Resources: A dying game dynamic.

James II

I'd agree that there should be something to combat inflation of money and resources (I also miss how the game was played 2 years ago). I'd suggest that either 1. we increase resource + money costs and reduce the output from currency + resource generators, or 2. make the war system much more destructive, by allowing attacks to destroy resource depots or whatnot. My second suggestion might be flawed, but it's just a thought.

Edited by Wulfharth
  • Upvote 1

1697243171_giphy(1).gif.e28014bf4d56866691a4003047141ff3.gif

FKA Wulfharth

-snip-

I agree, some resources being finite would be a much better long term solution.

• Upvote 1

Humans cannot create anything out of nothingness. Humans cannot accomplish anything without holding onto something. After all, humans are not gods.

I like the idea of adding new resources into the mix, that are limited in supply and maybe even posing high recycling costs?

I am also all for the idea of upping prices to make it hard for there to be a limitless supply of resources and dosh. (Except, I could never get behind a plan to limit beer)

php882dgiAM.jpg.9136a0a695ba680a032e6cfd5880ece4.jpg

Could add new resources that opens up a new tier of military units.

"advance 21st century units"

Soldiers need Light weight "Plastics"

Tanks "Ceramic" composite armour.

Ships & Aircraft "advanced electronics"

on top of their usual rss requirements, but more of each.

The problem there is how do you prevent the same thing happening.

Edited by Callum

HoloSig2017.png.afe1505c82cc3db09be025a9

Or just finally include stockpile limits :v

• Upvote 1

Orbis Wars   |   CSI: UPN   |   B I G O O F   |   PW Expert Has Nerve To Tell You How To Run Your Own Goddamn Alliance | Occupy Wall Street | Sheepy Sings

TheNG - My favorite part is when Steve suggests DEIC might have done something remotely successful, then gets massively shit on for proposing such a stupid idea.

On 1/4/2016 at 6:37 PM, Sheepy said:
Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win

I'll only agree to this if a buy out in included. To take away months if not years of storing food around the world would piss off many people.

The trouble with adding new units, changing prices, or changing production rates is that it doesn't prevent the problem, it just puts it off for another day. (See: The constantly rising redemption value of credits.)

If you want scarcity and competition, you need to do something like cap the number of resources produced globally per turn. Resources are distributed based on who has the most of whatever improvement. You get a share of the production, rather than a flat income.

• Upvote 3
RollSheepy.png

We need more resource sinks, currently the only thing resources are mainly used for are war.

I would like to see projects tinkered more to become larger resource sinks tbh. I did post about what I would like to see happen with projects here: https://politicsandwar.com/forums/index.php?/topic/18958-please-add-new-projects/?p=314823

• Upvote 4

[11:52 PM] Prefontaine: But Keegoz is actually bad. [11:52 PM] Prefontaine: He's my favorite bad leader though.

I'm not too worried. What will happen is that wars will last 2 months instead of 2 weeks like in the past.

The trouble with adding new units, changing prices, or changing production rates is that it doesn't prevent the problem, it just puts it off for another day. (See: The constantly rising redemption value of credits.)

It puts it off for another year at least. Then just tack something on top of that. Adding new things will keep the game fresh.

I'm not too worried. What will happen is that wars will last 2 months instead of 2 weeks like in the past.

It puts it off for another year at least. Then just tack something on top of that. Adding new things will keep the game fresh.

Not really, I think you'll find infra will run out before resources. I guess that is however another option, nerf infra damage done whilst maintaining current costs of resources.

[11:52 PM] Prefontaine: But Keegoz is actually bad. [11:52 PM] Prefontaine: He's my favorite bad leader though.

Why not create super resources?

Where you have to merge certain resources together to make them?

5 uranium and 5 lead make 1 gold?

(inb4 you transmuting lead into gold kek)

New resources you can only produce in a continent, N.America only gold, Africa only diamonds, Europe only plastic, etc.

One continent cannot produce these special resources, every 3 months the continent that cannot produce resources changes

If you alliance is for example in Asia, and Asia has copper, for 3 months you can put a copper mine in every city, after 3 months the resource you can produce changes or the continent is the one without resources

Ok now my idea can work only if we can create a system were you can beat in a war another alliance and send them to the continent without resources, this is the hard part  :D

• Upvote 1

I'll only agree to this if a buy out in included. To take away months if not years of storing food around the world would piss off many people.

The simplest way to implement this would be make a soft stockpile limit. Give every nation a base stockpile limit that increases linearly with city count and that can be increased further by a new type of improvement, a warehouse, that adds x units to the stockpile cap per warehouse.

Several other suggestions in response to no one in particular:

• Make infrastructure cost steel in addition to money to build. The per-unit steel cost would increase with infra level just like the per-unit money cost already does.
  • Add resources that are primarily or exclusively used for non-military purposes. These could be things like concrete or asphalt that are needed to build cities and infrastructure. They could be consumer resources like electronics or plastics that nations automatically consume on a per-turn basis. Inadequate supplies of consumer resources would reduce income in the same way that low stockpiles of food and coal/oil/uranium do. The other benefit to adding new resources without adding extra improvement slots to the game is that it would force nations to specialize their resource production, making all types of resources scarcer, and would make it more difficult to have maximum military improvements, giving a greater advantage to players who choose to maintain more military improvements.
  • Reduce the number of improvements available to nations. This could be done directly by increasing the amount of infrastructure required to support each improvement or indirectly by introducing new types of improvements. The warehouse improvement I mentioned above is one possibility for a new improvement. Since we're talking about resources, another potential new improvement is a harbor: place a cap on the amount or resources that can enter and leave a nation each day via trade and bank transactions and allow nations to increase this cap by building harbors. As I explained above, fewer improvements producing each resource type would reduce the supply of all resources.

I think fixing the looting mechanics would help a bit here. Fortify spam preventing looting means less wars, means less resources spent on wars. :P

Really what you're looking for is a resource sink that won't break the current mechanics, but also won't punish players who have large stockpiles now (since that would be pretty discouraging). How abouuuuuuttttt....

Making troops upgradable, say, up to 120% effectiveness, for some incredibly large resource investment (could make it take time as well, so that the impact to the market is gradual)?

Letting nations buy more troops per day, say, up to another 50%, but they cost way more resources?

Just flatly increasing the resource cost of troops?

Making bought troops have a resource cost as well as/instead of the $ upkeep?

• Upvote 2

Slaughter the shits of the world. They poison the air you breathe.

~ William S. Burroughs

There was a hard limit on resources that a nation could hold, we had Sheepy increase it because the game didn't deal with you hitting the limit at all.

Seriously, sitting at 999,999 food and you buy 10,000 food. Which then goes nowhere, as you're at the limit and the other nation still gets your money. That is how badly resource limits are implemented currently.

sig_cybernations.PNG.8d49a01423f488a0f1b846927f5acc7e.PNG

There was a hard limit on resources that a nation could hold, we had Sheepy increase it because the game didn't deal with you hitting the limit at all.

Seriously, sitting at 999,999 food and you buy 10,000 food. Which then goes nowhere, as you're at the limit and the other nation still gets your money. That is how badly resource limits are implemented currently.

No, an actual proper limit based on city counts. Sheepy actually considered adding it a while ago but nothing ever came of it.

• Upvote 1

Orbis Wars   |   CSI: UPN   |   B I G O O F   |   PW Expert Has Nerve To Tell You How To Run Your Own Goddamn Alliance | Occupy Wall Street | Sheepy Sings

TheNG - My favorite part is when Steve suggests DEIC might have done something remotely successful, then gets massively shit on for proposing such a stupid idea.

On 1/4/2016 at 6:37 PM, Sheepy said:
Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win

No, an actual proper limit based on city counts. Sheepy actually considered adding it a while ago but nothing ever came of it.

Then be more specific about what you're talking about. Making generalistic comments is how you get misunderstood ;)

sig_cybernations.PNG.8d49a01423f488a0f1b846927f5acc7e.PNG

Re-establish the caps on resources you can would on a nation! And if you don't want to "hurt" the resources hoarders, give them a month, to sell out until implement it, as sure will not be lack of buyers when this war ends,and will allow fights rebound faster, and maybe you will have sooner the next war you so must want. Or the hoarders can just keep them on they AA banks(and risk of been looted,but yeah you cannot sometime just win it all). Simple! :)

This is a symphtom of the lack of war on the planet on a regular basis, prior to this war there hadn't been a significant conflict in over 4 months.

Underrated post. Clean up the treaty web and there will be more wars, thus more resources lost. Stop blaming Russian hackers Sheepy for stuff. 

NODOLsmall.png.a7aa9c0a05fa266425cd7e83d8ccb3dd.png