Old FA vs Current FA

Jodo

I do think this is a good post to take away from this thread. Regardless of whether or not you agree with the content of the OP it did spark a discussion that was interesting (at least to me and apparently many people responding) and sparked a debate and conversation that involved people from across the political spectrum in Orbis. Also some hilarious past TEst drama. Reading this thread I think the people saying that the 'game is dying' or politics is stagnating can only look at the active conversations being had between people from several alliances on these forums as well as the numerous conflicts, flashpoints, and political changes that occurred over the past year. The alliances that don't adapt to current political realities or incentivize activity in their alliances will falter while others will overtake them. It doesn't really matter what kind of alliance you have whether it is restrictive to join or more inclusive. Players have plenty of choices for different kinds of alliances with differing cultures and structures.

Yeah I guess I was more talking on straight up bashing without adding anything.

Nerd To The Core

All I know is that apathetic community of Rose(what's left of it since all core members left) got sick of being rolled every single war and thus have hid behind you to fill their incompetence which turned out to work for them.

The irony is a portion of the members you are referring to left because they didn't like the direction Rose was going (higher activity standards, higher communication standards, proactive economic policy to improve our fighting capabilities).

Maybe I'm a dick, But I consider the "core" members not to be the ones who have been around for ages, but the ones who are active, engaged with the community, and willing to contribute to the success of the alliance.

Not sure who shat in your cereal but you have no idea what you are talking about since you aren't in Rose and have no idea how we are doing internally.

But ayy, keep bein salty bro.

• Upvote 6

XLL3z4T.gif

At this point I think most not in the hegemoney are fine, I've known things were quite dead for some time as others probably have as well.

Its certainly rich of alliances who added to the problem in a bid to escape repeated beatdowns lecture others, especially since they made sure of it by getting rid of treaties that were inconvenient. 

TEst is probably the last interesting thing we will see for the next year or 2. 

Perhaps those alliances have the right idea though, join another sphere live mostly in peace. I reckon if everyone joined the same sphere we would have more entertaining politics than we do now. 

Edited by Lightning
  • Upvote 2

IpHGyGc.png

So if anyone has reason to quit the game it's me.  But I'm not quitting (although sometimes I wonder why I bother) because I have adapted to the situation I've been presented with.

I don't think the solution is necessarily to just sign as many allies as you can and build a counter-Syndi sphere (or try like hell to saddle up).  Most of the time that's not even feasible in either case.  And that puts my alliance at the whims of other alliances which has really sucked at times.  And quite frankly most of us will never be active enough to put in the hours needed for proper FA sphere building/strategy that 100+ nation alliances can do.

But what I can do is make my alliance a nasty filthy target to attack - one that pops back up and always outdamages it's opponents.  I can wedge out a little group of ultra-solid allies and be ready for whatever comes our way whether it's 5 nations or 500.  People can laugh at nuclear weapons, but they have their place as a tactically sound weapon in *certain* situations.

• Upvote 3

So if anyone has reason to quit the game it's me.  But I'm not quitting (although sometimes I wonder why I bother) because I have adapted to the situation I've been presented with.

I don't think the solution is necessarily to just sign as many allies as you can and build a counter-Syndi sphere (or try like hell to saddle up).  Most of the time that's not even feasible in either case.  And that puts my alliance at the whims of other alliances which has really sucked at times.  And quite frankly most of us will never be active enough to put in the hours needed for proper FA sphere building/strategy that 100+ nation alliances can do.

But what I can do is make my alliance a nasty filthy target to attack - one that pops back up and always outdamages it's opponents.  I can wedge out a little group of ultra-solid allies and be ready for whatever comes our way whether it's 5 nations or 500.  People can laugh at nuclear weapons, but they have their place as a tactically sound weapon in *certain* situations.

No one's laughing at nukes anymore.

gkt70Td.png

For those saying it isn't physically possible to counter the syndi-OOsphere as is, you're right completely. Syndicate foreign policy has cultivated this sphere for about a year and a half since breaking away from Paragon. The amount of goddamn protectorates (much to my frustration) they had when they started out was insane, along with allying with the side that had lost the Great VE war or whatever it was called (someone in t$ still has the sig on here from the propaganda from that war huea). Of the two sides, t$ were on the underdog side for a long time, take a brief second to look at the Oktoberfest wiki page to see the standings then: http://politicsandwar.wikia.com/wiki/Oktoberfest

It was only going into the Silent War that the Syndi-OOsphere were considered the outright top dogs, and that was simply of the virtue that they had won every war since it's formation, numerically the advantage wasn't that great. t$ had taken the time to woo BK, TKR, Pantheon, Cornerstone and all the other big names that we see today but when they began their friendship with t$ they weren't big powerhouse alliances (granted BK was still strong iirc). All of those alliances recruited new players and grew them into strong nations that form strong alliances. A year and a half ago, only MENSA and t$ itself were top alliances that remain in their sphere today, the sphere which by no coincidence occupy the top 6 spots in terms of points on the alliance leader board at the time of posting. I'm pretty sure t$ & MENSA held spots 7 & 8 going into the Proxy War, or there about.

The overall point of this pseudo-history lesson is that it's going to take some sort of FA work to cultivate new alliances, p&w is growing (you'll all have noticed we've just overtaken (That terrible game that is totally irrelevant and I shouldn't be bringing it up anyways) in numbers of players) so there is fresh blood coming in, you just have to exploit them and turn them into allies and/or new recruits. VE and UPN used to be the big mass alliances that were light years away from the rest of us, it's going to take a bit of effort but that's exactly what we~ did to get to the state we are in today. 

Edit: Also see http://politicsandwar.wikia.com/wiki/Great_VE_Warfor MENSA's position a year and a half ago and the compare the two sides of that war and their respective strength/positions. 

Edited by Thedark

Dio-wryyy.gif

º¤ø„¤¤º°¨ ø„¸¸„¨ ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸
¨°º¤ø„¸ GOD EMPEROR DIO BRANDO¨°º¤ø„¸
¨°º¤ø„¸ DIO BRANDO GOD EMPEROR¨°º¤ø„¸

¨°º¤ø„¤¤º°¨ ø„¸¸„¨ ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸

No one's laughing at nukes anymore.

You have to admit using them before the war changes was defeatist with all the negatives like insta-beige. It made for purely defensive, last ditch use only. Now they have turned, dangerously, into a tactical defensive weapon.

I do think this is a good post to take away from this thread. Regardless of whether or not you agree with the content of the OP it did spark a discussion that was interesting (at least to me and apparently many people responding) and sparked a debate and conversation that involved people from across the political spectrum in Orbis. Also some hilarious past TEst drama. Reading this thread I think the people saying that the 'game is dying' or politics is stagnating can only look at the active conversations being had between people from several alliances on these forums as well as the numerous conflicts, flashpoints, and political changes that occurred over the past year. The alliances that don't adapt to current political realities or incentivize activity in their alliances will falter while others will overtake them. It doesn't really matter what kind of alliance you have whether it is restrictive to join or more inclusive. Players have plenty of choices for different kinds of alliances with differing cultures and structures.

Here's the issue with your assessment: It's mostly the same old people. When it's just the same old people debating in circles, that is stagnation. Just because there are wars doesn't mean it's not a stagnant situation. It just means it's not costly enough to put more time in between them and you can have multiple curbstomps. In terms of the whole, this is a largely inactive game. Just because there's an active small minority of players posting at each other doesn't mean it's sustainable though that minority can generate a lot of activity by going in circles in topics.

The political changes over the past year have largely contributed to stagnation, as it has mostly been one side giving up in progressive stages resulting in uncontested dominance by the other, which is an adaptation to political reality. Very few people are "incentivized" to be active. They either have an intrinsic desire to be active and incentives help or they don't have the game as a priority and it is what it is.When there is a concentration of the more "hardcore" players on one side, this is what you get.

I think it's also worth mentioning the effect of mechanical changes on this gameplay. When Sheepy (essentially) removed infrastructure from effecting score -- the ability for smaller spheres to "punch stronger than their weight" was removed. Now the game rewards number of members in a sphere far, far more than it did previously.

• Upvote 1

☾☆

High Priest of Dio

Kf57s2T.png

Syndisphere is leagues better at FA than anyone else. The new mechanics buff this strength more than the old system.

Either Sheepy needs to change mechanics back to place less focus on total members to win wars, or y'all need to get gud. Those are the only two possible outcomes you face.

☾☆

High Priest of Dio

Syndisphere is leagues better at FA than anyone else. The new mechanics buff this strength more than the old system.

Either Sheepy needs to change mechanics back to place less focus on total members to win wars, or y'all need to get gud. Those are the only two possible outcomes you face.

Or the third option, the one which will likely happen. The game dies.

• Upvote 1

[11:52 PM] Prefontaine: But Keegoz is actually bad. [11:52 PM] Prefontaine: He's my favorite bad leader though.

I just want to throw in my two cents here- I don't think that all the blame can be solely pointed at the syndisphere as it is. From my perspective, when BoC switched sides, it was not because we wanted to win all the time, that didn't matter. Taking a hit is all part of how you play, the rolling didn't matter. No, it was because where we were invited to, the obsidian order, was genuinely more friendly and welcoming. I chose them over the covenant when we were deciding, because we had allies that were frankly not very good to us. I'm sure you're all lovely people really, but you sure do know how to put a guy on a downer. There wasn't a sense of friendship with UPN/DEIC during my time in BoC gov with them around, but with OO I feel much more community, and I can safely say that they aren't just my allies, but my friends. It's not forced. Everything about the other side seemed forced, acted. I wasn't up for that, so I elected to switch. The point is, I think the reason people began to switch is because the syndisphere seemed friendlier, and a more fun place to be. Inb4 'Ur opinion doesn't matter cuz ur BoC lol' but that's just what I think.

• Upvote 2

Roll Squeegee pact with Redarmy and Ameyuri

Blues Brothers pact with Redarmy

Leader of the Elyion Resistance. If it's backed by NPO, you know it's evil