Baseball into Soccer

Doktor Avalanche

Is there any chance we could "choose" a different sport, say, Soccer! Instead of Baseball?

I enjoy baseball but a Soccer team is prime imho. Would anyone else enjoy a Soccer team instead of Baseball?

• Upvote 6

*Shooting

It's in both Summer and Winter Olympics. ;)

Sheepy won't change it, though. A ton of people wanted soccer and Sheepy said he didn't want to re-code baseball. (IIRC, Sheepy said baseball was an international game or something like that and all non-Americans got triggered.) We did have a player-run soccer thing going at one time. You could start that back up. 

• Upvote 1

NODOLsmall.png.a7aa9c0a05fa266425cd7e83d8ccb3dd.png

5 hours ago, WISD0MTREE said:

IIRC, Sheepy said baseball was an international game or something like that and all non-Americans got triggered.

Isnt Baseball only played by the United states, and Toronto?

• Upvote 1

HoloSig2017.png.afe1505c82cc3db09be025a9

3 hours ago, Callum said:

Isnt Baseball only played by the United states, and Toronto?

Japan plays it some. Maybe some shitty villages in Africa where missionaries and/or charities have helped also play. Other than that, I don't think anyone else does. 

NODOLsmall.png.a7aa9c0a05fa266425cd7e83d8ccb3dd.png

4 minutes ago, WISD0MTREE said:

Japan plays it some. Maybe some shitty villages in Africa where missionaries and/or charities have helped also play. Other than that, I don't think anyone else does. 

I think it's big in Mexico, too.

East Asia, somewhat in South America, Oceania, Western Europe and the Caribbean, but it is only prominent in North America. A few leagues formed but are now defunct across the globe.

This is why I would love to see us use Soccer being used as the sport in game. It is everywhere, and it is now in the top five followed in the US, almost tying in popularity with Hockey which is the fourth most followed sport.

Edited by Doc Martini
  • Upvote 1

Baseball is played in Korea, Japan, the Philippines, Taiwan, and all across the Americas.  The national game of Finland is Pesäpallo which is a more condensed version of the game with an extra base. Baseball was even an Olympic sport until 2012 when it was deemed "too American" even though the US only won a single gold medal and two bronzes. Cuba won 3 golds while it was an Olympic sport. 

Sheepy went with baseball because the stats are easy to code. Each inning and frame have relatively easy algorithms to determine outcomes. A single pitcher vs a series of batters every inning with only a few possible outcomes means that it is remarkably easier for Sheepy. 

omZZUOt.png?2  

<&Partisan> I'm roleplaying a not snake

• 3 months later...
  • Administrators

If I were to redo it, I would have done soccer/football as it's a more universal sport. However, baseball is far easier to "truly" simulate. Each baseball game that you play is simulated, play by play, from the pitch to the hit to where the hit goes to who catches it, etc.

Of course, no one looks at the detailed simulation of the game and I don't even display it anymore, just the highlights. In the end, it would've made just as much sense to have created a pseudo simulator of soccer that wasn't play by play at all, just roll a couple of dice and give you a "score" and call it good.

At this point, though, I don't really care enough to change it. It's far from an integral part of the game, and if I were to do anything at this point I think I'd just remove "sports" completely, as it's pretty irrelevant for a nation-sim.

• Upvote 1

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

5 hours ago, Alex said:

If I were to redo it, I would have done soccer/football as it's a more universal sport. However, baseball is far easier to "truly" simulate. Each baseball game that you play is simulated, play by play, from the pitch to the hit to where the hit goes to who catches it, etc.

Of course, no one looks at the detailed simulation of the game and I don't even display it anymore, just the highlights. In the end, it would've made just as much sense to have created a pseudo simulator of soccer that wasn't play by play at all, just roll a couple of dice and give you a "score" and call it good.

At this point, though, I don't really care enough to change it. It's far from an integral part of the game, and if I were to do anything at this point I think I'd just remove "sports" completely, as it's pretty irrelevant for a nation-sim.

Just create leagues with games automatically played everyday instead of manually playing games all the time so it doesn't take so much bandwidth, and boost the earnings to 10x what they are right now.  Soccer's fine as well, and you don't have to completely simulate it.  Just give people formations and tactics with percentage chances of success that vary like playing rock, paper, scissors...

...and yes, it is important in the real world.  It provides cultural exchange which can be simulated through alliances forming leagues together just like trade blocs.  Look up "uefa and european union history" for articles that talk about this.

• Upvote 4

On 11/16/2017 at 1:27 PM, Alex said:

I disagree Alex I think it is important in nation-sim. The World Cup has a huge impact every 4 years. If you tied an "international tournament" into the economy of a nation and depending on how well they do they could get a boost in income. It would encourage players to spend money on their team as well.

• Upvote 2

gg-fu-banner.png

7 hours ago, Viselli said:

I disagree Alex I think it is important in nation-sim. The World Cup has a huge impact every 4 years. If you tied an "international tournament" into the economy of a nation and depending on how well they do they could get a boost in income. It would encourage players to spend money on their team as well.

The historical friendly and competitive matches between South America and Europe were known for encouraging foreign direct investment as well.

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...
On 8/5/2017 at 9:33 PM, Lord Bagel said:

Baseball is played in Korea, Japan, the Philippines, Taiwan

Uh, we don't play baseball anymore. 

<&Partisan> EAT THE SHIT

<blacklabel> lol @ ever caring about how much you matter in some dumbass nation simulation browser game. what a !@#$in pathetic waste of life

iZHAsgV.png

15 hours ago, WISD0MTREE said:

You may not, but this exists. 

We also have this, but you don't see a lot of Filipinos watching the NHL ?

• Upvote 1

<&Partisan> EAT THE SHIT

<blacklabel> lol @ ever caring about how much you matter in some dumbass nation simulation browser game. what a !@#$in pathetic waste of life

iZHAsgV.png