Orbis hit by Economic Disaster! Pollution Skyrockets! Plague Kills Millions!

Darknight

1 hour ago, Vack said:

Where's the real Sheepy and what have you done with him @Alex. This change is uncharacteristically good and I don't like it. Please implement a feature that makes nuclear power plants randomly suffer meltdowns which destroy cities to balance this positive change please.

I support this request, please implement quickly. thx

• Upvote 1

Verin-ProjectDev2.png

5 hours ago, Quichwe10 said:

I guess Sheepy's heard our complaints and has decided to do something about it. Be careful what you wish for I guess.

"This is obviously a hot issue recently, I've got an easy fix. Remember, more complex fix = more work = less chance I actually do it." -Alex 2017

remember, when expecting sheepy to fix a problem it's like hiring the lowest bid contractor. You'll get whatever passes for an update and ensures at little foresite as possible. 

scSqPGJ.gif

News Update:

In the latest news update, nations across Orbis have managed to devise a strategy to rebound and save most of their Commerce markets while figuring out how to bring them back to 100% efficiency. Many Governments have also announced further attempts to reduce the sudden pollution spike in order to decrease the number of civilian deaths caused by the now named "The Orbis Winter Plague." Market activity has also returned and international trade has begun to flow again. However, several problems are now being seen by countless nations:

1) Prices have inflated. Rumors indicate food has about doubled in PPU prices and many raw material goods are priced near 1000 PPU or higher. Some going past the 1500 PPU line for buying prices.

2) World GDP has fallen. With a global financial collapse of Commerce and Raw Materials, which has weakened the Manufacturing sectors, overall world GDP has taken a dire blow as almost every single Government reports a significant drop in Gross Income without a decrease in expenses. This has led to many Government projects, such as new cities, to be set back. When will your Iron Dome be made now?

3) Warfare is More expensive. With the costs to sustain a war-like industry now even tougher, warfare has become even more expensive. As costs on the market have risen overall due to inflation, the costs to replace lost combat units or even feed soldiers has gone up. For nations importing strategic resources rather than making them, it's more expensive to replace units. For those that make their own strategic goods by importing Raw Material, it's become more expensive to make those goods.

4) Food Production Has Dropped. Due to soil quality dropping around the world thanks to Global Warming, literally every farm in Orbis is reporting reduced crop yields. This is what led to Food Prices doubling so far. The fact that food production from the farms is, by current belief, permanently reduced will no doubt force food prices to remain on the rise until a solution is found. Winter has also made an untimely arrival along with the continued use of nuclear weapons, further crippling the unstable food market and threatening to cause famine.

Currently these are pressing issues for many nations of Orbis and their alliances. Whether these problems will be quickly eliminated or see the total destruction of many nations remains to be seen as alliances tighten their belts and push back their long-awaited war plans to survive Orbis' harshest winter yet. We will try to bring you more information if possible.

Edited by Darknight
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Partisan said:

I'm actually interested in seeing where this one goes. You have me intrigued, sheepy.

Eh... the only people it really benefits are whales who have the infrastructure to afford the new building caps.  Others who can afford the new caps will have to downsize their standing militaries which means demand for materials is going to go down.

Most players aren't whales, so it's just going to slow the game down even further and discourage new players from joining even more.  

5 hours ago, Darknight said:

1) Prices have inflated. Rumors indicate food has about doubled in PPU prices and many raw material goods are priced near 1000 PPU or higher. Some going past the 1500 PPU line for buying prices.

I'm not convinced prices will remain inflated. The immediate impact is the cut of raw material production rates in half which is greater than commerce being cut by a quarter, but people will eventually increase their raw material production and commerce accordingly from the building caps increasing.  Manufactured goods maintain constant production, and you can build more manufacturing buildings.

The bottomline is steel, aluminum, gasoline, and munitions will remain intact if not expand.  On the other hand, the increased building caps (and the need for more hospitals) will demand less space be allocated to military units which means demand for resources decreases.  Therefore, prices won't stay up.  

All and all, my prediction is we're just going to see more consolidation of players using airplanes to defend themselves.  Factories and dockyards will be demolished first to make way for new economic buildings. If anything, this will see the demand for steel plummet.

6 hours ago, Dubayoo said:

Eh... the only people it really benefits are whales who have the infrastructure to afford the new building caps.  Others who can afford the new caps will have to downsize their standing militaries which means demand for materials is going to go down.

Most players aren't whales, so it's just going to slow the game down even further and discourage new players from joining even more.  

*whale noises*

• Upvote 1

os9LcJK.gif

Everyone is saying whales benefit from this. Not many people mention that with the pollution changes, it makes it real hard to keep resource and manufacturing improvements at high levels. Sure, they have more slots for the building caps, but when 1/4 of your population is killed by pollution, your bottom line suffers a lot. There was no Increase on the cap for recycling centers and hospitals right? I don't know and I'm too lazy to check. This update threw a wrench into every nation no matter how big they are. The fun part is figuring out how to balance everything. 

• Upvote 2

On 7/10/2017 at 1:39 PM, HoffaKnows said:

Everyone is saying whales benefit from this. Not many people mention that with the pollution changes, it makes it real hard to keep resource and manufacturing improvements at high levels. Sure, they have more slots for the building caps, but when 1/4 of your population is killed by pollution, your bottom line suffers a lot. There was no Increase on the cap for recycling centers and hospitals right? I don't know and I'm too lazy to check. This update threw a wrench into every nation no matter how big they are. The fun part is figuring out how to balance everything. 

3 Recycling Centers (instead of one) and 5 Hospitals now. 3 Recycling Centers + Subway + Hospital is enough to get 100% commerce (or 115%, doesn't matter since banks and supermarkets don't increase pollution) and 5 Aluminum Refineries, along with 1 Munition Factory with 5 points of pollution. You can start relying on hospitals and extra land to fill up another manufacturing improvement or go straight for resource improvements (bauxite). 

Though apparently food sells really well when you have the project and a lot of land, so I guess you could follow Vack's example and just spam 20 farms per city. :ph34r:

Z98SzIG.png

15 hours ago, Anneal said:

3 Recycling Centers (instead of one) and 5 Hospitals now. 3 Recycling Centers + Subway + Hospital is enough to get 100% commerce (or 115%, doesn't matter since banks and supermarkets don't increase pollution) and 5 Aluminum Refineries, along with 1 Munition Factory with 5 points of pollution. You can start relying on hospitals and extra land to fill up another manufacturing improvement or go straight for resource improvements (bauxite). 

Though apparently food sells really well when you have the project and a lot of land, so I guess you could follow Vack's example and just spam 20 farms per city. :ph34r:

I Was saying that whales were hit by the changes too. Previously a build could have all 12 manufacturing slots filled and be all good in respect to pollution/disease. With double pollution this can't be done anymore with out sacrificing cash revenue due to disease murdering a large chunk of population. I'm not complaining. Just saying the update affected everyone. Not just the little guys.