Principle: Never Nerf

Yang

The game strikes me as a bit weird because it looks like the game mechanics are always changing. This is a really poor way of designing, but I understand that sometimes some things are OP.

One principle I liked was from the Kittens game, which is to never nerf.

You can add new features in and buff them if they're too week. The Uranium Enrichment Program and Intelligence Agency are great examples of uranium and spy buffs respectively.

Things that are completely underpowered and not fun can be deprecated. Like no timers on the first free cities.

What's not good is suddenly reducing aircraft damage or increasing navy damage. Nerfs should be done by adding something that obsoletes it.

If you wanted to nerf aircraft, nerf infra, and buff missiles, you could an anti-air improvement that increases casualties to aircraft. The extra improvement slot would nerf the effects of infra, and the possibility of it being destroyed by missiles would make them more useful.

If you wanted to nerf Fortify, you could add a "bombardment" attack to air and navy, which would do double Fortify damage. Instead of overhauling the mechanics completely.

• Upvote 2