Many Moons Ago...

Dubayoo

...people used to play a great game.  It had units, infrastructure, alliances, buildings, land, resources, spies, a market...

...but that game was not this game. 

This game was also not Cybernations.

This game came out in the late 90s and was finally shut down in the late 2000s for no reason other than because the developer moved onto other things.  A fan following recreated it with the same mechanics, but the community was never really restored to it's prior glory even though it still has a diversity of simultaneous play modes such as alliance, team, and freeforall.  Still, the fan following website had a much higher estimated traffic price until very recently compared to PnW because of many players mutually agreeing that the game was fun in the past, but it was time to move on to other things instead of remaining stuck in a bygone era...

...and more importantly, it has 2 month server resets (except for the express server which has 5 day server resets) as well as a hall of fame that remembers who the highest scoring players are.  The end of any game season involved players liquidating assets to accumulate networth while attacking other players to reduce their networth once they were exposed from liquidation.

On top of those mechanics listed before, it also has technology, effective government types, different attack tactics, different missile types, a turn system that lets people choose when to be productive so they don't lose their productivity from being attacked while offline (but also has a turn cap which compels people to log on everyday to use their turns), the ability to explore rather than purchase land, and a voting system that promotes the game on indexes in exchange for choosing bonuses to use.  The market also radically swayed between every season as different players prioritized different strategies such that market prices didn't get stuck at approximately the same levels forever.

I won't say what this game is (although I suppose some of you could figure it out by researching the details I've listed), but I bring it up because I genuinely believe PnW is a game that has devolved instead evolved from the past.  The undeniable and indisputable fact is the MMORTS genre has had better products in the past, and PnW is a step down from those products.  I don't really count this as being a nationsim in contrast because the fact is your political alignment has zero impact on how your nation performs.  There are also no geographic constraints on what other countries you're allowed to interact with.  A country in Europe can attack a country in Australia at the snap of a finger.

The only real reasons to play PnW despite this are you didn't know about the other game, you played it before and wanted to try something else, or you actually wanted an inferior product because you prefer simplicity over complexity.

This is a game that has a lot of potential to become something greater, but is holding back.  The bar was raised much higher before.  The only question is why doesn't PnW raise it higher?

3 hours ago, Dubayoo said:

I'll give you a hint:

GIANT PICTURE CRAP

You're talking to someone who only played Nation States before this (and not alot mind you)

Can you just say the game you walking tease?

d0r0WcS.gif

7 hours ago, Frank Todd said:

You're talking to someone who only played Nation States before this (and not alot mind you)

Can you just say the game you walking tease?

If I wanted to get into trouble for advertising, I could have, but I didn't want to.

Regardless, the question in the OP stands.

5 hours ago, Zaxon said:

Earth Empires http://www.earthempires.com/ 

Mystery over

5 minutes ago, Dubayoo said:

If I wanted to get into trouble for advertising, I could have, but I didn't want to.

Regardless, the question in the OP stands.

huh, odd how he was able to put that on there.

d0r0WcS.gif