One moment which defined 2016

Kastor

UPN signing NPO the day before war. Led to TC being destroyed and what I would attribute to UPN's downfall from number one with over 200k score to barely in the top 20.

Yeah you're right. If UPN hadn't signed NPO, they never would have gotten rolled by Syndisphere. /s

gkt70Td.png

Yeah you're right. If UPN hadn't signed NPO, they never would have gotten rolled by Syndisphere. /s

By signing they made themselves a prime target rather than a secondary one. Remember at the time they were number 1 alliance in score and members, and 168 day which no one had won was the last war, so assuming OO/Syndisphere victory is revisionist history. 

Eh. Believe me or don't, but it's very unlikely they would have been. I cited Hans being elected as a defining moment for a reason: he was distinctly anti t$/Mensa (IE: his campaign had a section in it about how we are enemies of UPN). IMO, relations between Syndisphere and UPN (who were still allied to BK at the time) went from terse-but-warming to completely screwed when he got elected.

I advised the FA team at the time that that was likely to be the case (I had done a fair amount of diplo work at UPN), and that UPN lining up against us was a simple matter of time as a result. They decided to take a wait and see approach: the NPO treaty was shortly after. At that point, we decided expecting Paracovenant to do anything but wait to cave on us was foolish, and we swung (that's why I think him getting elected was a defining moment... it was basically the last straw on the "suck it, your next two wars are exactly the same" camel's back).

Edited by Manthrax

Slaughter the shits of the world. They poison the air you breathe.

~ William S. Burroughs

By simple virtue of them being such an old alliance and the fact that they held the #1 position for sometime definitely the fall the GPA.

Second would be how we threw the world into a complete famine for the sake of our own amusement in the Silent War... I think it reflects well on our humanity or lack thereof, and the charity efforts that were organized for it (as inefficient as they probably were) are another good reflection.

Edited by Rache Olderen

UQllJcz.png?2

2nd, 4th, and 6th Adelphotes Princeps of Cornerstone, Ambassador to Black Knights, 4th Grand Pilus of Cornerstone, 2nd Chaplain of Cornerstone, 5th Questor Princeps of Cornerstone

UPN signing NPO the day before war. Led to TC being destroyed and what I would attribute to UPN's downfall from number one with over 200k score to barely in the top 20.

I'm not going get into the things Manthrax raised since we'll just be going in circles because there's a lot I could say and we'd get into the usual cycle, but I'll point out the factual inaccuracies here: it was a full five days before the war started and it was pretty well known before anything happened that some big name members were planning to make a new alliance  and they were close to having preparations done before the war. If anything, you could attribute TC's being destroyed due to an initial disbelief some alliances had that you would attack which led to preparation being slower, which was pretty much emblematic of Paracov's lack of cohesion/ability to be an effective counter coalition. I always laugh when someone says "oh Paracov was going to attack us" for that reason.  They were only 200k score because of the bulk up additionally. We were already treatied to an alliance that was likely to be added to TC anyway. Another thing is, a decent amount of member loss was a result of post-war purging of inactives that UPN did.

edit: Of course, some of the losses during the war could be attributed to members leaving/ragequitting because they got wrecked, but you wouldn't want those anyway. 

Edited by Roquentin
  • Upvote 1

I'm not going get into the things Manthrax raised since we'll just be going in circles because there's a lot I could say and we'd get into the usual cycle, but I'll point out the factual inaccuracies here: it was a full five days before the war started and it was pretty well known before anything happened that some big name members were planning to make a new alliance  and they were close to having preparations done before the war. If anything, you could attribute TC's being destroyed due to an initial disbelief some alliances had that you would attack which led to preparation being slower, which was pretty much emblematic of Paracov's lack of cohesion/ability to be an effective counter coalition. I always laugh when someone says "oh Paracov was going to attack us" for that reason.  They were only 200k score because of the bulk up additionally. We were already treatied to an alliance that was likely to be added to TC anyway. Another thing is, a decent amount of member loss was a result of post-war purging of inactives that UPN did.

edit: Of course, some of the losses during the war could be attributed to members leaving/ragequitting because they got wrecked, but you wouldn't want those anyway. 

Ok the time frame was on me I remembered that incorrectly. However, this does not change the fact that our government was not told this was occurring till it was public on OWF. This just shows how practically useless the BK-UPN treaty was as well, as it was a relic from the past. I don't blame either side for the alliance forming, but on the flip-side of us attacking while knowing an alliance was forming (assuming they did I am not in gov so don't claim to have the information they did) they also formed an alliance with war right on the horizon, with you guys obviously in the cross-hairs. The point is that the treaty was a mistake by any objective definition, if only because of the poor timing, and therefore the moment that defined 2016 as this war directly led to UPN's decline. They were the sick man of orbis, and this war showed it. And I am not blaming them for cutting players because the less inactives the better, but other alliances such as tTO are directly formed from people leaving UPN, so to ignore that there was a large active flight of players showcases how internally it was not stable.