Question about privacy

Fuckface Larry

As mentioned in this post: https://politicsandwar.com/forums/index.php?/topic/20252-announcement-from-farkistan/?p=331094

I would like to enquire as to how or why people would be able to see my e-mail-address, that I use for my account. I'm sure other parts of the community would be interested in this answer as well. Thanks a lot.

hWFChl5.jpg      All die anderen wollen mich vor Ihr bewahren und alles, was sie sagen, ist wahr.

If you're any good on the internet, you can find most basic public information, including email addresses. If you've signed up on a forum, people can see the email. If you've said your name and basic info online, people can find more information about you, INCLUDING email addresses, using some reverse social search engines etc. I don't endorse publicising this info, and if they have done so without your permission, I'm sure that's wrong for them, and possibly against the rules. You don't need a bunch of info to doxx people, and even if all you have is an email, that leads to much more personal info that people can find. Its a slippery slope for people to post personal info, even as simple as an email address.

So yeah, people who have the right access and knowledge can view your email address etc. But I would consider this against the rules for posting personal info online without your permission [if this did happen]

LTcxGHN.jpg

Thanks, I know you can do a lot of things, I'm enquiring as to how easy it is. 

Its pretty easy if you know what you are doing and where to look, and especially if you already know some information about the person they're looking for. 

LTcxGHN.jpg

If you've signed up on a forum, people can see the email.

But I would consider this against the rules for posting personal info online without your permission [if this did happen]

There's a setting which (by default, I think) sets your email to private on this forum. Unless you are talking about external forums, in which case, you're right. Hell, I even had access to IP addresses when I ran a forum in Bloc. 

It is. 

https://politicsandwar.com/forums/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

"OoC Threats and Personal Information

Revealing another player’s personal information or making threats against them is grounds for an immediate ban."

NODOLsmall.png.a7aa9c0a05fa266425cd7e83d8ccb3dd.png

There's a setting which (by default, I think) sets your email to private on this forum. Unless you are talking about external forums, in which case, you're right. Hell, I even had access to IP addresses when I ran a forum in Bloc. 

It is. 

https://politicsandwar.com/forums/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

"OoC Threats and Personal Information

Revealing another player’s personal information or making threats against them is grounds for an immediate ban."

Yeah. I was referring to external forums. And yeah, you can see IP's on some, which can be blocked by using a VPN.

LTcxGHN.jpg

It's not easy or straightforward. But it does slip often. Not sure but sometimes moderators can see it too. I use some proxy emails for games like these because I'm used to getting doxxed. It's a very prevalent risk with games like this.

It's not easy or straightforward. But it does slip often. Not sure but sometimes moderators can see it too. I use some proxy emails for games like these because I'm used to getting doxxed. It's a very prevalent risk with games like this.

The best advice is to have at least two emails. One for professional work/life stuff, and another [multiple if wanted] to use for signing up to stuff and spam related services. Only use the second email for signing up to ANYTHING that isn't needed [i.e work and professional life stuff]

LTcxGHN.jpg

• Administrators

I and the forum moderators can see your e-mail address that you use on these forums. In-game, I am the only one who has access to your e-mail address.

I don't do anything with your e-mail addresses, I don't store them, sell them, etc. I am confident the mods are not revealing anyone's e-mail addresses either.

My best guess is that if someone has discovered your e-mail address, it was either because you (inadvertently or intentionally) revealed it to them in a post or message, or you signed up on an external website (perhaps an alliance's forum) where whoever runs that website would have access to your e-mail address.

Basically, the tl;dr is that your private information like your e-mail address and IP address are safe on this site (in-game and the forums) and I cannot control who accesses information that you give away on any other sites, related or not.

• Upvote 1

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

Thank you for that answer. I thought it was a made up claim since im not currently using my full name email address on here. Still good advice on using different mail for games.

Basically don't put out anything that might reveal personal info without your consent on public, or even private places, unless you are CERTAIN that they wont be shared without consent. And if they do, try and do your best to remove the info in whatever fashion is possible.

LTcxGHN.jpg