Chapter Six: Much Needed Changes

Eva-Beatrice

The cities of Seoul, South Korea and Tokyo, Japan - each one known as some of the most populous cities in the world. July 20, 2017. That is the date that these two marvels were annexed into the nation of Walpurgis. Despite the constant activity that is always taking place throughout the two cities, tonight, there was none of that. The streets were empty, as were vehicles and buildings. It’s as if they had been completely abandoned. As if time itself had stopped. In fact, the only activity that could be observed was the presence of Walpurgis’ military guarding the cities’ borders, and the mermaids that had accompanied them swimming freely off their coastlines.

Elsewhere, large groups of South Korean and Japanese people could be seen entering a large room. With each group that had entered, they exited with blood red eyes and a new pair of fangs, seemingly with no memory of their previous lives. As quickly as they came, they were teleported back to where they had come from. Before morning arrived, the streets of Seoul and Tokyo would be returned to their previous activity they were known all too well for. As the sun began to rise, the last group of people had been sent back.

Inside the room, the room filled with vampires, collective sighs could be heard. At the front of the room stood Lord Kaname Kuran, Lady Yuki Kuran, and their personal council. Kaname cleared his throat to gain everyone’s attention. “Thank you all for you tremendous help tonight. Over twenty million people have been given new lives as vampires thanks to your hard work. This will ensure that our expansion into Seoul and Tokyo will be as quick and smooth as possible. Now please, go home and get some rest. You all have earned it.” With that, the countless amount of vampires present began to take their leave and return home, leaving Kaname, Yuki, and the council as the only ones present.

They all sat down, exhaling simultaneously. Ruka was quick to speak. “Lord Kaname, I suggest you and Lady Yuki return to the palace and get some rest. We can handle all further matters from here.” Kaname shook his head. “Please, I believe all of us are deserving of some rest. Besides, we don’t want to look tired for the event later today. We shall all return and rest until then.” None of them needed any further convincing as they slowly stood up and began to make their way back to the palace. It only took about twenty minutes to do so from their current location, bidding each other a good night upon their return.

Hours had passed. As the clock struck noon, everyone could be seen by the entrance to the palace all dressed up. Hanabusa let out a huge yawn, rubbing his eyes. “Jeez…I know we all slept for eight hours, but I feel as if I could’ve slept for an entire day after what we went through last night…” Akatsuki agreed with him. “Yeah. All I remember is closing my eyes, and then boom. It’s as if I had been out for a whole two seconds.” Ruka flicked the back of both their heads. “Oh, shut up, you two. That was more than enough time to sleep. At least suck it up until after the event is concluded, alright?” They both spoke in unison. “Fine…” Looking around, it was clear they were the only ones who were tired.

Kaname turned to face them. “Are we all ready to go?” After seeing nods from each of them, he pushed open the doors to be greeted with the sight of a massive crowd of people filling the plaza and the streets beyond. The cameras were already rolling as their entrance was broadcasted nationwide. It wasn’t just Astana that was filled to the brim with people, but every major city and town in the nation. That’s because today, the government was going to announce several important things that would set the nation on a new path, one different from the rest of the world’s countries. Cheers could be heard spanning throughout the nation’s cities as the King, Queen, and their council made their grand entrance. Even people in the recently acquired cities of Seoul and Tokyo were lining the streets, watching the broadcast on giant screens. Elsewhere, a group of people could be seen looking up at what seemed like a cell phone tower, emitting a neon blue light from the top. It wasn’t just one, but a line of them that seemed to span a half-mile of land. A muscular young man with short, light blue hair looked at them, a smile on his face. He was holding a phone up to his ear. “The new Ragnite towers are working great! They’re carrying the television and phone signals across the entire country just fine, with massive amounts of energy to spare!” Maria Kurenai spoke into an earpiece back in Astana as they were making their way to the stage. “Excellent. Continue to monitor their performance. Lord Kaname will be pleased.”

With that, they had finally made their way onto the stage, the signal being broadcast to screens nationwide with no latency whatsoever. Kaname made his way to the podium. The cheers died down as he started speaking. “Good afternoon, species of Walpurgis. As you are aware, today we will be announcing many important changes that will be made to ensure everyone will experience the best way of life they possibly can within our borders.” The crowds of vampires, Diclonii, witches, demons, fairies, etc. cheered at Kaname’s words. As they died down, he continued to speak. “We will start with our recent territorial gains. As of yesterday, the cities of Seoul, South Korea and Tokyo, Japan are under our control.” The crowds cheered at the news. Those in Seoul and Tokyo could be seen waving tiny Walpurgis flags. “As we continue to expand, people will be appointed to govern newly incorporated territories. Today, I am able to announce the people who will govern the cities of Beijing and Tokyo from today onward. First, I will introduce to you the governess of Beijing, Liu Xiu.”

A tall woman with tied-back jet black hair and red streaks, red eyes, dressed in clearly visible Chinese attire made her way onto the stage beside Kaname. As she smiled, a pair of fangs could be seen, identifying her to the crowd as a vampire. Kaname spoke again. “And now, I would like to introduce you to the governess of Tokyo, Afilia.” A small young girl with long white hair and red eyes made her way onto the stage and stood beside Kaname as well. It was obvious from her appearance that she was also a vampire. As the both of them bowed, the crowds cheered for them, displaying their obvious support. “As more people are appointed to govern selected territories, there will be formal announcements such as this one to inform you all. As you may have noticed, Liu Xiu and Afilia are both vampires. It is our goal to evenly distribute these positions amongst various species, granting none more power than another. Now, let us move onto other things.”

Liu Xiu and Afilia sat down as Kaname continued his speech. “I am sure by now that all of you are familiar with your undeniable rights within Walpurgis’ borders. Today, we will be expanding upon them. This will set us apart from just about every other nation on this planet. To begin, I would just like to reiterate that humans are not legally permitted to enter or stay in Walpurgis. With that out of the way, I will continue. As of today, every citizen within our borders has the right to a safe shelter. No longer shall you be required to pay for a place to live.” Thunderous applause could be heard across the nation. As it finally died down, the speech continued. “And as of today, every citizen within our borders has the right to absolutely free healthcare. A person’s wallet should not be the deciding factor in whether someone receives treatment, or proper medicine.” A similar applause erupted once again. “On top of your already established rights, these are in effect immediately, and will surely be expanded upon as time goes on.”

Moving onto a different topic, Kaname spoke again. “Today, I will also be announcing the creation of a centralized organization that will be responsible for the nation’s most vital operations. This will include production of equipment for the brave members of our military, production of high quality goods for our citizens, services for our citizens, etc. Today, I announce the creation of Cross Industries. Although already millions of workers strong, there are still countless positions open in various fields, and always will be. Getting accepted into the company is easy, and pays well. If anyone wishes to offer their assistance, you are more than welcome to apply. I can also announce that Cross will be launching several major projects in the coming weeks. First of which is secure nationwide Internet. Starting speeds will be at a gigabyte per second up and down, and will be available to everyone for 7,000 Yen a year. Second will be a major construction project that will link all areas of Walpurgis via both expressways and underground/underwater tunnels that will also connect to Seoul and Tokyo. It is unknown when this will be completed, but it should happen sometime before the start of 2018. With that, my speech has concluded. I would like to thank you all for your continued support, and wish everyone a good day.” Everyone on stage stood and bowed as the crowds erupted in cheers once more. As Kaname, Yuki, and the council made their way back to the palace, the screen transitioned to the flag of Walpurgis to mark the end of the broadcast.

They soon entered the palace. Yuki was the first to speak. “Great speech, Kaname! That was awesome!” Kaname gave her a warm smile. “Thank you, Yuki. I’m glad to see how happy it made our citizens as well.” Akatsuki then spoke up. “Well if you don’t mind, I think I can speak for Hanabusa as well when I say that I’m gonna go get some more sleep.” Hanabusa nodded. “Yep. See you guys at dinner.” “Okay, see you guys.” Yuki replied. As they both started making their way back to their rooms, Maria spoke up. “Lord Kaname, after speaking with Tatsumi once more, I would like to report that the Ragnite towers performed their duty exceptionally well. The go-ahead has been given for Cross to construct more in various locations throughout the nation, as well as along our borders. They believe Ragnite’s effects will successfully defend all signals against outside attacks as well, including EMP attacks.” “That is wonderful news. Thank you for telling me, Maria. Also, tell Cross to continue their mining of it. We should be thankful such a useful resource was discovered within our borders.” Maria smiled and nodded. “Yes, Lord Kaname!” As Maria took her leave, Kaname looked up at a giant map of the country mounted on the wall, staring intently at the mountains of Kyrgyzstan.

5DPjsnd.png

• Upvote 2

1288901501_RokkenjimaSignature.png.0d904885417dedabec1671424bcdd01b.png

When the seagulls cried, none were left alive.

"If life is a miracle, then death is a certainty."