market to exist entirely.  

The problem is the position these businesses are taking now are compromising the integrity of the free market just to become marketable.  We're not talking about mere advertising slogans here.  We're talking about positions that have real world impacts on how politics regulate the system.

The article's points are as follows:

1) Companies are opposing "religious liberty" to go along with bullies.  I don't really like that phrase, but the point is they're compromising on principles just to go along with transgender politics that are really just about creating reckless chaos.  Instead of ensuring that the overwhelming majority of children are accommodated in being raised appropriately, the exception to the rule is given more attention than it deserves by expecting everyone else to accommodate it,

2) Companies are giving into clicktivism on social media for the sake of grabbing short-term attention.  The notion of appreciating long-term discipline that punishes outbursts has been forsakened.  Companies are also giving in to sensationalist advertising instead of caring about the substance behind effective operations,

3) Companies are concerned about workers being attuned to social justice movements.  They don't care about workers appreciating the values that enabled their workplace to exist.  Instead, those managing workplaces now have subverted operations from their original intents, and are willing to accommodate the future potential workforce.

• Downvote 1

To be entirely fair, it's generally a safe position for companies to take when the issue is either for or against an ideology that praises dictatorial fanatical militarism whose end goal is the forced subjugation and extermination of all "lesser" races. But enough about 200 unemployed stupid whiny little shits on internet dark forums. 

Corporate America is the source of all things wrong with political correctness. They have turned PC (or the ideological opposite, "biblical values") into a commodity to sell. The best way to characterize this is through the recent backlash from the Kendall Jenner Pepsi Protest commercial that aired a while back. The Pepsi ad is LITERALLY selling you activism in a !@#$ing can:

This shouldn't come as a surprise to people. Corporate America has always been interested in one thing, and that's numbers at the bottom of a fatass spreadsheet.

As for whether or not this is something that is "good" or "bad," I think you have to look at it in the context of Corporate America's interests: i.e. consumerism and neo-liberalism. I disagree with you both on the best course of action for companies. I don't think that the best thing they can do is to stay neutral and outside of politics. Particularly today, where there is a shifting demographic that is almost entirely integrated into telecommunications, it is in the best interests of Corporate America to jump in and sell PC as a product. Naturally, there is a double-edged sword to it all, as we can see in the backlash of the Pepsi commercial. 

PC as a product is probably the most ingenious thing ever, because it involves two things: "Feel good" moments when you put a dollar into a jar that says "for the poor" while collectively giving no !@#$ about it in real life. This is the facebook equivalent of posting a wall of text saying how you shed salty tears into your pillow about X disadvantaged population while going about your daily life and doing nothing, except you get a nice Pepsi product out of it. Of course, there are actual things that corporations do in terms of political influence (of which the article highlights) and there are people on facebook who actually organize events around charity and making a change, but as a product to be sold, PC culture is the new iphone. 

• Upvote 3

It's a useful mental exercise. Through the years, many thinkers have been fascinated by it. But I don't enjoy playing. It was a game that was born during a brutal age when life counted for little. Everyone believed that some people were worth more than others. Kings. Pawns. I don't think that anyone is worth more than anyone else. Chess is just a game. Real people are not pieces. You can't assign more value to some of them and not others. Not to me. Not to anyone. People are not a thing that you can sacrifice. The lesson is, if anyone who looks on to the world as if it was a game of chess, deserves to lose.

30 minutes ago, Caecus said:

To be entirely fair, it's generally a safe position for companies to take when the issue is either for or against an ideology that praises dictatorial fanatical militarism whose end goal is the forced subjugation and extermination of all "lesser" races. But enough about 200 unemployed stupid whiny little shits on internet dark forums. 

Corporate America is the source of all things wrong with political correctness. They have turned PC (or the ideological opposite, "biblical values") into a commodity to sell. The best way to characterize this is through the recent backlash from the Kendall Jenner Pepsi Protest commercial that aired a while back. The Pepsi ad is LITERALLY selling you activism in a !@#$ing can:

This shouldn't come as a surprise to people. Corporate America has always been interested in one thing, and that's numbers at the bottom of a fatass spreadsheet.

As for whether or not this is something that is "good" or "bad," I think you have to look at it in the context of Corporate America's interests: i.e. consumerism and neo-liberalism. I disagree with you both on the best course of action for companies. I don't think that the best thing they can do is to stay neutral and outside of politics. Particularly today, where there is a shifting demographic that is almost entirely integrated into telecommunications, it is in the best interests of Corporate America to jump in and sell PC as a product. Naturally, there is a double-edged sword to it all, as we can see in the backlash of the Pepsi commercial. 

PC as a product is probably the most ingenious thing ever, because it involves two things: "Feel good" moments when you put a dollar into a jar that says "for the poor" while collectively giving no !@#$ about it in real life. This is the facebook equivalent of posting a wall of text saying how you shed salty tears into your pillow about X disadvantaged population while going about your daily life and doing nothing, except you get a nice Pepsi product out of it. Of course, there are actual things that corporations do in terms of political influence (of which the article highlights) and there are people on facebook who actually organize events around charity and making a change, but as a product to be sold, PC culture is the new iphone. 

Wow dude you make my brain bleed.

2 hours ago, Dubayoo said:

Boycotts are irrelevant when companies maintain solidarity among each other.  That's why you're supposed to have Chambers of Commerce.  They set standards that none of the companies will break or else those companies will be ostracized from supply chains.  Consumers have to go to someone to buy what they need whether it's this, that, or the other supplier.  Yes, you have competition, but in business, competition is supposed to be strictly about price and brand awareness, not compromising the properness behind property rights which allows the free market to exist entirely.  

The problem is the position these businesses are taking now are compromising the integrity of the free market just to become marketable.  We're not talking about mere advertising slogans here.  We're talking about positions that have real world impacts on how politics regulate the system.

The article's points are as follows:

1) Companies are opposing "religious liberty" to go along with bullies.  I don't really like that phrase, but the point is they're compromising on principles just to go along with transgender politics that are really just about creating reckless chaos.  Instead of ensuring that the overwhelming majority of children are accommodated in being raised appropriately, the exception to the rule is given more attention than it deserves by expecting everyone else to accommodate it,

2) Companies are giving into clicktivism on social media for the sake of grabbing short-term attention.  The notion of appreciating long-term discipline that punishes outbursts has been forsakened.  Companies are also giving in to sensationalist advertising instead of caring about the substance behind effective operations,

3) Companies are concerned about workers being attuned to social justice movements.  They don't care about workers appreciating the values that enabled their workplace to exist.  Instead, those managing workplaces now have subverted operations from their original intents, and are willing to accommodate the future potential workforce.

You are an idiot, devoid of real world experience. You seem smarter when you are quiet.

Are you originally from Earth, too?

Proud owner of Harry's goat. It's mine now.

I now own MinesomeMC's goat, too. It's starting to look like a herd.

Yep, it is a herd. Aldwulf has added his goat, too, and it ain't Irish.

6 minutes ago, Buck Turgidson said:

You are an idiot, devoid of real world experience. You seem smarter when you are quiet.

If anyone is, that's you.  Go back to teaching.

1 hour ago, Dubayoo said:

If anyone is, that's you.  Go back to teaching.

There you go again...

6 hours ago, Buck Turgidson said:

There you go again...

Where am I going?

Tell you what.  I've been a customs broker, a quality assurance auditor, and am now a life insurance agent.  I've actually worked in businesses and know how they pander.  What I read in the news is no surprise.  It completely fits with how office politics really works.

What you've been is a teacher who wants to enable kids to screw around to screw up the free market.  

Please.  Don't tell me who's an idiot. 

Actually I have only started teaching a few years ago. 

I have lived on 3 continents, and sold artwork, electrical and plumbing supplies, ERP systems (Oracle), supply chain solutions (Fedex), esoteric networking equipment for intel agencies, and tires on 4 continents and in 30 countries. I am now launching my own business, selling an invention of my own (part software, part hardware), while leaving the university teaching in favour of delivering vocational (adult) education at a local school. 

Customs brokers, and QA folks are support staff in my books. Nothing wrong with that at all, but you can drop your pretensions if you ever plan to leave your home town and see how things work on the next street. Life insurance broker is a career of last resort for uncoachable salespeople, interestingly, who usually think they know everything - it will either humble you or leave you crooked.

Since you don't get it here it is again: you are an idiot.

Edited by Buck Turgidson

Sounds like you're the idiot, so you need to engage in personal attacks just to derail the topic.  On top of that, you've no idea about any of the industries I'm talking about in how they deal with people on a regular basis, especially when you suggest I need to get out of my hometown despite being a customs broker which literally deals with international trade.  If you think life insurance brokering deals can be made while being uncoachable, you're completely out of your mind. 

I'm seriously getting the impression you're just making stuff up about yourself now as well.  Nobody really cares about your personal background, especially since it can't be verified.  Even if it was, it has no bearing on the topic.  Heck, if anyone shouldn't be a teacher, it's someone like you who engages in personal attacks.  That's the sort of behavior a teacher is supposed to discipline in the classroom.

Grow up.

On 8/31/2017 at 11:26 AM, Rozalia said:

It is stated pretty clearly in the article itself mate. When it comes to singers, artists, and the like the smart move in politics is to simply not say anything. You go all in against Conservatives and they're buying your music or whatever... then that ain't going to be good. It is only fine from a money perspective to speak politics in that manner if you can sure that your cash flow is entirely reliant on the end of politics you're supporting. Now when it comes to business doing nothing is not doing nothing, it is taking a stand for the opposite side, the one opposed to progress and all that. You stand against this progress and they'll try to destroy you with boycotts of the business which can also target the guys in charge as it'll be pointed out that they are against gay marriage or something and he'll be crucified for it.  Which celebrities of supreme quality in the entertainment sector to use in movies if we only wanted to cast conservatives? Poor quality, but somehow famous actor Jon Voight? Great director, but close to death Clint Eastwood? Unfunny pseudo-comedian Dennis something. The entertainment industry relies on a stable of people who are predominantly, some might even indicate them as hegemonic within that industry as political liberals of Hillary-class or above. if you decline to use them you're well within your rights to do so and to make negative profit as a result of its poor screening. If you outlaw bathroom access like a certain state, you should assume most people, even those who hold your beliefs as their own are going to start doing what's necessary to withdraw from your state and keep doing so until the problematic laws are adjusted to the satisfaction of the groups and populations demanding them.

On 9/1/2017 at 1:54 AM, Dubayoo said:

Where am I going?

Tell you what.  I've been a customs broker, a quality assurance auditor, and am now a life insurance agent.  I've actually worked in businesses and know how they pander.  What I read in the news is no surprise.  It completely fits with how office politics really works.

What you've been is a teacher who wants to enable kids to screw around to screw up the free market.  

Please.  Don't tell me who's an idiot.  I did an internship selling credit cards on the higher end of the market. We had two big rules aside from obvious things: you're not permitted to hangup before the customer and aside from a small number of techniques to distract them or move them on. That I wasn't permitted to ask the relationship of an authorized user on the account (this is another credit card issued to someone, but the costs it is used on being attached to your account and being your debt rather than theirs. I endured at least a 20 minute speech by a conservative baptist pastor on so much religious stuff and so on are signs of a ruined society for so long my manager came over to listen in and afterward agreed I'd done as I'd been told, but did offer a few small tricks to try to get them off the topic or distracted enough to want to end the call for the future.  PC or not, if I assume an authorized user given by the customer is his wife and his wife's recently deceased and it is actually his daugher how would that go over, do you think? Better or worse?

GICjEwp.gif

On 9/1/2017 at 8:41 PM, Dubayoo said:

Sounds like you're the idiot, so you need to engage in personal attacks just to derail the topic.  On top of that, you've no idea about any of the industries I'm talking about in how they deal with people on a regular basis, especially when you suggest I need to get out of my hometown despite being a customs broker which literally deals with international trade.  If you think life insurance brokering deals can be made while being uncoachable, you're completely out of your mind. 

I'm seriously getting the impression you're just making stuff up about yourself now as well.  Nobody really cares about your personal background, especially since it can't be verified.  Even if it was, it has no bearing on the topic.  Heck, if anyone shouldn't be a teacher, it's someone like you who engages in personal attacks.  That's the sort of behavior a teacher is supposed to discipline in the classroom.

Grow up.

No, YOU're the idiot. So there. LOLOLOL

I just have a pet peeve for false intellectuals whose misuse of words and concepts propagates confusion. Most real-world educators have this same weakness - ask around. Look up the Von Manstein matrix for the correlation:

von-mansteins-matrix.jpg

You're the red bit.

You're right that nothing is verifiable - just random words on the internet. The thing is, I ain't lying, and I have not questioned your truthfulness. 'The hardest thing for liars is not that no one believes them, but that they don't believe anyone else...'

30 minutes ago, ComradeMilton said:

That's a tough racket, but an interesting game. I started my sales career selling original artwork and reproductions. Original artwork was SO much bullshit, and the reproduction business was basically selling Monet by the yard (mostly Jardin à Giverny lol). It was the best possible consultative sales training, given how subjective the product was - no feature dropping at all. The store went out of business when our local political issues weighed on the economy, luxuries and so much else died out, and downtown Montréal was boarded up.

The worst job I ever had (right after the art store closed) was cleaning an underground parking garage with a scraper and a shovel - winter brings in a lot of muck. I made less than 5$ an hour for that in those days. I had to quit school for a couple of years, moved out to Alberta and loaded pipe by hand into trucks in -45C (without the wind chill) to earn 12$ an hour.  Given the way the economy was, that seemed like a lot of money at the time, and it makes me count my blessings to this day.

I was incredibly lucky to have been picked out by the company IT guy, an ex-IBMer, who put me on a project, and told me to finish my degree ASAP and then got me into interviews with IBM and Oracle. What IBM hated about me (imagine the worst possible interview), Oracle loved, and that was my break. This is why I am stepping away from the University level and going to vocational - I hope to do the same for someone one day, and I am not in it for the pay - I have done well, and hope my product will do better. Also, most of the folks in the vocational programs I will be teaching are immigrants, and they need a leg up in a world filled with so much small-mindedness.

Everyone has a story, and everyone is a legend in their own mind. You literally can't make this shit up - truth is invariably stranger than fiction.

Corporate America is the same as Corporate Europe, and Corporate Asia: it is populated by you and me, and whose demand is driven by the same people. Personifying corporations accomplishes nothing - all individuals and business entities, like animals, are striving to survive, and competition dictates that they exploit every possible avenue or perish. I deeply suspicious of the motives of anyone who wants to interfere with this mission.

• Upvote 1

*Eyeroll*

Just because someone doesn't see things the way you do doesn't make someone a false-intellectual.

If anything, a false-intellectual is someone who expects everyone to see things the way you do.

I don't really care about your personal background, nor do I really care to share mine with you.  What you believe in being right or wrong has nothing to do with your personal experience.  If anything, this is exactly what afflicted traditional conservatives long ago from being close-minded, and it's shameful to see modern liberals like yourself follow their path to make similar mistakes even if they're less wrong.

Perhaps you're a Rockfeller Republican.  That would explain how you refuse to control yourself in laughing like that.  Regardless, you certainly appear to be the worst of both worlds, and have no sense of maturity when it comes to having discussions with respect.

Edited by Dubayoo

3 hours ago, Dubayoo said:

*Eyeroll*

Just because someone doesn't see things the way you do doesn't make someone a false-intellectual.

If anything, a false-intellectual is someone who expects everyone to see things the way you do.

I don't really care about your personal background, nor do I really care to share mine with you.  What you believe in being right or wrong has nothing to do with your personal experience.  If anything, this is exactly what afflicted traditional conservatives long ago from being close-minded, and it's shameful to see modern liberals like yourself follow their path to make similar mistakes even if they're less wrong.

Perhaps you're a Rockfeller Republican.  That would explain how you refuse to control yourself in laughing like that.  Regardless, you certainly appear to be the worst of both worlds, and have no sense of maturity when it comes to having discussions with respect.

Tagging every second word with "-ism" is the obvious sign of the false intellectual. The more damaging part is using words you clearly don't understand in the wrong context.

I literally have no idea if I agree with you or not. Background is irrelevant.

PS it is funny that you think I am a liberal.

Edited by Buck Turgidson
  • Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Rozalia said:

Where does this talk of Conservatives come from dear Milton? Do you think I am a Conservative? That it? No. I've never seen you identify your politics and unless I'm replying to you I don't generally remember you exist.

GICjEwp.gif

2 hours ago, Buck Turgidson said:

Tagging every second word with "-ism" is the obvious sign of the false intellectual. The more damaging part is using words you clearly don't understand in the wrong context.

I literally have no idea if I agree with you or not. Background is irrelevant.

PS it is funny that you think I am a liberal.

Claiming people use words they don't understand is the sign of a false intellectual.  It suggests you don't understand how words have a range of multiple definitions from narrow linear thinking.

Case in point, you ignored what was said about being a Rockefeller Republican or worst of both worlds while claiming I think you're a liberal.  

Edited by Dubayoo

Haha - I just happened to be reading this:

http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20170904-how-to-avoid-writing-irritating-emails

Have a look at the Keep It Simple bit.

There is a whole world outside of the US - not everyone immediately gets your local expressions. Try using common words and you may find the joy of connecting with people and getting your ideas across to others. No one is going to google every local term you use - from what I can tell you don't actually have much to contribute. Prove me wrong.

Edited by Buck Turgidson

Milton it is quite obvious your memory is so shot you can't even remember what you said a couple of posts ago (I suppose keeping track of all the lies is hard). However to claim that you forget the Roz is simply a lie. You wouldn't be the current in a line of many to carry out a campaign on here against me if you were forgetting my presence. 

Edited by Rozalia

It's not a campaign, you just post a lot and it's often full of petty insults, lies, false quotations or listings of beliefs you can then dispute with yourself and so on. The reason I post so much with you is because we both post a lot in the same topics. It doesn't make for a memorable experience at all, no.

GICjEwp.gif