Opinion Poll: S.J. Res. 34 (ISPs selling browser history)

Hopeless

26 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want your Internet Service Provider selling your browsing history?

• Yup, I'm not doing anything wrong and nothing I'm looking up will be used to harm/blackmail me in the future!
    • No, I Google some weird ass shit/I'm worried about where this will lead

Video regarding the topic (from your favorite memer): Sold to the Highest Bidder

Text of the joint resolution:

Providing for congressional disapproval under chapter 8 of title 5, United States Code, of the rule submitted by the Federal Communications Commission relating to “Protecting the Privacy of Customers of Broadband and Other Telecommunications Servicesâ€.

Resolved by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled, That Congress disapproves the rule submitted by the Federal Communications Commission relating to “Protecting the Privacy of Customers of Broadband and Other Telecommunications Services†(81 Fed. Reg. 87274 (December 2, 2016)), and such rule shall have no force or effect.

Summary of 81 Fed. Reg. 87274:
In this document, the Federal Communications Commission (Commission) adopts final rules based on public comments applying the privacy requirements of the Communications Act of 1934, as amended, to broadband Internet access service (BIAS) and other telecommunications services. In adopting these rules the Commission implements the statutory requirement that telecommunications carriers protect the confidentiality of customer proprietary information. The privacy framework in these rules focuses on transparency, choice, and data security, and provides heightened protection for sensitive customer information, consistent with customer expectations. The rules require carriers to provide privacy notices that clearly and accurately inform customers; obtain opt-in or opt-out customer approval to use and share sensitive or non-sensitive customer proprietary information, respectively; take reasonable measures to secure customer proprietary information; provide notification to customers, the Commission, and law enforcement in the event of data breaches that could result in harm; not condition provision of service on the surrender of privacy rights; and provide heightened notice and obtain affirmative consent when offering financial incentives in exchange for the right to use a customer's confidential information. The Commission also revises its current telecommunications privacy rules to harmonize today's privacy rules for all telecommunications carriers, and provides a tailored exemption from these rules for enterprise customers of telecommunications services other than BIAS.

Tiber-braindead.png

I'd probably be on some kind of new private sector watchlist for searching for guns and stuff. I can't decide if I want a 1911, a brush gun, or a custom AR with wood furniture next. 

NODOLsmall.png.a7aa9c0a05fa266425cd7e83d8ccb3dd.png

I'd probably be on some kind of new private sector watchlist for searching for guns and stuff. I can't decide if I want a 1911, a brush gun, or a custom AR with wood furniture next.

Your guns come with furniture? What country do you live in?

"Realism is irrelevant unless it's the real world" - Lail Das

Your guns come with furniture? What country do you live in?

What country can you get guns without bending over for the gov? 

Can't tell if this gun is ugly or cool. *shrugs*

outdoorhub-pictures-of-great-looking-woo

Edited by WISD0MTREE
  • Upvote 1

Your ISP isn't the one to worry about (Use Google, Facebook or Microsoft Services by any chance?) You know those cookie warnings on websites - if you OK them without checking what they're used for your history on that website will likely be given over to an advertising or analytics company like Google and sold on.

Protect yourself with a VPN if you really want to and block third party cookies if you're paranoid (there's now a free unlimited one built into Opera at fairly high speed) - if you're going towards the mad end of privacy use DuckDuckGo to search (I use DDG because gets better results anyway).Plus it isn't like the NSA and GCHQ won't have a data breech of the petabytes of stuff they've collected on you at some point or another.

With the amount of data Google collect on users, they probably know the contents of Hillary's e-mails, the Brexit plan (which does not exist), Trump's taxes (or lack of them) and whatever strange websites you visit in your spare time.

Edited by Matt2004

Untitled.png.a5280e76db3e7bedecea0a5e4d7b7daf.png

Protect yourself with a VPN if you really want to and block third party cookies if you're paranoid (there's now a free unlimited one built into Opera at fairly high speed) - if you're going towards the mad end of privacy use DuckDuckGo to search (I use DDG because gets better results anyway).Plus it isn't like the NSA and GCHQ won't have a data breech of the petabytes of stuff they've collected on you at some point or another.

Don't forget to us Privacy Badger to block some tracking ads from collecting data.  ;)

Don't forget to us Privacy Badger to block some tracking ads from collecting data. ;)

You've got to be careful with addons like that, some of them intercept SSL/TLS communications which make you less safe (IE Privdog) - best solution is to run Opera's built in adblock or use a global opt-out of behaviour advertising form the industry portal (this works with cookies)

EU EDAA Opt-out (ALL EU Advertisers)

US Opt-out (less effective than EU)

Canada opt-out (roughly same as EU opt-out)

Windows 10 opt-out

Manual opt-out if master fails:

Google Opt-Out

Facebook opt-out

Microsoft online opt-out

Edited by Matt2004

Untitled.png.a5280e76db3e7bedecea0a5e4d7b7daf.png

What country can you get guns without bending over for the gov? 

'Murica. 

It's a useful mental exercise. Through the years, many thinkers have been fascinated by it. But I don't enjoy playing. It was a game that was born during a brutal age when life counted for little. Everyone believed that some people were worth more than others. Kings. Pawns. I don't think that anyone is worth more than anyone else. Chess is just a game. Real people are not pieces. You can't assign more value to some of them and not others. Not to me. Not to anyone. People are not a thing that you can sacrifice. The lesson is, if anyone who looks on to the world as if it was a game of chess, deserves to lose.

What country can you get guns without bending over for the gov? The United States (now excluding Maine) requires I think ten pen marks and then a 30 second telephone call. It's absolutely crushing the Second Amendment's requirements that I be able to purchase a gun with only five marks on the form and, at most, a 20 second telephone call.

GICjEwp.gif

The United States (now excluding Maine) requires I think ten pen marks and then a 30 second telephone call. It's absolutely crushing the Second Amendment's requirements that I be able to purchase a gun with only five marks on the form and, at most, a 20 second telephone call.

Wow, you were almost right. Just a few more than 10, though. And the FFL dealer's employees have to make the call for you. 

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/4473-part-1-firearms-transaction-record-over-counter-atf-form-53009/download

Wow, you were almost right. Just a few more than 10, though. Sorry, it's been like eight years since I purchased my guns and then returned them to the dealer for a refund. And the FFL dealer's employees have to make the call for you; Maine closed the gunshow loophole via referendum that came into force as law in January so lots of non-FFL calls to that number now.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/4473-part-1-firearms-transaction-record-over-counter-atf-form-53009/download <-- Holy Shit. Okay, so I went to the biggest FFL in the state and they absolutely never showed me a form that looks like that, let alone required me to complete it. They gave me a small kind of postcard-size form to complete. Wow. I don't know what to do with that.

GICjEwp.gif

Wow, you were almost right. Just a few more than 10, though. Sorry, it's been like eight years since I purchased my guns and then returned them to the dealer for a refund.

And the FFL dealer's employees have to make the call for you; Maine closed the gunshow loophole via referendum that came into force as law in January so lots of non-FFL calls to that number now.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/4473-part-1-firearms-transaction-record-over-counter-atf-form-53009/download <-- Holy Shit. Okay, so I went to the biggest FFL in the state and they absolutely never showed me a form that looks like that, let alone required me to complete it. They gave me a small kind of postcard-size form to complete. Wow. I don't know what to do with that.

Why'd you get a refund? Just curious. 

The so-called “gun show loophole†is a term made up by anti-gunners to describe a problem that doesn’t really exist. Let’s get one thing clear from the start: every new gun in the U.S., if sold legally to a private citizen, is sold with a background check. No exceptions. What the “loophole†refers to is the fact that in some states (not all) private person-to-person sales can be performed without a background check. It just so happens that some of these are performed at gun shows, but the actual number is very, very low. Any gun you buy from a dealer at a gun show will require a background check. So, if you’re against the so-called “gun show loophole,†it just shows that you really don’t have a clue about how guns are transacted in the U.S. What you really want to be against are private sales and you want to be for  “universal background checks.†But universal background checks are a whole other issue. 

WHen was this? It was changed pretty recently. If it was fairly recently, then I'll just direct you to this site. https://www.atf.gov/contact/atf-tips

Why'd you get a refund? Just curious. They did absolutely nothing for me and one was sold as new and then I found foliage inside of it.

The so-called “gun show loophole†is a term made up by anti-gunners to describe a problem that doesn’t really exist. Let’s get one thing clear from the start: every new gun in the U.S., if sold legally to a private citizen, is sold with a background check. No exceptions. What the “loophole†refers to is the fact that in some states (not all) private person-to-person sales can be performed without a background check. It just so happens that some of these are performed at gun shows, but the actual number is very, very low. Any gun you buy from a dealer at a gun show will require a background check. So, if you’re against the so-called “gun show loophole,†it just shows that you really don’t have a clue about how guns are transacted in the U.S. What you really want to be against are private sales and you want to be for  “universal background checks.†But universal background checks are a whole other issue. 

The gunshow loophole is a real problem that still exists federally and in 49 states. All it does is extend requirements for background checks on all transfers of firearms. A very wise and justifiable thing that'll be nice to have to cut down on people being sold weapons by non-FFLs. Have you ever been to a gunshow? It's mostly not FFLs.

WHen was this? It was changed pretty recently. If it was fairly recently, then I'll just direct you to this site. https://www.atf.gov/contact/atf-tips Eight or nine years ago, I think.

GICjEwp.gif

They did absolutely nothing for me and one was sold as new and then I found foliage inside of it.

The gunshow loophole is a real problem that still exists federally and in 49 states. All it does is extend requirements for background checks on all transfers of firearms. A very wise and justifiable thing that'll be nice to have to cut down on people being sold weapons by non-FFLs.

Have you ever been to a gunshow? It's mostly not FFLs.

Eight or nine years ago, I think.

Interesting. 

What problem are you trying to solve? How many crimes are committed with guns bought at gun shows? Daniel Webster, former Director of the Johns Hopkins Center for Gun Policy and Research, reported with data from a 2004 survey of inmates in state prisons. "The offenders were incarcerated from crimes committed with handguns, and this is how they reported how they obtained the guns:

-Licensed gun dealer: 11 percent

-Friends or family: 39.5 percent

-The street: 37.5 percent

-Stolen gun: 9.9 percent

-Gun show/Flea market: 1.7 percent"

Sounds like we need to clean up the streets more than go after gun shows. 

Yes, I have. Actually, most vendors here are FFL dealers. 

Yeah, it's changed since then. 

Interesting. 

What problem are you trying to solve? People who aren't legally permitted to have guns being kept from buying them.  How many crimes are committed with guns bought at gun shows? I doubt anyone knows since there's no regulation. Daniel Webster, former Director of the Johns Hopkins Center for Gun Policy and Research, reported with data from a 2004 survey of inmates in state prisons. "The offenders were incarcerated from crimes committed with handguns, and this is how they reported how they obtained the guns:

-Licensed gun dealer: 11 percent

-Friends or family: 39.5 percent

-The street: 37.5 percent

-Stolen gun: 9.9 percent

-Gun show/Flea market: 1.7 percent"

Sounds like we need to clean up the streets more than go after gun shows. The streets using the same mechanism.

Yes, I have. Actually, most vendors here are FFL dealers. Interesting. Where do you live? Here it's a few FFLs and a &#33;@#&#036;load of random peoplew wanting to dump weapons without a background check, which is no longer possible here.

Yeah, it's changed since then. Ah, it seemed like they'd know what they were doing so it was surprise to read that.

GICjEwp.gif

People who aren't legally permitted to have guns being kept from buying them. doubt anyone knows since there's no regulation.The streets using the same mechanism.

Interesting. Where do you live? Here it's a few FFLs and a !@#$load of random people wanting to dump weapons without a background check, which is no longer possible here.

Ah, it seemed like they'd know what they were doing so it was surprise to read that.

To me, it sounds more like what you really want to be against are private sales and you want to be for "universal background checks." But universal background checks are a whole other issue. They don’t really work in the states that require them. Why do we need more background checks when we can’t even correctly use the ones we perform now? One major issue is the near total lack of enforcement for perjury on application forms for background checks. In 2010 alone, 76,142 fraudulent ATF Form 4473 applications were submitted. Only 4,732 of these cases were referred to law enforcement agencies, and less than 62 of those resulted in arrest and prosecution. Only 13 were found guilty or plead guilty. That means slightly under one-tenth of 1% of those illegally attempting to purchase a firearm from a licensed gun seller were even charged with a crime, let alone prosecuted for it.

North Carolina. http://dixiegunandknifeshow.com/

Gun laws change so much. It's so hard to keep up with everything.  :blink:

To me, it sounds more like what you really want to be against are private sales (Not at all, but they should have the same background checks as you'd see at an FFL) they s and you want to be for "universal background checks." But universal background checks are a whole other issue. They don’t really work in the states that require them. Why do we need more background checks when we can’t even correctly use the ones we perform now? Because ignoring the issue is pretty much just getting us into Guinness for mass killings. One major issue is the near total lack of enforcement for perjury on application forms for background checks. In 2010 alone, 76,142 fraudulent ATF Form 4473 applications were submitted. Only 4,732 of these cases were referred to law enforcement agencies, and less than 62 of those resulted in arrest and prosecution. Only 13 were found guilty or plead guilty. That means slightly under one-tenth of 1% of those illegally attempting to purchase a firearm from a licensed gun seller were even charged with a crime, let alone prosecuted for it. If only they had a law with which to punish those people, like requiring a background check before purchase/trade.

North Carolina. http://dixiegunandknifeshow.com/

Gun laws change so much. It's so hard to keep up with everything.  :blink:

GICjEwp.gif