Architects of the Void

Schwieger

K'inich B'alam could be heard stifling laughter all throughout Empress Elizabeth's speech. 'Protecting assets', what a joke. It would be like one of the locals bringing in one of their wet-navy aircraft carries in response to some amazonian tribals ganging up on one of the modernizing local tribes. It was so hard to hold in his laughter, that either Triskel felt threatened by the natives, or expected us to believe it. Disrupting trade? Between who, UMS members? The effect the war had on trade was minor. No, this was easily a power play, one which the Empress wished to extend all of the UMS into after being called out.

The Pordish and Brotherhood responses were uneventful. It was Danica's response that grew his attention, and distaste. She fair to the point of being unfair. It was frustrating, but not what drove B'alam to irritation. Oh no, the Frog from the Local Pond getting up and center, as if she held the weight of Empress Elizabeth in these talks, and speaking of unity and peace when the recent tensions that caused the blockade were caused by her people belligerence was... It was sickening, like someone had puked in the beautiful Pordish waters. But then, then the Brotherhood representative spoke, and words with the stench of trash fell from what B'alam assumed to be the creatures mouth. It was all too much.

"Why we are here? To bear torches?" The prince asked the UMS members in attendance, rhetorically. "The Nakbe are here because they are a weak System State, and needed to expand. In safety of allied company, in a primitive universe was their prime choice. If they so much as dared to bring the chatoic, unpredictable, local wildlife up to speed technologically, we Tonina would smash their colonies into oblivion." He looked over to the Brotherhood's representative while saying this, with an aggressive and authoritative look in his eye. "I would harken all in attendance to recognize two facts. One, that all of this started because the local woman, who just took center and spoke's people assaulted Chernigov for no discernable reason. Two, that the Triskeli kept up their blockade long after the "war" was over. What does this mean?"

After glancing at all in attendance, he let his eyes rest on Empress Elizabeth at the center of the room. "It means that the Empress has ulterior motives. It means that the local woman has ulterior motives. And I can only assume, the fact that we are now discussing dividing up duties has ulterior motives. That "peace" and "enlightenment" have ulterior motives..." He glanced around, letting his eyes linger on the Brotherhood's representative, letting his words sink in, before he continued. "Since no one is being up-front with their intentions, I guess that duty falls to me. Tonina, and so long as we dominate the confederation, the Maya, will not tolerate the uplifting of the locals of this verse. If they wish to benefit from us, they will bow to us... Many Mayan System-States are eyeing locals here as potential tributaries... I cannot agree to any proposal that does not allow Mayan Interests to go on unchecked... But while I have everyone's attention, are the locals allowed the freedom to interrupt to processions with their input as they wish?" He asked, now sounding inquisitive, as he looked toward Admiral nam-Kalzhak. "I was under the impression they were here to observe? Or perhaps speak with limits, at certain times... Whoever thought it was a good idea for them to be allowed to speak freely should be reprimanded, Admiral."

Edited by The Sacred Lights

<span style='font-size: 18px;'><span style='color: #b22222'><span class='bbc_underline'>"<em class='bbc'>We regret that the size of the multiverse has permitted them to exist for so long unchecked."</em></span></span><br />Remember, <em class='bbc'>I'M </em>the New Douche, not the other 7 New Guys. I'm <em class='bbc'>not</em> a Majority.</span><br />rKC4GSg.gif

Alexei, who had been listening to everyone's speeches in the past hour, finally decided that it was time to give his own. Slowly, he got up from his seat to give the said speech.

"Esteemed allies and new friends, I would like to speak to you about this current... situation. This blockade is... a crippling burden that will cause the crisis that it seeks to avoid. As you can see of recent actions by both parties, a war is on the horizon, one which will cause millions, if not billions, to loose their lives needlessly. It is, for the sake of peace, imperative that this blockade end and that the natives be granted access to the outer regions of their home system. Of course, this can not be done without any form of compromise. That I understand completely. As such, I do believe that the UMS should be permitted to patrol the system in order to keep the system safe until the natives are ready to take over. And of course, I can not forget about Orbis VI and it's many resources. For instance, access to the planet which they call "Saturn" should be heavily restricted in order to keep the assets of nations such as the member states of the UMS. Then, of course, we come to the main problem. That problem, of course, is Orbis IV, or as we call it, Adenn. We have encountered natives of some kind on the planet. We do know they are sentient in some manner, as we have found stone tools of some kind as well as some kind of early metal weaponry. It could be that they were brought here by another race, or it could have been a side effect of the terraforming process. However, that is besides the point. I would like to advise any future colonists that they should not, under any circumstances, approach this race, nor should anyone interfere with their cultural development until they are capable of contacting any of the nations colonizing the planet. That is all." Alexei said before taking his seat.

Manifest Destiny

nam-Kalzhak blinks. Perhaps it is out of genuine surprise (UMS members? Negotiating on the behalf of locals?), but he suddenly feels the great urge to stifle irritation, almost as if he himself has been insulted (what a crude breed of creatures... Humans...). Off to the side he can hear the scribe jotting down each and every word being uttered for posterity. This will be interesting to discuss with Murdoch and the others. He blinks again. Perhaps it may have been better to let High Hunter Nykat host the summit. At least then he could wax philosophical about sentient rights or some such drivel to placate the concerns of Kressnia and the Brotherhood - at least on some level. But nam-Kalzhak, an Admiral of the VRZ (emphasis on the V - Voznayte, or warlike, as it is oft roughly translated), has no grand desire to engage in such... Trite conversation. He turns fully to B'alam and speaks firmly:

In the interest of not insulting the Triskeli at their own summit, I believe for the time being we can live with the commentary from the observing powers, he says, his gaze slowly drifting over to the Empress from the Triskelion Federation. Of course, this is an... Internal UMS matter, he says curtly and without tact. The Admiral stops to let his words sink in for almost five minutes but does not yield the floor. The time passes; he drinks once more and uses the opportunity to continue..:

If such a multinational taskforce is created, we will not support it, nam-Kalzhak says. Memories of the Great Kiran Sol War begin flooding his mind as he speaks and he can just about see the GRA vessels descending into the air column (he was not there personally but was following the battle in real-time), through the Laptev-SC-DC cordon, to bombard the Jewel of the Atlantic. Admiral Heinz, who commanded the rift fleets there, spoke very poorly of the coalition's ability to stop them. It was only after their direct destruction was threatened, and the ability to carry out such threats demonstrated, that the GRA withdrew from the system. Of course, the Kirans ignored the cordon entirely and were engaged, but even after the deaths of millions, the destruction of entire cities, the flattening of Japan, the sinking of tens of thousands of warships, and the vapourization of most of the Pacific Ocean, the Kiran fleets, like the GRA, escaped practically untouched. 

He slides a map of the star system onto the table and the various planets and bodies appear. UMS and UMS-aligned flags cover all of the worlds: tridents near the ice giants, symbols of Nika by the inner rocky worlds, crimson banners betwixt Orbis V and Orbis VI, and fluctuating Triskeli and Kressnian standards over Orbis IV. Kressnia's star is firmly plastered beneath Orbis III.  

Are there any UMS objections to this proposed set up? nam-Kalzhak asks.

Roleplay Nations:

Imperial Nalydya

Kingdom of Waikahla-Pohaku'ula

"Your fiction is much greater than our own... We will, of course, defer to your judgement on all things that don't exist."

"Why we are here? To bear torches?" The prince asked the UMS members in attendance, rhetorically. "The Nakbe are here because they are a weak System State, and needed to expand. In safety of allied company, in a primitive universe was their prime choice. If they so much as dared to bring the chatoic, unpredictable, local wildlife up to speed technologically, we Tonina would smash their colonies into oblivion." He looked over to the Brotherhood's representative while saying this, with an aggressive and authoritative look in his eye. "I would harken all in attendance to recognize two facts. One, that all of this started because the local woman, who just took center and spoke's people assaulted Chernigov for no discernable reason. Two, that the Triskeli kept up their blockade long after the "war" was over. What does this mean?"

After glancing at all in attendance, he let his eyes rest on Empress Elizabeth at the center of the room. "It means that the Empress has ulterior motives. It means that the local woman has ulterior motives. And I can only assume, the fact that we are now discussing dividing up duties has ulterior motives. That "peace" and "enlightenment" have ulterior motives..." He glanced around, letting his eyes linger on the Brotherhood's representative, letting his words sink in, before he continued. "Since no one is being up-front with their intentions, I guess that duty falls to me. Tonina, and so long as we dominate the confederation, the Maya, will not tolerate the uplifting of the locals of this verse. If they wish to benefit from us, they will bow to us... Many Mayan System-States are eyeing locals here as potential tributaries... I cannot agree to any proposal that does not allow Mayan Interests to go on unchecked... But while I have everyone's attention, are the locals allowed the freedom to interrupt to processions with their input as they wish?" He asked, now sounding inquisitive, as he looked toward Admiral nam-Kalzhak. "I was under the impression they were here to observe? Or perhaps speak with limits, at certain times... Whoever thought it was a good idea for them to be allowed to speak freely should be reprimanded, Admiral."

Go'lonthv's entire body stiffened.  He forced his body to rise once more so that, had he not been in uniform, parts of his foot would be visible.

"What kind of fool would uplift creatures who fire upon hatcheries and nests with nuclear weapons on a daily basis?  Creatures who have already ensured that their world is always irradiated despite many efforts to limit the use of nuclear weapons?  They are the sort who set flames to everything they see and, before the ashes even finish cooling, set more just because they can.

"We speak of peace not because we wish to kowtow to such beings.  We acknowledge Kressnia's concerns not because we wish to reward their slaughter and brutality and celebrate the way in which they torch their cities.  They are torchbearers because they are so eager to destroy, how could anyone encourage it?  In a way, we do so to protect us.  The Maya, as do all other peoples, have the right to take what they can in a vast universe of unclaimed worlds and star systems.  So long as no other power objects, the Maya can expand all they like.  Unfortunately for all of us, we entered a system inhabited by creatures who commit the unthinkable upon the helpless.  Now perhaps many of you bear live young.  Your children are fortunate enough to be able to flee.  But those of us who lay eggs can watch as those eggs are shattered, and trampled, and eaten.  The horror of seeing one's young die is a horror I would not wish on anyone.  Yet the torchbearers who burn cities commit that crime, the slaughtering of innocent young, with impunity.  Their nuclear weapons do not discriminate, but many young who are unable to fend for themselves die as a result.

"Because that crime is still being committed on a global scale, even as we speak, the Brotherhood will not leave and will maintain a presence for as long as it takes.  But we cannot risk being too greatly involved, nor can we risk committing the very crimes we seek to prevent.  In truth, if the Maya can prevent them from continuing their madness...  The Brotherhood will do nothing to impede progress."

Then Go'lonthv slowly began to sink back into his chair.  His body assuming a far more relaxed and 'viscous' (OOC Note: Need synonyms nao) posture.

"We have no intention of impeding the efforts of any UMS member.  As such, we have no objections towards guardianship over the other worlds of the Orbis system nor the rejection of the multinational taskforce."

Go'lonthv finally turned to Alexei.  "Good sir, does this blockade really affect the majority of natives on Orbis III, natives who even lack the means to travel to the jovian planets reliably?  Methinks the blockade does not affect their lives at all."

"The world is a comedy to those that think; a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

Though Danica listened to all those who spoke-- she was particularly pleased with the French Secretary's words, and later intrigued by Alexei's reveal of incredibly primitive people on Mars-- as the UMS members each spoke in turn, she sighed, and by the end had put her head in her hands, rubbing her eyes. A dull ache began in her forehead, a sign of the mounting frustration she felt.

Shouldn't have even bothered, she thought to herself rather bitterly. Her naïveté had caused this mess, and perhaps she could not have expected any different. But she had made her choice to speak when and how she had, and she was sorely tempted to speak again.

And after a few moments of deliberation, she did.

Standing up yet again, she looked to those assembled among her actual allies.

"It appears that I am the only one here," she said, trying to keep the bitter tone from her voice, "that actually believes in these people. For the record, speaking to Lord B'alam, it was I who thought the observers should be allowed to speak. If I am to be reprimanded for that, fine. I would make the same decision again if I had to do it over. The only thing I regret is opening my mouth, not what has come out of it."

She strode to the center of the room again, and produced a disc-like device that, when activated, hovered off the ground.

"As much as it pains me to say so... Perhaps Ambassador Go'lonthv of the Brotherhood is correct. Perhaps it truly is our duty to look to the natives and attempt to shepherd them. Lord knows I'm guilty of that with my own people. Not because I feel myself superior to them, but because I love them, and want them to be better. The Kressnians are generally not warlike. They are not conquerors. But this was not always the case."

She made a gesture with her hand, and the floating disc projected a large holographic image of the Milky Way. She made another gesture, and the image zoomed in upon the Orion Arm.

"This is the Orion Arm of my home universe, a universe designated 'BF-1'. Four hundred years ago, by our calendar, the single largest conflict ever waged by the humans of BF-1 took place: The Great Interstellar War," Danica said, beginning to pace slowly around the image.

The Orion Arm lit up, or at least a not-insignificant portion of it, and was overlaid with two colors: A vibrant blue, on which an insignia representing Earth-- or Orbis-- appeared. The second color was an angry red, with a black, angular insignia that looked brutish and crude, similar to fascist symbols of the 20th Century and beyond. The red seemed to be larger than the blue, at first.

"The blue is representative of the Earth Systems Alliance, the original government of my universe's humanity. The red, represents the Gotazen Union, so named for its founder, Justinian Gotazes. The Union believed the ESA was an oppressive governmental force, levying harsh taxes and forcing conscription, which was true. And so Gozates rallied planet after planet to his cause, because the ESA at that time refused to admit to any wrongdoing. Sounds simple, no? Not quite: Gotazes was even worse. He was a fascist who brutally suppressed any dissidence, while conditioning his people and those who rallied around him through propaganda to hate the ESA with a fiery, absolute passion that... worked too well, as when he got strong enough to secede from the ESA, Gotazes spent a decade slowly building up forces. And then he declared war."

The colors began to move, with the red starting to dominate the blue and cause it to shrink before they fluctuated.

"Fifteen years. That's how long the Great Interstellar War lasted. Hundreds of thousands of ships lost, hundreds of millions of people lost on both sides... But by the last year of the war..."

She looked up at the hologram, and the blue suddenly began swallowing up the red, circling around a particular stronghold of the red and surrounding it. Another gesture, and she zoomed in on the stronghold to show images of heavily urbanized, clearly highly populated star systems.

"The Gotazen Union was on its last legs. They had no navy anymore, and while they still had billions in terms of population, they were reduced to their home sector: The Nidalean Sector, comprising of twenty inhabited star systems. The ESA military command knew that attempting to assault the sector directly would bring even more massive casualties. They also believed that Gotazes had been so effective in his conditioning that every single person in the Nidalean Sector would rather lay down their lives than surrender. And so there was no surrender."

A counter appeared above the images, showing a number: 17,789,467,351. The images changed to footage of missiles being launched from starships, shown by their exterior cameras, and heading down towards various planets. As the first massive explosion was seen, the counter began to wind down, and as the missiles began to pick up in number to the point it was hard to count, the counter plummeted, faster and faster, while footage of the planets themselves actually being damaged enough to break apart was shown. Danica watched this with a steely gaze, and it was clear to anyone who looked to her that she was envisioning as many of those numbers as possible as the people they represented. When the counter reached zero... The footage ended, and Danica zoomed back out to show the Orion Arm, with the highlighted territory now all blue.

"The Alliance won the war, because by the end of it, there was no-one left alive in the Nidalean Sector to surrender to them. The planets were all destroyed and turned into husks, into rubble, due to incredibly liberal use of antimatter weaponry. Not a single member of the Union in that area survived that purge. And it all happened... Within a single, solar day. Every ESA nation took part in it... Even Kressnia. But why am I saying all of this? Why am I giving this... admittedly long-winded lecture? This is why."

The highlighted area shifted, covering more stars in the Orion Arm, and the blue color changed slightly, with the insignia also including a number of star-like dots around Earth.

"The ESA, in the aftermath of the War, became so disgusted with themselves for the genocide they committed, that they vowed to reform not as a supranational government, but as an entire species. They vowed two simple words: Never again. The Earth Systems Alliance became the Earth Systems Confederation, giving more autonomy to its members and voluntarily demilitarizing-- not completely, but to the point where nobody needed to worry about another Gotazes. What you see now is the Confederation as it was shortly before Kressnia was cosmically punted into the NS-1 universe. My point... is that my universe's humanity sank lower than it ever had before on that day. But it saw what it had done, and it realized how wrong it was. Conflict was not abolished. They did not turn into some perfect society where no-one ever fought. But they have held true to their vow to never conduct anything like the Scourge, or the Great Interstellar War, ever again."

The holographic display powered down, and she looked directly to the observers.

"Most of your nations are young. You still squabble over finite resources like any society that hasn't reached post-scarcity. But I reject the idea that this is all you are. I reject the idea that you cannot change, or that you must kneel before a greater power to benefit from it. Ambassador Go'lonthv may be right in that right now, you can't necessarily be trusted as nations-- not as people-- to not use what we have to offer you for selfish, petty reasons instead of working together. But if you take anything to heart that was said here today, take this: We are here to help you, if you are willing to commit yourselves to change, to keep your beloved home from becoming a graveyard. It worked for my people. And I believe with all my heart that it can work for you. That will never change."

She looked back to the UMS delegates, her expression rather firm in the manner of someone whose sincere convictions had come to the forefront.

"Kressnia finds the proposed partitioning of the Orbis system acceptable, Admiral nam-Kalzhak. Please forgive my long filibuster, as it was primarily directed toward the observers. If I am to be reprimanded for inviting them to speak, so be it."

She gave him a respectful bow, took the floating disc-like device back, and marched back to her seat, sitting down. She steepled her fingers together and hid most of her face behind them, eyes closed.

Edited by Oncaro
  • Upvote 1

Member of the Union of Multiversal States

"No! I must kill the Karlings" he shouted
The dynasty tree said "No, John. You are the Karlings"
And then John was a cadet branch.

"Tonina, and thus the Maya Confederation, vote No to the proposal. It is either driven by cowardice, desire to control, or desire to babysit, if not all three, and we desire none of it. Chaos and Bloodshed is the way of the universe, life devours life. To keep violence from happening in system, will hinder Mayan rights to justify expansion. Few people wish to become tributaries when the galaxy is quiet and peaceful... The proposal is an insult to our interests." He said, in his vote on the subject. As for Go'lonthv, some things needed to be said. "I apologize, Gulont-. Go'lonthv, what a name. I apologize for misunderstanding your intentions. I hope we can have your peoples support in denying this proposal, and change your voice to actively vote against the proposal."

As for Danica... This woman, this is why the Women ruled the planets, while the Men ruled the affairs concerning foreigners. Her foolish nurturing words might have been endearing, if they did not actually carry weight in the UMS. He addressed her firmly. "You should set aside your motherly concerns, these locals are not your children. They do not need your coddling, or rearing, anymore than they need your faith in them. I will make this obvious once again, the Maya desire to bring them to knee. With some system-states being willing to break their legs to do it." He sighed, leaning back in his seat.

"Your history lesson, we all have history. My confederation average a Civil War every 100 years. They are brutal, especially since we do not resort to wiping out planets, we take ground, and captives, city by city. The losses are considerable." B'alam closed his eyes for a moment, reminded of the many Civil Wars he had partaken in, the friends he lost, the bloodshed, and suffering. Such was fate. "The lesson you should take from your history, is that your men are weak and do not have the stomach for war... Your peoples circumstance, and those of these locals, are too different to use it as some bridge to their circumstance." He opened his eyes, and casually gestured to the French Delegate. "This woman doesn't see what her people did as wrong, she did not even acknowledge it when speaking, all the while speaking of peace as her peoples virtues.. Your people changed because they offended the values they already had, these animals have no values. Did you not see it yourself? One of them nearly went to war with me, out of selfish pride. Such recklessness."

Finally he looks back to Danica. "Danica, perhaps it is because you are a woman that you cannot harden your heart to them. If so you should step down, and let your external affairs be handled by someone with less idealism. You will burn your heart, and your peoples pride, by reaching out to these chaotic entities." His posture changed, no longer relaxed, he sat upright and spoke firmly. "These creatures are warlike, more in common with I than you. They speak the language of violence, and that is what will civilize them. A good beating."

• Upvote 1

<span style='font-size: 18px;'><span style='color: #b22222'><span class='bbc_underline'>"<em class='bbc'>We regret that the size of the multiverse has permitted them to exist for so long unchecked."</em></span></span><br />Remember, <em class='bbc'>I'M </em>the New Douche, not the other 7 New Guys. I'm <em class='bbc'>not</em> a Majority.</span><br />rKC4GSg.gif

Elizabeth had been sat listening as each national leader took the floor to speak. Though when the local plant life decided to raise their melons above the parapet to mutter their irrelevancies for the gods to listen she appeared to be on the verge of completely zoning out of the conversation. Only when the people of any importance in the room did she pay attention. It was always amusing to Elizabeth the stark differences in nations which made up the UMS, from the nations which would exterminate whole nations with their only worry being whether the blood stained their boots, this could be contrasted with those who treated themselves like baby sitters to the galaxy, looking after the petulant children of the galaxy, whom in reality should have been drowned at birth; Her eyes drifted towards the locals, between them there was not a single iota of competence. She waited until everyone was doing speaking and made her

way to the centre of the room.

Her eyes locked onto B'alam like a predator sizing up a tasty meal “You appear to have come to the conclusion that I have some kind of care for the local plant life.†She paced across the room towards where the local observers had placed themselves “I just want you all to know that ground beneath my feet has served more importance than the entirety of your civilizations combined. I could slaughter you all now, let your blood soak across the floor and the only issue that would be created from my action is the cleaning bill for the floor where you stand. From this day forward, you will understand when you hear my name or anyone’s name in this room. You will bow before your God’s like the true insects that you areâ€. Her tone was flat but stern at the same time, her eyes moved across the delegates one by one.

Pacing calmly back towards the UMS members she spoke again “I may or may not have hidden plans sometimes. If you ask me to be direct with a bunch of low intelligence politicians I can and just have been. I had my aides invite the pond life today so that they could witness their new masters in action†A smile came across her face. “I believe firmly that they have witnessed this fullyâ€.

In a much lighter tone she spoke to Admiral nam-Kalzhak “I would firmly agree to that proposition bar Orbis IV. Triskel has interests in building land assets on the planet and would much rather be the sole controller of the space around it while our allies can patrol and govern Orbis proper. This is my only issue with the current propositionâ€. She bowed and returned to her seat.

Disgusting. Absolutely disgusting. Never in her life had Danica seen such flagrant disrespect for... sapient life in general, really. First B'alam chastised her for acting motherly as if it were a bad thing, and more or less calling her inept for it, after declaring that peace went against Toninan interests after he had actually attempted to talk Alexei out of war to begin with (and had succeeded alongside Danica herself in doing so), and then Elizabeth had the nerve to stand up and openly, gleefully declare her contempt for the observers present and tell them to submit to her empire, and the UMS as a whole, or... Well, Danica supposed she'd just exterminate them all. Because why not? They were less than plant life in Elizabeth's eyes, after all, who would possibly care?

She'd heard enough. Standing up, Danica looked silently over at the UMS delegates, most specifically B'alam and Elizabeth, and though inside she felt so angry that it seemed to loop around and make her calm, she spoke to them both coolly.

"So that's it, then," she declared, her voice soft but it carried throughout the entire room. "The intentions of at least two of the members of our esteemed alliance are completely clear. One does not want any sort of peace of any kind, and sees fit to mock me for my attempts at making peace by trying to appeal to the better natures of all those present, apparently because my people are weak for wanting to avoid genocide, and because I just so happen to be a woman who is oh-so-clearly not capable of knowing what's best for my people. If I did not know what was best for my people, I wouldn't have created the Kressnian Self Defense Force and sought to bring our navy up to at least one-hundred thousand ships. But that doesn't mean I like it. Lord B'alam, when you and I spoke to Emperor Alexei to come to a settlement after the Martian conflict just a few days ago, you actually joined me in averting a war that could have killed millions. Possibly even more. At that point I thought I had seen just the faintest glimmer of compassion in you. And yet here you sit, looking to those assembled and proudly proclaiming that the the Maya don't want peace, and are happy to force the natives to their knees in submission to you... Why? Because of a religious mandate? Because your people are restless? Because it's fun? And why did you even bother with a pretense of peace toward Alexei if you truly don't care about his people? Did you do it out of a sense of pragmatism? Or maybe you did it for me? I don't know the answer to any of those questions, and it doesn't matter to me, because from what I can tell it doesn't matter to you, either."

She turned to Elizabeth next. "And you. You call this summit, invite the natives here, and allow me to allow them to speak, only to turn around and gleefully make a mockery of both the concepts of diplomatic immunity and decorum by threatening their lives, threatening to crush them underfoot, and declaring yourself and the UMS their new gods. Are you an empress with trillions-- probably quadrillions-- of subjects under your command and an obligation to do what's best for them as their leader, or are you a cartoon supervillain who bullies those weaker than you simply because it amuses you to do so? Either way, the arrogance and disrespect you've shown disgusts me. At least the United Terran Alliance might have been able to put up some kind of semblance of a fight against you if war happened, so I can understand feeling superior to that idiot Shore, but this is just too much. The Hungadadians don't even have the ability to try to fight you in space!"

She looked to both of them now: "And here's a question I'd definitely like to know the answer to: If all you care about is might and the ability to use it, then the Kressnians, the Tarakians, Burien... Hell, even the Brotherhood: What makes us weaker nations in the UMS any different from the natives here to you? What makes you consider us your equals, enough that you, Empress Elizabeth, suggested that Kressnia have the honor of safeguarding Orbis III, and after that Admiral nam-Kalzhak graciously offered the suggestion that my nation's navy have the honor of protecting Orbis III and IV? If Kressnia were not in the UMS, or had not been in Alterran territory when we went through the Great Cosmic Punting, would you have considered me an equal to the two of you then? I highly doubt it, as one of you would have likely pounced on my nation simply because we were there, and because of that I'm eternally grateful that the Alterrans found us first. When I signed the UMS Charter, I suppose I severely underestimated the kinds of people I would be calling allies; not on a national level, but an individual one. And that's my failing, mine alone. But I still joined this alliance to make sure my people were safe and could prosper, but that did not include forcefully subjugating those weaker than my nation. And I suppose I believed that maybe, just maybe, on a personal level I could have some new friends, not simply allies. That my people could face this new life without fear looming over them like a spectre, because there were people that they could count on to help them, not out of obligation, but out of a shared bond. A stupid thought, a fanciful thought, but there you are. After all, what do I know about any of you?"

She paused, allowing the silence in the room to ring before continuing.

"And I think the worst part about it is, nothing I've said or will say will change your minds anyway. There's literally no point to my being here and preaching. For all I know, you'll hear what I've said and decide to teach me a lesson by exterminating the people I hold dear, all because I dared to speak to you in this way. Because like I said... What makes my people any different from them?"

Taking a breath, she turned to the Admiral. "I sincerely thank you, Admiral nam-Kalzhak, for holding this summit and allowing us to attend, even if for some of us it was under false pretenses. I hereby excuse myself from this meeting, unless anyone has any objections. Despite my indignation, Kressnia will abide by whatever you all decide to do here. Thank you."

She gave a respectful bow, grabbed the trident that was gifted to her as well as her exosuit's helmet, turned on her heel, and walked out of the forum, into the lobby and back toward her transport, unless of course anyone deigned to stop her or call her back.

Edited by Oncaro
  • Upvote 1

As Danica left the chamber, Go'lonthv heaved a deep sigh.

"Let that be a lesson for you."  He spoke while facing Alexei and slowly turning to address the other Orbis Natives and local powers.

"The one UMS member who actually believes in you...  Leaves in distress.

"But you need not fear.  For the Brotherhood has no malice towards you either."

Go'lonthv rose once again.  He'd heard that many sapients, especially the mammalian ones, seemed to associate height with power and, in truth, his people:  the Mukitan Civilization, held similar views when attempting to deter predators while lacking heavy artillery.

"Friends of the UMS."  He forced the volume to maximum on his audio broadcasting aide.  "Perhaps it is time for us to reconsider our purpose here.  Even if some of us wish to acquire...  Assistants...  From the locals, we should also consider Danica's words.

"For if we are to inspire some sort of acknowledgement from the local creatures capable of language, rudimentary culture, and most certainly of developing various radioactive weaponry, acknowledgement that stems from more than fear or awe, we should acknowledge their limited accomplishments.  We should try to accept that they are at the very least capable of understanding these words and reacting in a manner that can be understood.

"Referring to them as 'plant life,' as if implying that they are sessile, will lead to unpleasantries.  But more importantly it ignores their limited accomplishments as beings capable of some thought.  From our perspective, yes they are quite primitive.  And I for one cannot tolerate any further slaughter of innocents on their part, even if some of our allies here see both butcher and helpless victim as 'plant life.'  The fact that they have built their own nuclear missiles suggests that they are beings capable of understanding atomic physics and rocketry.  You would not expect an inert tree to be able to do the same, would you?

"Some of you have stated that our hope to one day see them civilized and walking among us is foolish.  Well, I must add to Danica's question.  To our fellow UMS allies, what makes the Brotherhood different from the natives?  From our perspective, we do not use our interpretations of culture or technology to segregate sapient life from non-sapient life, but demonstrative rational behavior.  We have encountered many intelligent beings whose technology might not have allowed them to reach their homeworld's moon, but those peoples never displayed the kind of bloodthirst or rash arrogance that we have seen here in Orbis.  They did not irreparably scar their world, nor did they slaughter innocents.  Many of them had the foresight to develop weapons capable of destroying asteroids, but none of them wielded such weapons upon encountering us.  For sapience ought to bring wisdom and reason.  And Wisdom and Reason do not capitulate to fear or ignorance so easily.

"Each of our members has, at times, demonstrated an inclination to utilize reason.  Each of our members has shown that they are capable of not resorting to force to acquire what is necessary.  This very meeting is proof of that.  I admit that I lack Danica's faith in the natives of Orbis...  But I for one will not dismiss their ability to one day uphold rationality.  For the Brotherhood, it is Reason that separates us from beasts, from fauna, from mindless creatures of base passion.  Today, those on Orbis might not display rationality.  I would like to think that those few who are listening here can fully comprehend that which is expected from them, but I will not deter fellow UMS members from doing what they believe must be done.

"I cannot condone exterminating beings with the potential for rationality, but I fully understand if their behavior thus far proves, to our fellow UMS members, that they are unworthy for the chance to slowly develop it.  Still, I must second the Lady's...  Sorrow.  Our gene lines were able to achieve great feats, and the Orbis natives share certain gene lines with some UMS member states.  To completely deny them the chance to achieve those feats...  How is that not a tragedy?"

Go'lonthv bowed at that moment, and slowly, with tentacles and eyestalks drooped, he gradually shuffled towards the exit.  "The Brotherhood reiterates our vote.  The Orbis natives can hardly stand against us, so this blockade is pointless.  We also agree with the current claims to the various worlds as proposed by the good Admiral.  The joint task-force, well, would certainly force the UMS to shoulder the bulk of those responsibilities and is perhaps a terrible idea.  What contributions to such a task force could they give if they cannot even reach the Jovian planets without help?...  Forgive me, for I...  I Need to contact my superiors..."  With that, he left the room, his aides following close behind.

Edited by Shex
  • Upvote 1

"The world is a comedy to those that think; a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

We thank the honorable Pords for holding this summit, and kindly inviting the French To the summit. Her Majesty Empress Solis once again sends her apologizes for missing this summit. We hope to continue our relations with the UMS In a bright regardless of the events that have transgressed so far, and look to a better tommorrow.

We know that many will be happy as soon as we leave. Regardless we hold the UMS in the best of views, and we hope that issues adressed today will help serve the foundation for friendlier relations. We hope our views have been addressed, and looked at, and we encourage all nations present today to strive for a better tommororw.

While we wish to have stayed to hear the remainder of the elegant speeches, I must attend pressing matters regarding French Assets in another system, my thanks to the very helpful delegations and all those who took the time to be Present today. Thank you

The Secretary of State and her staff leave the halls. Commandwr Stalion, set a course for Novus Primius, we have to attend summit with the republic about the current tens rooms. "Yes Madame Secretary"

Edited by Empress Wolf

sig.gif

The esteemed Prince of the Tonina caught Elizabeth's look, and he caught it hard. His grip tightened around his clay cup of nog, as it started to crack.  He, in all honesty, stopped hearing anything anyone had said sometime during Danica's speech. He was looking dead into Elizabeth's eyes, the entire time, glaring, his lips twitching in anger at the sheer gall of the woman.. As the assorted delegates began to leave the halls, the sound of shattering clay and spilling nog echoed through the chamber.

Once again, B'alam had his own blood on his hands at a Pordish summit. This time, however, he was too irked to bother killing his hand with the cold to stop the bleeding. Luckily, the Clay vessel did not do as much damage as the glass of the prior summit. His body shuddered with rage, as he cracked his neck and closed his eyes, trying to calm down. "Those eyes." He said as he opened his own, his gaze right upon Elizabeth. "You.." He turned to Danica to address her as she left. "Your people are weak, because they resorted to genocide instead of fighting. You are a naive, confused, woman. But.." Now his gaze shifted back to Elizabeth. "At least you are a woman. This... Creature-" he viciously remarked, looking the empress up and down. "Is it even a person?"

B'alam made a loud scoff before standing up, his hand still leaking blood. "'Plant life?' The only plants I see are the esteemed warrior of the Mri." He said, motioning to the Mri delegation. "Are you looking down on your betters?" He inquired, sharply, cocking his head slightly to the side. "That's right, your-bet-ters." He continued, clearly enunciating every word. "What right do you have to look down on the likes of Chernigov?" He said, smiling lightly, before his face turned back to one of disgust. "I have read up on the History of the UMS members you Witch! Before the Alterrans, and others, uplifted your people like the charity case they are, the only thing you had that Chernigov lacked were numbers!" He said, chuckling audibly. "Three "founders" of the UMS, as far as the Maya are concerned only the Alterra and Nalydya are founders!.. What are you?" He said, now pacing back and forth. "I do not know of this 'cartoon villain' cultural reference, the closest thing we Maya have to describe what you are is 'insane dog'!"

He took in a deep breath, and exhaled just as deeply. "Your arrogance knows no bounds! These creatures bow to you, as if you were a god? Danica brought up a good point, about how we would view others in the UMS without the ties. And you, you would be a lucky fool! What have your people ever accomplished on their own!? What feats of technological, or martial prowess? THERE ARE NONE!.. Know your place before telling others theirs! You trash, animal in human skin!" And with that, he once again sat. Unable to reply to the Brotherhood, whose words did not even register as the anger was stewing. "And one more thing! Watch where you lay your revolting eyes, before someone takes them from you." At this moment he fell silent, but only for a moment. "Actually, my final word, is that even that fool Alexei is a better leader than you! If it were not for Alterran Charity, he would be Your Better too."

• Upvote 1

*In meeting*

Cenna had been sitting and listening for some time. He sat in his chair listening, taking mental notes. He became stunned when he realized Alexei had seen the same as him with Zafri zackery's passing. After hearing all the disgraceful name calling and bullying Cenna stood up his eyes having been glowing red since the first words were spoken. He stood up giving a look to the Triskeli Empress and then To Balaam. He then gave a look around the room and spoke. " The utter disgrace portrayed in this summit has brought to my attention that nothing will change in my favor so if you'll excuse me. He then continues out the room and enters the lobby. As gracefully as he entered he held his head high and shielded both himself and Hishimyo then simultaneously they drop their coats and walk out the door of the building.

Edited by Cenna

The Caledonian Empire--In Space

Danica had stopped after hearing the clay cup shatter, but she didn't turn around as B'alam spoke to her; to acknowledge him would just make her angrier. She stayed put, only turning around as Go'lonthv spoke; looking to him, she frowned a bit, and decided that if such an issue became up again, she or a representative would be better served following the Mukitan's example and appealing to the idea of reason and wisdom being a reason for respecting the locals, not simply the idea of morals. She stepped aside for him and his aides, giving him a respectful nod, and then looked to the French apologetically as they left, trying to convey that she did her best.

Then she looked back to B'alam as he launched into his tirade, and her face showed confusion. This man was... hard for her to pin down. One moment he was calling her weak and naïve (the second one being something she would not deny, as that would be stupid), the next he was using one of her points to make his own. One moment he was saying the natives were no better than beasts who needed a good beating to learn how to behave together, the next he was blowing up at Elizabeth for her arrogance in declaring them beneath her.

What is your deal...? she thought to herself in regard to B'alam. The only word she could think of was "honor", but that didn't help, as the Toninan concept of honor was rather different from the Kressnian one. She just shook her head in amazement, watching him go off on Elizabeth, and secretly wished that she had the military weight to be able to do such things herself, at least sometimes. It certainly looked cathartic.

Still, though, it looked like the UMS was headed, again, toward some sort of civil war (if it could even be called such a thing), and once more she sincerely wished the Alterrans were here to play peacemaker. Because she certainly didn't seem up to the test.

Heaving a great sigh, she let Emperor Cenna pass her out, and she rubbed her face a bit with a hand, setting her exosuit helmet down momentarily to do so.

"Please..." she called out, walking back to them, and for the first time in a long time, her voice sounded truly tired. "... As hypocritical as it is of me to say this, as I just ranted at both of you, which was wrong for me to do and I sincerely apologize to you and to our host for my own lack of tact... Can we please let cooler heads try to prevail here? Please, I'm... I am at the end of my rope here. I don't know precisely what has kept the UMS together for this long, so different are we all, but... I may be zero for two at keeping peace when we get together, but... dammit, it would be wrong for me to just leave and let you or your nations rip each other's throats out over... over arrogance and name-calling."

She sat back down in her chair, almost slumping as the pressure of all this showed on her face... but her eyes, her eyes remained firm as she sat up straight. She looked to the Chernigovians and Hungadadians.

"Emperor Alexei and... Forgive me, sir, but I do not know your name... If you wish to leave this summit, I wouldn't blame you. You were lied to and talked down upon, which were severe, inexcusable breaches of diplomatic protocol, and on behalf of the entire UMS I apologize. But I ask that you not let your anger at insults lead to... Foolishness, I suppose. What you ultimately do is up to you."

She turned back to B'alam, and nam-Kalzhak, and asked a simple question.

"Why did our nations, who are as radically different as our representatives, create the Union of Multiversal States in the first place? Aren't we... aren't we supposed to be sharers of a mutual bond? Instead all I've seen, and taken part in, are anger and insults. This... This isn't how we're supposed to be, is it? Because I feel like it's supposed to be different. I'm not talking out of optimism, but rather... just a sense of pragmatism. What is the point of this alliance if we just go at each other whenever we get together?"

Edited by Oncaro

A Spanish Philosopher

And there it is. One representative speaking after another in rapid succession: a barrage of insults and sewage so far beneath the likes of civilized star-states that it nearly defies reason. This summit, it would seem, is over. Constructive discourse has reached its end and there is nothing more to be gleaned from remaining here. Already observers are leaving and if nam-Kalzhak was not hosting, he too would be heading for the exit. But, alas, he cannot. He shakes his head and takes a long drink from his jug and reaches the bottom; an attendant refills it to its brim with frothy drink and he thanks them for the effort.

And yet... He does find himself agreeing with B'alam on some points; the natives really ought not be brought up to the level of the other powers present within the UMS. Nalydya has been very generous with technology and weaponry in the past, but the bulk of technological development should still be done within the borders of a nation. It would be insulting to go against the natural order; a glacier rat has no more business with a rift gate than nations who find it difficult to protect themselves from the elements. The Brotherhood commentary is woefully misguided. It is not the job of the UMS to police the multiverse and help the poor and downtrodden. Danica's direct questioning, though, perturbs his line of thought and he takes a moment to process all of what she has asked. He takes another drink from his jug. 

Supreme Leader Danica, the Admiral begins, all of our nations here are allies because we recognize the dangers of this vast multiverse. I fought against the Barlat Concordiat. I know what it is like to stare down millions of warships with only a fraction of that under your command. He stops for a moment to collect his thoughts. 

Nalydya once warred with the Union of Leftist Nations. We won. Nalydya once threatened the faction of OMNA. They backed down. Half of Nalydya's core planets are trophies from various conflicts... Some of their original owners no longer exist. Iqoon now has only one moon because of a mere warning. Again he stops.

These are not the sort of nations and organizations we have banded together to combat. No, we are here because of states like Ish'Cong, Kira's Kingdom, the Housemates, NFPA, Rhamos, Serdaristan. We are here because SIM has existed since time immemorial and because American blazar batteries rival supernovae. Because even the GRA can rend space and time, and Laptev shunts entire star systems through the void. Once more he stops.

There will always be powerful threats. We are here to provide a base from which to combat them. But I digress - we have moved off topic.

nam-Kalzhak nods to the scribe who moves the scroll just enough to reveal the voting previously completed. He realizes he hasn't really addressed most of Danica's concerns, but oh well. Internal tensions aren't going to be resolved here. For a brief moment, he chuckles. Perhaps on the battlefield, he considers.

It appears that Kressnia, Nalydya, the Brotherhood, and Triskel have voted in favour of the current set up. Tonina has voted against it, he declares. I believe this means that the current resolution has more than passed, he says.

Roleplay Nations:

Imperial Nalydya

Kingdom of Waikahla-Pohaku'ula

"Your fiction is much greater than our own... We will, of course, defer to your judgement on all things that don't exist."

Seeker Delegation

The grand seeker frowned beneath her mask. The fools were using their powers in her presence. Without a word her two disciples circled the room and engulfed the entire room in an anti-force bubble. The force is pushed out of the area entirely and those who are attuned to it, can no longer feel it. The Grand Seeker speaks, "I said no profane acts here. I have seen and heard enough from the UMS and the natives of this primitive 'verse. Both are tainted with unholiness, but those acts are expected in uncivilized parts of the multiverse. I do have authority to speak for the Mri Empire in these hearings. Regardless of the decisions made by the UMS or the opinions formed by the native factions, the Mri Empire's interests in the PW-1 universe are as they always are in a new universe. Seek out and destroy the Naxids before they threaten the Universe. We will be making our expedition to their galaxy soon. Additionally, convert the unbelievers to follow in the light of Nika or feel her fury. A last and most crucial of our goals is the construction and emplacement of DSD emitters in weak portions of the 'verse. We cannot allow the Darkness any more universes for harvest. Additionally, we do lay full claim to the inner three bodies of the Orbis System as well as the star systems of the Small Magellanic cloud, the region of the Milky Way we call the Dark Nebula, and the Star Systems of the Andromeda and Sunflower galaxies due to their inevitable Naxid infestations."

She turned directly towards the Pord, "I do believe the Pords are the only nation here, aside from the natives, that the Mri have not faced in battle directly or one of their predecessors. Many of these nations spawned out of the Alterran Federation. The Mri and Alterra have fought many wars, be it Alterra directly or one of their proxies. Danica, is right to feel neglected by the UMS, for we see in her the spark of a pre-entity. She has some passage of time left before she collects enough of her former self before she can truly see the glory that is within her, but should she meet with the right people, she will ascend into her power."

Lastly, she turns her gaze to the assembled UMS and Native Faction ambassadors remaining, "All we ask of everyone here is quite simple. Do not provoke the Mri Empire.If you wish to do so, you will face certain destruction. The first, and only Great Mri War was waged hundreds of years ago, by half a dozen factions with two dozen empires between them. Even the Mri's own vassal abandoned them in this hour and the Mri held their ground. Not only outright defeating two factions and several empires arrayed against them, but the resulting peace was seen as a draw by all the multiverse. To this day, we hold our prizes from that war, our own capital is on such a prize. You would call her Sol IV or Orbis IV, we have called her Nika for the last five hundred years. Our war prizes remind us of where we came from and what the future may hold for us and our own vassal races. This is the first and last warning you will receive from the Mri Empire before you are attacked. Do not provoke us."

With that she yielded the floor and continued to eye the known malcontents. She almost dared them to speak out against the Mri Empire claims.

Federal Monarchy of Kesrith

"May Nika's light show you the path" - Queen Ariel I to Queen Lexa I, dying words

Lithim listened quietly to all that was said, and took note that internal division within the ranks of the UMS was seemingly stronger than previously thought back on Neustria. The argument made by the Triskelli Empress he thought to be superfluous; even the very gods themselves bleed. As he pondered how such an petulant child could head a great state he took in the heart of B'alam's reply, and found nothing to disagree with in the notion that Chernigov could surpass the Triskelli Realm if she were uplifted by any of the great multiversal powers. Though the notion that the Alterrans were such a thing once would strike Lithim as odd; Frankian archives generally regarded the Alterrans as being superb diplomats who were more inclined to having the worlds of their allies burn than actually entering the fray. Of course, the Archives that remained from the time of FB-1 were horribly skewed in favor of the Laptevist viewpoint and he felt that he would have to inquire  if subsequent revisions could be made now that Laptev was nothing more than a distant memory. 

Lithim gathered his thoughts as he rose; clearing his throat with a guttural claargh., Lithim then spake these words in the King's Frankian which, though the official dialect, was not spoken by the majority of the Realm as a whole. 

If such a task-force were created Frankia would be willing to join, even though at present she is not a member of the UMS or has interest in the affairs revolving around Orbis IV. Gerwannia and Aralia serve us well at present, but we have eyed further territorial acquisitions that Neustria feels that she shall successfully colonize or seize control of by Atkane's decree. 

He cast a sharp glance at the natives who remained and then spake these words. 

I wish to make clear that Frankia is willing to share technology that is beneficial to your internal development, but she will not share technology that will lead to your destruction. It is not in my uncle's interest that we should gift you a Pandora's box that your societies are not possibly ready for; my own knew much strife and dislocation because we rose too rapidly in our level of technology out of military necessity. I will give you this advice; know that there is no shame in bending the knee, for a nation that bends the knee at present can swiftly rise again. Frankia was but a displaced race travelling the stars when she found it necessary to bend the knee to Discworld; she then rose  in time to become an Empire in her own right and a member of a great faction known as Laptev. 

The Prince then cocked his head to nam-Kalzhak, clicked his heels, and slammed a fist to his breastplate. The Frankians that had remained seat rose and repeated their Prince's salute to their host. 

It has been an honor and a privilege, Admiral nam-Kalzhak. 

With that the Frankians quickly filed out of the Summit to board a shuttle bound for Samarkand. 

Edited by Frankia

"Soldiers, exactly at three o'clock, the enemy is to be crushed by your fierce charge, destroyed by your grenadesand bayonets. The honor of Belgrade, our capital, must not be stained. Soldiers! Heroes! The supreme command has erased our regiment from its records. Our regiment has been sacrificed for the honor of Belgrade and the Fatherland. Therefore, you no longer need to worry about your lives: they no longer exist. So, forward to glory! For the King and the Fatherland! Long live the King, Long live Belgrade!"
-
Major Gavrilović

Before he could re-enter the chamber, Go'lonthv overheard the Mri Speaker's warning.  His report was swift, as the passage of the resolution seemed imminent.  The Mri's response did noting to allay his concerns.

I should have left someone to observe the proceedings.  How foolish of me.  He thought to himself.  There seems to have been more that was said between these honored delegates. 

The Frankian delegation suddenly exited, and Go'lonthv made a point to bow respectfully as they passed.  His remaining aides (most of whom had returned to the transport as they expected the meeting to end shortly) filed in with him.

There seemed to be a sobering silence as he entered, and his eyes scanned the room.  Judging by the expressions he could discern, perhaps the report was not at all inaccurate.

He did not add anything else to the conversation, however, opting to hear whether any more matters of importance would be discussed.

At the very least, perhaps it would show that the Brotherhood would not disregard its allies so easily?