Are/Is you/anything real?

Frank Todd

We have been reading quite a bit on "Altered States of Perception" as of late, and one question keeps us up at night... Are we even real?

One author suggests that we are all contained into our own realities, each a bubble floating in it's own respective place, giving "real" status only to the one that the bubble belongs too.

Another (LoveCraft) used to suggest that his world was much that of his fiction, where we are all the result of an all powerful, albeit sleeping, monster's dreams.

Now many believe that our world is very much real, and that is all well and good, but then when you divide groups into "logical" and "Religious" you start to see a blur in the reason for the why and why-not.

A Christian would argue that the world is real because God made it so, but then that would loop back to the theory that God might just be a person in which the Bubble belongs too (Or not for various other reasons.)

An Atheist would argue that the world is real because of the big bang, and the fact that they "Know" that they are in the real world.

Any answer has some merit as to the authentication of reality... But we ask you... How do you know that the world around you is real, and that your not the only real thing walking around the world?

YPrec4e.gif

d0r0WcS.gif

how would each of us in our own reality be different from being each omnipotent or whatever

some people dont wash their hands after wiping their butt is evidence enough for me that I'm not in control of anything

• Upvote 1

x0H0NxD.jpg?1

01:05:55 <%fistofdoom> im out of wine

01:06:03 <%fistofdoom> i winsih i had port
01:06:39 <@JoshF{BoC}> fistofdoom: is the snowman drunk with you

01:07:32 <%fistofdoom> i knet i forgot somehnt

Facebook-%C2%B7-89c6cf.png

i h8 nihilism

x0H0NxD.jpg?1

how would each of us in our own reality be different from being each omnipotent or whatever

some people dont wash their hands after wiping their butt is evidence enough for me that I'm not in control of anything

This made us lol intensely

i h8 nihilism

But y th0?

d0r0WcS.gif

i feel like its the worst "justification for x"

x0H0NxD.jpg?1

Understandable,

But for some it more so an answer to things not having to be more dire than they are.. If that makes sense.

An example; I had lost my job about 3 years back and I was freaking out over some bills (even though I would have been fine since another job lined up, and even then I had money saved up for a good 2 years) I was sinking into depression as well (just cause a handful of other things had piled up that were out of my control)... If not for a somewhat Nihilistic view on all of it, I would have very well blown my brains out. Granted I don't think that everything should be viewed under that lens, but as a view it does have it's merits.

d0r0WcS.gif

That very same reasoning would have led me into doing what you very well might have done if I partook in it some years ago myself. I don't know what can be drawn from those opposites.

x0H0NxD.jpg?1

i feel like its the worst "justification for x"

I don't think you have a strong enough understanding of nihilism for you to comment intelligently about it. 

It's a useful mental exercise. Through the years, many thinkers have been fascinated by it. But I don't enjoy playing. It was a game that was born during a brutal age when life counted for little. Everyone believed that some people were worth more than others. Kings. Pawns. I don't think that anyone is worth more than anyone else. Chess is just a game. Real people are not pieces. You can't assign more value to some of them and not others. Not to me. Not to anyone. People are not a thing that you can sacrifice. The lesson is, if anyone who looks on to the world as if it was a game of chess, deserves to lose.

I don't think you have a strong enough understanding of nihilism for you to comment intelligently about it. 

Feel free to think whatever you want, guy.

x0H0NxD.jpg?1