From Uncle's Lap #2: Ms. Stone

Spaceman Thrax

2a8jl2c.jpg

Uncle's spirit came within me, once again. He has lauded my efforts in bringing the untold gospel to you, and is pleased at the anonymity preserved. Emboldened by his own wisdom, he has asked that I care out more of His work. And it will be SO anonymous.

I would like to thank Ms. Stone for speaking with me. We totally hadn't interacted before, so it was a pleasure to speak with her.

25at9cj.jpg.cbad043545aa7300e646ad4b64b9524d.jpg

MS. STONE: TRUE IDENTITY COMPLETELY REDACTED

Why did replying to this idea appeal to you?

I love the chance to answer to random questions and make you smile. I think I can do both in a way that not only makes you think, but makes you want to know more.

How would you describe your in-game political outlook? (Editor's note: I rewrote the question after I got this answer, as it ended up being more about out of game political outlook)

As you want this to be open ended, I will give you an open ended response. I believe in public and private institutions working together for the benefit of everybody. It's hard to accept the fact that governments don't work for people. But history has told us that there is a sweet period of government when it works very well. Nobody pays attention to the sweet period until it is too late. It's always in retrospect. I'll give an example. Older people today (late 60s-80s) all complain that the generation behind them screwed up the world. I suppose every generation wants to blame others for their failings. It repeats over time. But when the population fights itself on these issues, it won't get fixed. So the solution to to tighten up the population. Bridge the gap. Age wise and power wise. Now granted, experience does matter and they should lead major institutions. Yet bringing in fresh ideas will only help the cause and progress it. Yet there's always a chance that we take a step back on purpose, maybe for political, racial, economic, ect. Overcoming this is harder than just sitting around and complaining about the world. Yet most want to do this. I feel this is due to a lack of knowledge but an abundance of information. This is the flaw of the current western societies. Everybody has a thought about North Korea, or the fighting in Mosul. Give those people a map and ask them to point out those areas, most can't find it, nor care to know about the history or location or culture or situation that is happening. Feds raise the interest rates .25% and every person in the bar has a thought. But do they really know what .25% does to them over time? No. They don't care. So scale it up and talk about housing or social security, or defense spending. They hear sound bites and are willing to take a side without even caring about the issue unless it directly impacts them. Come on. Most the time they didnt know it impacted them until they voted against it. So you ask me for my political outlook, I honestly still don't know. I believe in the system, even if it looks like it is broken right now. It's a flowing history. Ups and downs. Rights and lefts. It's up to the people to change it for the better, or worse depending on what they really want.

What is an ideal state for this game to be in, in your opinion?

A state of peace. Wars in this games are driven by alliance leaders. Screw that. A handful of people should never control this game. Alliances is what killed the game. It took 3 years to do it....but the death sentence was on day 1.

How would you describe the general state of the game right now (mechanically and/or politically)?

Pure crap for 99% of the game. It only works for the weirdos who do the exact opposite of what the game is meant to be. The way it is set up is to hang out on discord and just get together. There's no real growth. No real reason to fight. The politics are pure crap because of this.

Go through as much of the main alliance list as you please and give your opinions on each AA. If you can, try to provide at least one positive and at least one negative for each.

Pass. I dont care about alliances

Make a bunch of short inflammatory and/or divisive political statements about alliances or events in the game that you can actually back up/make a case for. We'll follow up on these in the interview.

Pass. I dont like this question

Is there an alliance or player that you think deserves more respect/recognition, that you may be unable to express from your current political position? Explain.

I respect your alliance or any alliance that steps out of the treaty web. It takes a lot to stand out and Space does that for better or worse...and the nuke bloc does as well. As soon as the nuke bloc ditches TKR ODP.....hopefully soon, that will set up a bigger match up later on.  Also Ape deserves more credit for what he has done in the past 5 months. He went from number like 450 to number 1 and is running away every day that passes. Plus he is loyal and super smart, meaning that he can plan ahead and has actual goals.

Who are you favorite and least favorite players? Why? What makes a good or bad player?

A good player is very subjective. The best fighter? The people who can stay out of wars? The people who do things to get a rise out of others? The people who think outside of the game and try to find the loopholes?  Who knows? Least favorite?  Come on.....that could be 99% of the game. I honestly dont know what people are doing........

If you could change one thing about the game, what would it be?

I would get rid of formal alliances. This would make the politics aspect more important. Back door dealings could be made. Also..Thunder Dome Weekends. That would help keep wars going and the market strong if people could bet on two nations fighting for a 48 hour no limit war.

Followup/Interview Section:

Ms. Stone:

I am the only one that willingly tells people what I am and am going to do.

I wrote a forum post telling the world I was going to nuke 5 [editor's note: change this to three or something so it's less obvious this is Fraggle] random people and they still sat on their hands

Spaceman Thrax:

"Pure crap for 99% of the game. It only works for the weirdos who do the exact opposite of what the game is meant to be. The way it is set up is to hang out on discord and just get together. There's no real growth. No real reason to fight. The politics are pure crap because of this."

I don't exactly take your meaning here. You say the way it is set up is for people to just hang out. Is this bad?

Ms. Stone:

Yes

Because people want war, no?

I guess this is just a social gathering now with people building cities and armies that wont be used

Spaceman Thrax:

How does that reconcile with your earlier answer then, about peace being the ideal state?

Ms. Stone:

peace is my ideal state

That only benefits the weirdos

Spaceman Thrax:

Getting rid of formal alliances would make allying and doing economic programs harder, but not impossible. Do you not think people will just work around this and/or get frustrated and leave the game entirely

Ms. Stone:

Not at all.

It would be more of lord of the flies

You come into the game knowing nothing but there might be a street gang next to you ready to take advantage.   This forces you to either give in or try to find others via talking to people

Spaceman Thrax:

That seems like a pretty dismal outlook for new players

I mean fighting capacity is all resource-based. Where would they get anything to start with?

Ms. Stone:

dismal?  Seems more Darwin than anything else

The strong will survive

Spaceman Thrax:

The old and established will survive

Smart + has resources will beat Smart + doesn't

Ms. Stone:

I dont think you are giving credit to people

Spaceman Thrax:

That's a big hurdle for a newer player when there's less centralized alliances to fund/protect them

You don't? If anything I'm giving credit to the established players

Ms. Stone:

Players would build like they still do

I believe this to cause more war between players

Wont be war wide wars....but more 5 on 3s or 10 on 4s

Spaceman Thrax:

It likely would, yes. But with the mechanics as they are right now, I think a relatively rich player with just a couple buddies could lose all his infra, then just absolutely trash newer players with their city advantage

Ms. Stone:

Could

But thats an exception

In my own scenario I would be on the outside

People would never allow me to grow via nuke stacking

teams of people would group against me.....they dont now because of "alliances"

Spaceman Thrax:

Removing the formal idea of an alliance doesn't necessarily change that

Do you think it will for sure, or is it a "couldn't hurt" kind of thing for you?

Ms. Stone:

No I say grouping into alliances and banding alliances together into a web makes it stale over time

Spaceman Thrax:

So is the benefit of removing alliances something that will always work, or is it more of a "pull out the rug and disrupt the order" move that will also probably get stale over time?

Ms. Stone:

Well yes. I agree that Sheepy should be more active in throwing wrenches into the system

Spaceman Thrax:

Gotcha.

Ms. Stone:

So market changes....alliance shake ups

world events

ect

Spaceman Thrax:

So is it about the idea of getting rid of alliances, or just the idea of an admin that actively tries to destabilize the mechanics?

Ms. Stone:

The latter

Utmost thanks to Ms. Stone, who is anonymous and wonderful. For those of you who have expressed interest, thanks so much for your patience! I'll be in touch tomorrow.

Edited by Spaceman Thrax
  • Upvote 6

Slaughter the shits of the world. They poison the air you breathe.

~ William S. Burroughs

Banning formal alliances will only lead to informal alliances that consist of exactly the same people and operate in exactly the same way. I don't think it would change the game at all other than to make it harder on people who run those alliances to coordinate everything.