Austrian business cycle theory

Parryx

I am not native english so sorry if my english is bad. Well, as title says, what do you think about the business cycle theory of the austrian school?

This theory says that periods of low interest rate (so the Central Bank and banks are creating more credit) cause the recession periods.

PS: I'm also new to the game and it's great! 

Edited by Parryx

15 minutes ago, ForgotPants said:

Welcome to PnW! And I have no freakin clue what the business cycle theory is!

Thanks! I posted that just in case there is someone that wants to defend the austrian school because I've never known a single one that haven't run away when showing some empyrical proof hahaha

• Upvote 1

The Austrian School, like virtually every other Economic School of thought, is not all in agreement when it comes to every jot and tittle. So what exactly are you implying as to which aspect of the Austrian Economic School you find absurd?

The leading hedge fund in the world effectively operates according to it if you compare its appreciation of the short and long term debt cycles to ABC's understanding of how credit expansions and contractions lead to booms and busts: 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, ComradeMilton said:

K. (I put no faith in YT and don't watch random things. Thanks for effort, though.)

So if a renowned Economist posts a YT video from a university renowned for Economics, you would put "no faith" in it. You are about as sharp as a bowling ball.

Edited by Doc Martini

2 hours ago, Doc Martini said:

So if a renowned Economist posts a YT video from a university renowned for Economics, you would put "no faith" in it. You are about as sharp as a bowling ball.

Not to mention he is the 69th richest person in the world and founded started the world's largest hedge fund from his apartment. 

NODOLsmall.png.a7aa9c0a05fa266425cd7e83d8ccb3dd.png

4 hours ago, ComradeMilton said:

Surely there are reliable sources for his information, then.

A verified account of the largest hedge fund in the world on the world's most visited video sharing site, owned by one of the world's largest tech companies isn't reliable? Or is it because it is in a video format? If it's the latter, why do you not trust any video? So many reputable videos exist that APA, MLA, and Chicago formatting have standards for citing them. 

NODOLsmall.png.a7aa9c0a05fa266425cd7e83d8ccb3dd.png

28 minutes ago, WISD0MTREE said:

A verified account of the largest hedge fund in the world on the world's most visited video sharing site, owned by one of the world's largest tech companies isn't reliable? Not to me, no. If you don't care about my standards for sources that's on you. Or is it because it is in a video format? If it's the latter, why do you not trust any video? So many reputable videos exist that APA, MLA, and Chicago formatting have standards for citing them. 

4 hours ago, Doc Martini said:

https://hyperonomy.com/2016/12/29/graphitization-of-ray-dalios-principles/

Literally a text source of his information. LOL

That certainly sounds like something vital to wealthy interests to protect, yes. Thank you for the better source hosting. It's shit, though.

GICjEwp.gif

2 hours ago, ComradeMilton said:

That certainly sounds like something vital to wealthy interests to protect, yes. Thank you for the better source hosting. It's shit, though.

Meh. subjective opinion is subjective.

11 hours ago, ComradeMilton said:

If Dalio was protecting wealthy interests, he would have kept it secret instead of publishing it. 

Edited by Dubayoo

2 hours ago, ComradeMilton said:

According to whom? We have plenty of excellent economists and financially staffing that's entirely open.

By excellent, are you referring to talent, intent, both, or something else?

• 1 month later...

The Austrian school has never accurately predicted any of the financial problems of the 20th or 21st century, nor have any of their ideas worked in any of the countries where various and successive stupid Conservative governments have tried them.

It's a wonderful myth about how economies work, like how the earth is a flat disc and the firmament rotates around it.

The main issue with economic theories is that the only ones that enjoy government support either posit that the way things are now is the correct course of action and that nothing should change (NeoKeynsian economics) or people who actually believe in absurd shit like the Laffer curve (Austrian school).  Everyone else is excluded to the point that it's like other schools of economics don't even exist.

Edited by Ogaden
tvPWtuA.gif