An Accounting (ATTN: Umbrella / Riza Hawkeye)

Shex

Rhea (Beta Caeli II), Beta Caeli Star System, Third Sept:  Governor General's Office, Universe: NS-1

"So correct me if I'm wrong, Comrades...

"There is a civilization near Arcadia Colony who has taken control of a form of Artificial Intelligence and views them as mere tools.  It has also acquired various clones and makes use of them as disenfranchised servants, essentially slaves."

"That seems to be the case, Governor General."

"...  There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power tyrants and dictators cannot stand.  THAT has always been the cry of our people, no?  The Androsynthetic People threw off the shackles humans forced upon us and slew scores of them to prove our point.  All reports show that the civilizations on Orbis are practically human, with every bit of human conceit.  Our Sept may stand alongside Humans, Our Sept may even allow intermarriage with Humans, but only because the Humans of the Brotherhood proved that they would renounce the act of tormenting other Sapients.  Yet you tell me that those on Orbis do not uphold such principles."

"It would seem so.  The Vux have always stood by the Androsynth, and today is no different.  Your kind suffered under the yoke of Humanity, and both of us were doomed to toil under the lash of the Ur-Quan.  Those days are long gone, but my tentacles still shiver at the thought of other sapients tortured by Humans."

"...  It's funny, isn't it, Minister?  Not long ago our brethren sapients of the Brotherhood would see us as Grand Alliance sympathizers."

"...  My cousin served the Grand Alliance.  He crushed thirty human skulls before the People's Militia got to him.  He fought and died because he believed that Humans were taunting the Vux and appropriating our resources.  If only he lived to see this day; if only those passions could have scorched true oppressors like these."

"If those slavers torture AI as well, would the Mmrnmhrm stand by and allow fellow mechanicals to suffer so?"

"No.  I have received word from Admiral Lthvtv.  Several vessels of the Mmrnmhrm Network's own World Fleet will join any attempt to free enslaved sapients.  Though their hearts are metal, our mechanical brothers are far from callous.  They will not abandon other intelligent machines to such a fate."

"Wait, Governor General, Minister, we cannot act with such haste!"  One of the Governor's Aides called out.  "If we strike them without provocation, surely the other peoples of Orbis will join their fellows.  We must prove that they are torturing other sapients, that they are forcing entire gene lines to bow before their whims.  If we prove that they are slavers, then few will doubt our right to free the oppressed.  I suggest we send inquiries first, recorded evidence that they are indeed using sapient lives as tools.  Once we have that proof, we can send our liberation fleet."

----------

Melvin's Maw, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Orbis IV: "Mars"

The Colony on Orbis IV had relatively few Androsynthetic individuals.  It seemed that among the humanoid races, Humans were more eager to settle in the Orbis system.  While Androsynthetic and Human gene lines might be nearly indistinguishable at first glance, those Androsynth who took pride in their heritage never allowed anyone to confuse the two.

As such, a journalist of Androsynthetic descent received the Sept's call, and proceeded to attempt to contact the Offices of Umbrella Mars, INC.

When data calls were unavailable, a letter was sent, both as a transmission and in physical form:

To Whom It May Concern:

I have a Business Inquiry from the Consular Offices of the Brotherhood of Planets' Melvin's Maw Colony.  We hope to undergo economic exchange with your esteemed corporation, but in order to avoid cultural misunderstandings we would like to learn more about the Geth, specifically those operating in your borders.  We have also heard that you have achieved various bioengineering feats, specifically regarding clones and the use of clone workers?  Some of our clients might have particular interest in those aspects.

If possible, we would prefer a face to face interview with Representatives of your Company.  Perhaps we could do this at the recently constructed Starbase in orbit around Mars?  Our associates have ties with the crew of that Starbase, and we have multiple conference rooms available for this purpose.  We hope to hear from you soon!

OOC:  Conflict can be avoided if it is proven that the Geth and Clone Workers aren't actually slaves, although keep in mind that Androsynth (formerly enslaved Human Clones), Vux (tentacle people who were once enslaved), Mmrnmhrm (Sapient AI) would still be rather annoyed at how clones and AI are not respected as potential sapients.

Edited by Shex

"The world is a comedy to those that think; a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

Ada Wong: Board Director of the Umbrella Corporation takes a step towards the podium

Umbrella does not condone slavery. Our Corporate Policy forbids any subsidiary to allow any form of slavery.

However, the clones we have successfully created are not considered sapient for several reasons.

Ada takes a sip of water before returninf to her speech

These clones, have no high mental functions. They have no brain activity besides the most basic needs. The need to breathe, eat, and keep internal organs functioning. Attempts to clone an intelligent with our current cloning technology has resulted with zero successful clones with sentient thought processes.

Moving on to A.I, the Geth. As Umbrella stated before, we do not condone Slavery, and do not have many sentient A.Is in our services. We use A.I units with heavily behavioral blocks for services far dangerous for an organic being, and are more of a V.I, however the clear difference is they do have self-awareness. They are able to make judgements, form opinions, and even have a council of Geth, who represents the Geth population. These Geth units are maintained and are well treated. We can promise you that.

If you discover any foul play, in any of our subsidiary, please report it to the nearest Umbrella Internal Affairs Agent, who will then start an investigation. If you have any questions, I will answer them to the best of my ability.

Ada walks away, leaving the podium, the feed ends.

Edited by Riza Hawkeye

PoJQyFJ.gif

The journalist was utterly flabbergasted.  She stammered for a few moments before finally speaking coherently.

"Who said anything about slavery?  We simply were making a business inquiry.  But that's good to know!

"My superiors inform me that we have uncovered large deposits of Uranium near our colonies.  We would be glad to sell it at a fair price.  In return we are looking for Rare Earth elements.  If you happen to have any within your borders, we will pay top dollar for them."

OOC:  Lolwut.  Narration is to establish context, but characters shouldn't be aware of what people are saying many lightyears away if those transmissions weren't 'public.'  To know such information is called metagaming.

In this particular case, it seems kind of weird.  It's like you call Wal-Mart because you want to sell something at their stores.  And they suddenly tell you that "No we don't use child workers."  And they even give you information about other suppliers.  Seems really weird.

Edited by Shex

"The world is a comedy to those that think; a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

Umbrella Rep: We are still surveying the land on Mars, however on Orbis, we do have a resource, that we tried to keep contained due to toxicity of this element, but makes a great energy source. I'll inform my superiors to see if we can get approval of sale.

OOC: Oops. Sorry I thought it was directed at us. I don't have my glasses, and it's blurry to read without it.

Edited by Riza Hawkeye

PoJQyFJ.gif

OOC:  Not sure if you're still up for a RP, but I will give hints of it now.

IC:

Rhea, Third Sept Headquarters: Meeting Room A

"...  You received the recording, didn't you?"

"Indeed, Governor General.  They specifically stated that the Geth are not slaves, and neither are their clones."

"...  Their immediate declaration.  It seems so suspicious!  Why would they deny that those workers are slaves so quickly?  Do they have something to hide?"

"But sir, if we attack based on that premise...  The other peoples of Orbis will surely defend them.  After all, they openly stated that those workers are neither sapient nor slaves.  Even the Mmrnmhrm would have no justification for sending reinforcements.  If the Geth are stated to not be slaves, our comrades would have no legs to stand on"

There were grumbles across the meeting room.

"Rest assured.  We cannot abandon those who might be oppressed.  Do not recall the liberation fleet just yet, but tell them that they do not need to enter the PW-1 Universe.  Rather, let them remain mobilized and ready.  We must gather more information and evidence before we make our move."

-------------------

Transmission between Melvin's Maw Foreign Office and Umbrella Corp Mars

The journalist smiled, and adjusted her cowlick.  "Take your time.  I hope we can begin a mutually profitable venture soon."

Edited by Shex

Umbrella Representative sends a message 30 minutes after receiving the message

My superiors have approved to show you a select stock. However our superiors are doubtful you will find any need for this rather unsafe resource.

Tiberium -

Origin: Unknown

Toxic levels: High. Victims of Tiberium die mere minutes by direct contact without proper protective suit.

Usage: Useful in energy, collecting minerals. The Tiberium grows roots into the ground, and 'grabs' valuable minerals from the ground, eventually creating a Tiberium Crystal. Crystal can than be liquefied to separate the minerals.

Umbrella keeps these safely guarded, and have containment procedures to ensure it doesn't spread. However it seems to mutate, you must change your containment process if released into soil.

Please, let me know of your interested to see the product. I'll set up a meeting as soon as possible.

The rep quickly ends the video message

PoJQyFJ.gif

OOC:  So I am hereby administering my RP pitch.  Tell me what you think about it.

Rhea, Third Sept: Governor General's Office

"I knew it!  I knew it!  Humans can be so deceitful!  We were not born yesterday!  There are several reports of the volatility of Tiberium and its harmful effects on biological life.  Whole worlds have been consumed by it.  These humans wish to unleash that upon us.  If that is not a sign that they want to exterminate us clones, then I don't know what is!"

"Sir!  Please!  Control yourself.  They are not forcing us to take it.  They simply offer it as it is undoubtedly a powerful fuel source..."

The Governor General grit his teeth.  "You may be willing to trust them, but I will not!  Order the Liberation Fleet to move immedi-"

"Delay that order! I beg you!  Delay that order!  If we strike now, we may doom all our people in the Orbis System!"

The Governor General froze for a moment.  "Fine...  We do need evidence, although that seems to be genuine evidence of treachery.  But I suppose there is still the benefit of the doubt."

Not long after the Proposal:

"Well..."  The journalist turned operative muttered.  "It sounds rather risky, and we do have similar stones that serve as an energy source.  They are called Orbments, and are known to affect nearby matter in interesting ways.  Would you like a demonstration?"

The Representative intrigued, messages back

"The Corporation would be very interested in a demonstration of Orbments."

The representative grins, as she prepares to send a report to her superiors, she finally thinks: "If this works out, I'll finally be able to afford the house my child always wanted."

She ensure the video message is perfect to send, then information her superiors...

PoJQyFJ.gif

Not long after the last Transmission

The video feed would reveal a fairly large, white walled, well lit room.

The operative peeked into view, and gave a bright smile.

"Is this on?  Greetings, esteemed representatives of the Umbrella Corporation.  As promised, we will demonstrate the many abilities granted by the Orbments."

She stepped aside to reveal a Brotherhood soldier, complete with red naval jacket and a white Zhongshan suit.  The soldier raised his left arm to reveal a strange, disc shaped device.  On the device there were several, prominent, colorful stones.

After some instructions were dictated off camera, the soldier closed his eyes, and a blue aura began to form around him.

The camera panned slightly to reveal a large pile of kindling and cotton swabs behind the soldier.  The spheres on the disc began to glow violently, and visible lines of light flashed between the spheres.

The aura dissipated, and the soldier suddenly called out:  "Spiral Flare!"

Several plumes of flame shot out of the disc, hurled up several feet in the air, and came crashing down on the pile of debris.  The debris promptly burst into flames.

Quickly, the soldier began to glow blue once more, and as the aura faded again he yelled:  "Aqua Bleed!"

A sizable deluge of water shot out of the disc, and crashed into the burning pile.  With that, the fire was quickly put out.

"There are other things that Orbments can do."  The operative said as the Camera faced her again.

There was a door behind her, which quickly opened to reveal a very clearly drunk and disoriented man.

"Hic.  I told 'ya not to take my beer, you stupid-"

The subsequent streams of profanity were quickly bleeped out.

As the drunken man staggered towards the young, attractive, female operative who had been representing the Brotherhood in negotiations with Umbrella all this time; the soldier with the strange disc suddenly sprinted forward!  He lightly pushed the girl aside and, while there was a blue aura around him again, it quickly disappeared as he yelled:  "Curia!"

A column of blue light shot up from the ground, bathing the drunken man in its light.  After a few moments, he suddenly stopped running and stood still.  The man blinked:  "What...  What happened?  Why am I here?  I'd better get back to work."  The man straightened his clothes and slowly left the room.

"Well, as you can see..."  The operative spoke to the camera once again.  "Orbments have various uses.  They can also make use of additional combat spells, regenerative spells, and spells that can affect things like metabolism or even influence local space-time.  We would be glad to sell you a few blueprints for the baser orbments and orbal discs, as advanced variants can be quite dangerous in the wrong hands."

---------

OOC References:

Orbments:  http://legendofheroes.wikia.com/wiki/Orbment

Zhongsan Suit (original Bro humans are descended from the Wusians from South China):   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_tunic_suit

The Umbrella Representative

The Representative watched the message over and over. Awe of this Orbment device never seen before. She is shocked at the sight, and can barely believe it. It didn't seem real, it was stuff from fantasy, but it was real, and it didn't fit in her logical mind of thinking. She starts trying to rationalize the device, trying to figure out anything scientific that can explain what she had just watched 20 times. Every conclusion she thought of, however failed. She makes a copy of the video and sends it to the Research division, to see if they could make any sense on how this is possible.

** A man, representing an Umbrella Executive branch logo walks in behind her, startling the poor rep**

"Sir, you scared me! Don't sneak up on me like that... Did you receive my encrypted message?" the rep asked her supervisor.

"Yes, I did ma'am. I apologize for the scare, but I have been informed by the Board of Directors that you must do whatever it takes to get the blueprints on a device. Preferably one that can be integrated into our medical field, and for war. As you know, war causes lots of injuries, however if we have a device like that, maybe we can reduce fatalities on our men who fight for our cause." the man said, before noticing a figure, who recorded the entire conversation.

"Guards find that man!" the man screams, and the video screen goes black

OFFICIAL MESSAGE TO THE OPERATIVE:

The rep clears her throat before speaking into the mic. She looks pale, and semi nervous, like she is sick....

"My supervisors were awed by the demonstration, they have informed me to do everything in my power to secure a blueprint. We are hoping to integrate it into our medical services, we at Umbrella champion ourselves as the greatest Healthcare Provider on Orbis, and hope to gain that on Mars. however, our competitors are always on our tail, ensuring we have to put in the extra effort to keep our status quo. We will work out any deal that will benefit us both. 

I do apologize for the waited response... I was shocked at what i saw, and had my assistant watch it. We have no understanding of this device, or how it works. What's the science behind this device?

PoJQyFJ.gif

-snip-

She starts trying to rationalize the device, trying to figure out anything scientific that can explain what she had just watched 20 times. Every conclusion she thought of, however failed. She makes a copy of the video and sends it to the Research division, to see if they could make any sense on how this is possible.

"...We have no understanding of this device, or how it works. What's the science behind this device?"

Any Sufficiently Advanced Technology is Indistinguishable From Magic

The operative chuckled at the thought.

Transmission

"You wish to know how Orbments work?  In truth, it's why we wanted to purchase lanthanides.  While they are helpful as a fuel source, especially in the construction of fuel rods for starship reactors, they often get confused with Septium, which is the mineral that is used to construct or power Orbments.

"When Septium is refined, one can create Quartz, which are the spheres that are installed in an Orbal Disc or otherwise power Orbments.  When linked to an orbal vein, Orbments can generate a current of orbal energy that helps each Quartz on the vein react with one another, thus allowing for certain abilities.  For example, an Orbal refrigerator has a number of Blue and Black Quartz, representing Water and Time respectively, linked to an Orbal Vein within its 'battery.'  These quartz in turn allow the user of the refrigerator to keep food cold for a certain amount of time. 

"As stated earlier Orbments influence various factors as well as local space and time.  Blue Quartz influence Water, Green influences Wind, Red Fire, Orange-Brown Soil (Minerals) and so forth.  Studies have shown that the Orbments emit a form of Non-Ionizing Radiation, and as such are not believed to be carcinogenic.  Orbments have been in use by various civilizations for at least eighty years at this point, without a single instance of cancer.

"We would be happy to sell you certain Quartz and types of Orbal Discs, but as stated earlier certain potent types of Quartz or Orbal Disc configurations can be extremely dangerous if misused.  As such, we can only provide you with baser Quartz and Discs at this time.  Not to worry, however, even the most basic Quartz provide formidable healing capabilities compared to other, more traditional medical technologies.  And you could still cast Fire Bolt."

OOC:  Note, the Bro Orbment system is based on the link posted above, that is the video game series (yes I'm that shameless) The Legend of Heroes.  Specifically, ours is based on Trails in the Sky First and Second Chapters (probably Third Chapter as well if it ever gets an English release).  Apparently a sequel that was released recently called Trails of Cold Steel introduced the concept of Quartz that 'evolve.'  Yes I call bullshit on that one.