A New RP - Discussion Topic

This thread is being created to discuss the option of creating a NEW RP that does not follow the "in-game" nation characteristics of the current National RP forum. This new RP would allow for more creativity and flexibility with how RP works currently and would not take away from the current National RP. I believe that taking the current RP and throwing new rules and changing how things have been working for in-game related RP would be bad news...this option would allow for more people to join and create a story from within this community.

Be Advised: This new RP is not guaranteed as of right now. I am not the creator or owner of this game or forums. The idea is to develop an RP in which I will present to Alex, the game creator and owner in hopes he allows for the community to open this new brand of RP. 

Rules for this thread:

1. You will follow all posted general forum rules. 
  2. Any spam or attempt to derail will be reported and you will be warned.
  3. If you have nothing nice to say, don't post here. 
  4. You will not personally attack anyone in this thread. 
  5. Positive attitudes only.

Lets begin.

What makes a good RP?

To me a good RP is where many people get together to create a world, outside of their own, with the purpose of telling a story and engaging with other entitities in that world. A good RP works where everyone is on the same page, understands the rules and etiquette of the world and contributes positively without causing unneeded drama to the community. 

So, here are my questions:

1. What is the theme of the RP? I understand that most want a galactic/space theme - this is great. I also know that some people want to RP certain eras of RL...this would need to be clarified for the presentation.
  2. What rules would be added/changed/removed?
  3. What is the proper posting etiquette for this type of RP?
  4. What is the clarification of IC and OOC posting?
  5. How would the map look, how would it be managed, who would manage it?
  6. What about this RP would make this community of PW better?

I'm sure I don't need to warn you to not bring speak from other threads into this one. This is a development thread - answer the questions above and add what you think could be beneficial to the presentation. I'll reply when the bulk of you have replied.

• Upvote 1

It was a pleasure serving this community - Stay Frosty!

Forum Rules ☆ Game Rules ☆ Terms of Service ☆ PW Wiki ☆ IRC

What is the theme of the RP? I understand that most want a galactic/space theme - this is great. I also know that some people want to RP certain eras of RL...this would need to be clarified for the presentation.

What about multiple themes based on threads? So if people want a space RP then they can have tags [space] and [Open] if the RP is going to be about space and is open to all players, if the player has [Closed] then obviously that RP is intended for specific players who want to RP a situation; in this case since nations are not based off in-game nation I don't think there is a need to have [Organic] tags or whatnot because it is assumed that all RP there will be organic, but if it was desired one could have an "organic" tag or just mention in the post that the RP would be that way, kind of like here: Here.

So if someone wanted to start a WWII theme RP they can, and they can also make a map and sticky it, and if the RP becomes stagnant (like a month with no new posts) then the sticky map can be un-stickies. that way inactive RPs will flow to the oldest posts and replaced with new, more active RPs.

What rules would be added/changed/removed?

I think the declaration of war rule, consent, should be decided by the creator of the RP. So if I start a WWII RP, and many join, then there will probably be many different WWII threads about the RP relating to events (with WWII tag), but I think the original creator should decide this specific rule.

I think in-game stats (war stats, cities) and events, like alliances (Test, Arrgh, wars) should be absent.

What is the proper posting etiquette for this type of RP?

People should avoid one-line posts, comments on quality of posts, continued and un-necessary OOC, constructive criticism, arguments, in the actual RP post and leave these issues to either a specific OOC thread or Private Messages, to leave the RP threads full of quality posts and not broken up.

Players should at least try to have a paragraph per post.

What is the clarification of IC and OOC posting?

They should be separate from each-other unless absolutely necessary.

How would the map look, how would it be managed, who would manage it?

Whoever creates the RP should decide if there will be a map, if anybody else decides to make a map that is fine (of course they can make maps relevant to their own nation) but it will have to be maintained to be sticky, and they will have to make map according to RP. If a map becomes inactive it will either become un-sticky or be taken up by someone else. Maps will look according to the person who makes it probably but maybe we should have a guide on how to make easy or professional maps like the World Map or Galactic Hex map?

What about this RP would make this community of PW better?

Provides an alternative way to RP, where new players, experienced players, or NatRP players can have a chance to RP on equal ground with risks and rewards that does not affect their in-game nation RP in any way at all. With a focus on quality over quantity hopefully the RP can show others how to improve, provide entertainment to people who love to read and/or participate and also provide a familiar RP style for players coming from other RP games like NS.

Edit: Also it should be noted that people can RP their nation if they choose, if it fits the RP thread theme (No Imperial Japan with Zeros fighting intergalactic Star Cruisers), and as long as they are okay with role-playing with nations who are either: not in-game, not related to in-game stats or military, not apart of NatRP canon. So if Thalmor wants to RP Evenstar in a suitable RP thread then he should be able to but it is not canon with NatRP and is only canon to that specific RP or any sequels of any RP related to the original world created in the first RP. Thalmor could also be Evenstar and be space empire, or Evenstar kingdom in medieval era, it should not matter so long as the nation tech and style matches the era and RP.

ie. If Evenstar Empire medieval and Imperial Calondia are allies then they are not allies in Space RP. Also if nations are allies in NatRP then they are not allies in thread RP, those alliances have to be formed in the RP itself.

Edited by Mayor
  • Upvote 3

I pretty much agree with everything Mayor has said, but I'd like to add something, specifically about IC and OOC separation.

It was mentioned in the previous thread that the concept of IC and OOC threads for a specific RP would be used. But I'd like to expand on that with something from my solo RPing on a Star Wars site: There were (and are still) subforums for canon threads and OOC threads to accompany them, but there were also subforums for "Diverse Roleplay", meaning "anything not related to the timeline of the site or Star Wars itself", basically where all the non-canon stuff went. Now, we likely won't be getting subforums to separate the IC and OOC in new RP, but the concept of separate threads remains.

But here's the important part-- in the Diverse RP subforums, the OOC thread always came first. This was to gauge interest for the RP, as well as give an overview of the setting and scenario, but because all the RPs involved characters, these OOC threads were also where character profiles were submitted. I believe this system would work for what we're talking about here.

So, say I wanted to make a Harry Potter RP set in the present day. I would make the OOC thread first to explain the RP and "House Rules" and how many people I was wanting, produce my own main character profile so everyone knows who I'm playing, then allow anyone interested to submit a character using whatever profile format they wished. Then if someone submitted a character who, say, was Lord Voldemort's secret love child or otherwise had some canon-breaking qualities about them, I'd deny that profile and explain why. Because I tend to take my HP canon very seriously. Once enough people joined and knew the rules, as well as had characters that worked, I would tag the RP thread itself as "THREAD TITLE" [Harry Potter RP] [Closed]

This sort of thing where OOC threads allow for profiles would even extend to Era RPs. Like if I made a medieval version of Kressnia for such an RP I would make a "profile" to explain my nation.

Whew... I hope that was coherent, because it's 6:30 AM and I'm exhausted. I just felt this needed to be said.

Edited by Oncaro
  • Upvote 2

Member of the Union of Multiversal States

"No! I must kill the Karlings" he shouted
The dynasty tree said "No, John. You are the Karlings"
And then John was a cadet branch.

What is the theme of the RP? I understand that most want a galactic/space theme - this is great. I also know that some people want to RP certain eras of RL...this would need to be clarified for the presentation.

The theme of the RP should be left up to the person, so that if you wished to have a space rp, you would put up a tag for it, say (space). Hey, if you even wanted to do a rp based around your favorite Sci-Fi series, you could do it with a tag. Same goes for if you want a medieval rp, or a ww2 based rp.

What rules would be added/changed/removed?

If there were any rules that could be added, they would be the following: 

1. Try to make an OP at least a paragraph long.
  2. With most threads that involve other nations, create an OOC page in the OOC segment which links to the IC thread.​

What is the proper posting etiquette for this type of RP?

First of all, One-Line posts are not permitted unless you can make it descriptive of the action. Second, you MUST keep OOC posts in the OOC segment.

What is the clarification of IC and OOC posting?

Always keep IC and OOC in separate threads.

How would the map look, how would it be managed, who would manage it?

The map would look based upon the rp, so if you were going to do a mars colonization rp, it would be a map of mars, or if it were a fictional world, you would create a new map for it. As for how it would be managed, it should be managed in a way similar to that of the current rp. Now, as for who would manage it, it should be left up to people who are good at making maps (Eva, possibly some of the NS guys, myself, etc etc...)

What about this RP would make this community of PW better?

It would allow for more organization within the community, as well as allowing for people to roleplay better.

Edited by Alexei Lysenko
  • Upvote 4

I'm with Alexei 100% on what he said about what RP is. Though a major theme recently is the Space Idea, for me it's a good idea because we need to have a separation between the two because there is a huge difference between the on ground RP and in the space RP. The 2 are getting to cluttered.

• Upvote 2

Sincerely,

The Red and Blue soldiers of Project Freelancer 

I like where this is going and I do thank you all for being civil with each other. 

I'm not a huge RP'er - so please stick with me. 

From what I'm understanding the new RP wouldn't have a theme, it would just be an RP community that isn't attached to your in-game nation - where it doesn't matter WHAT "world" you're coming from, you're just RPing your story. Am I right?

That being said there would be no "real" reason for a general map because some people might be from different worlds, galaxies, fantasy realms...etc. However, if there was a group that wanted to RP together - they could have their own map on their own and etc?

In addition - with regards to posting. 

[closed]: Means this thread is closed to all, open only for those participating in that RP storyline. 

[open]: Means anyone in the RP community can contribute to the RP. 

[THEME]: Means you're identifying what theme you're playing in.

I am also understanding that there can be a thread that would be paired with the RP thread for all OOC postings?

• Upvote 3

^^ yes to everything you said.

But in regards to OOC/IC I think that would depend on the person starting the RP, they may create an OOC sign up thread or just post something like the Summit RP where players apply by replying to the thread with a flavorful post. So in Summit RP, Mayor, Thalmor etc have "signed up" basically. The OP in that RP stated in the first post in OOC, so I think it could honestly go either way.

I also think a lot of OOC could be done though PM, if someone notices a spelling error, instead of a reply send a PM, do they think something an opposing player said was impolite (ie. treating their nation badly and you feel insluted) work it out in PM rather than in public, that way even without a separate OOC thread the RP thread will have minimal clutter. However having a separate OOC thread is just as good so long as people used it.

Edited by Mayor
  • Upvote 2

^^ yes to everything you said.

But in regards to OOC/IC I think that would depend on the person starting the RP, they may create an OOC sign up thread or just post something like the Summit RP where players apply by replying to the thread with a flavorful post. So in Summit RP, Mayor, Thalmor etc have "signed up" basically. The OP in that RP stated in the first post in OOC, so I think it could honestly go either way.

I also think a lot of OOC could be done though PM, if someone notices a spelling error, instead of a reply send a PM, do they think something an opposing player said was impolite (ie. treating their nation badly and you feel insluted) work it out in PM rather than in public, that way even without a separate OOC thread the RP thread will have minimal clutter. However having a separate OOC thread is just as good so long as people used it.

Right on.

I'm not sure what the Summit RP is? How do people sign up?

Right on.

I'm not sure what the Summit RP is? How do people sign up?

I believe he was referring to the thread I made, "Balkan Summit", wherein I explicitly said in the first post that anyone who wished to join did not have to announce that their nation wished to attend-- I did this for two reasons: First to keep clutter to a minimum, and also because, within the context of the story itself, the invitations for various nations were sent out one week before the summit itself, giving enough time for those nations to send representatives on time.

I still need to post... I swear I will guise pls dont murder me in my sleep.

• Upvote 2

I believe he was referring to the thread I made, "Balkan Summit", wherein I explicitly said in the first post that anyone who wished to join did not have to announce that their nation wished to attend-- I did this for two reasons: First to keep clutter to a minimum, and also because, within the context of the story itself, the invitations for various nations were sent out one week before the summit itself, giving enough time for those nations to send representatives on time.

I still need to post... I swear I will guise pls dont murder me in my sleep.

Alright - so basically in your opening post you put your own "little rules" for the duration of your operating RP.

Alright - so basically in your opening post you put your own "little rules" for the duration of your operating RP.

Correctamundo. For the new RP, however, that would be contained in the relevant OOC thread for a given RP.

• Upvote 2

Correctamundo. For the new RP, however, that would be contained in the relevant OOC thread for a given RP.

Ok. I like it. 

I'd like to inform you all that I got in contact with Alex about the creation of this community. I'll let you know when he gets back to me. For now, keep suggesting some ideas.

• Upvote 1

Where is the part about removing my consent, and allowing people to roll my nation? Or was that hidden to make your new "organic"

RP look nice take your BS else where and your un wanted reforms, honestly hbless you want to really help the RP community you wouldn't be making this your new battlefield, go back to NS or somewhere you can literally have no rules

• Upvote 1

Where is the part about removing my consent, and allowing people to roll my nation? Or was that hidden to make your new "organic"

RP look nice take your BS else where and your un wanted reforms, honestly hbless you want to really help the RP community you wouldn't be making this your new battlefield, go back to NS or somewhere you can literally have no rules

I am strongly against whatever is being pushed here. But of course you. Four won't listen to the Veteran Roleplayers and listen to guys who barely play the game and joined recently. But "Hey let's remove Eva-Beatrice from the NatRP team even though she works her ass off in updating the map for everybody and replace her with some people who have a history of breaking rules (Looking at you Mayor)". If that's your way of making this forum great. Then i think you have another thing coming. Removing Eva-Beatrice is a flatout insult to her work and you should be ashamed of yourself.

• Upvote 1

The rule for both parties to consent in NatRP is not removed. Report any violations and it will be handled.

I am strongly against whatever is being pushed here. But of course you. Four won't listen to the Veteran Roleplayers and listen to guys who barely play the game and joined recently. But "Hey let's remove Eva-Beatrice from the NatRP team even though she works her ass off in updating the map for everybody and replace her with some people who have a history of breaking rules (Looking at you Mayor)". If that's your way of making this forum great. Then i think you have another thing coming. Removing Eva-Beatrice is a flatout insult to her work and you should be ashamed of yourself.

He and the rest of the mod team do listen to veterans, but we can't just take care of the veterans. I personally will listen to any suggestions made, I don't care if they are old or new rpers. This community needs to grow, and it can't if we dont find ways to attract them.

As far as I know, Eva is still in charge of the map, unless I'm mistaken. Nothing is changing on NatRP as of right now. What we are pushing is to create a new subforums separated from NatRP. If it goes as planned, players can still use NatRP and still follow the current rules for NatRP and then if they feel thats too restrictive, hey! theres a subforum that isn't. It'll be Free RP, separate subforums, not connected to NatRP. I am also sadden to see Eva-Beatrice not on the NatRP team, I really am, but things are evolving, and hopefully for the better. Want to be voiced? Suggest it. Don't complain and do nothing. Do something about it. Talk to the team and voice your concerns and give them suggestions. 

Just because you are not on the NatRP team, doesn't mean we don't want your suggestions and etc. We cant do anything if you don't say anything.

• Upvote 5
tumblr_nrkmfbUz9q1uomx7lo1_400.gif

May I suggest a protest vote to have someone on the Team? If the community really all want something shouldn't we listen and work it out? The community is after all held together by community, and if we ignore that, we are only doing harm.

So if the community wants Eva-Beatrice on the team, anyone who wants it so should USE THEIR VOICE and actually say it. If you keep quiet you aren't helping anyone.

(Just a suggestion, dont boot me from anything)

• Upvote 2

IYT09l4.png

Ex-Archduke of Defence for BK

3 minutes ago, Buorhann said:

@Lelouch Vi Britannia - BK needs you, but they really don't deserve you.  Thanks for the dankness.

Honestly it would really help to have Eva on the team, most of the people in NATRP really want her on the team, regardless of the past. She is an amazing asset, has dedicated more than she should to the NATRP. It doesn't seem fair to exclude her, and I am pretty sure a lot of nations in-game and in NATRP want her back, seeing as I can easily think of 12 nations who would want it. I would suggest that Eva is put back on the team. 

At the same time, what Lelouch said, the NATRP team is here for your concerns etc... so let us know :) 

sig.gif

1. You will follow all posted general forum rules. 
  2. Any spam or attempt to derail will be reported and you will be warned.
  3. If you have nothing nice to say, don't post here. 
  4. You will not personally attack anyone in this thread. 
  5. Positive attitudes only.
  • Upvote 4

So I am to add someone to the team solely based off the fact that she wants to be on the team?

Regardless of the fact that there was no followup message to me from her account - no attempt to contact me in rebuttal from Discord or the message system...

In addition - the fact that Eva blatantly stated that she wants absolutely nothing to do with the greater RP Community.

Hey, Four. I'm still interested in being involved on the team. However, I won't be involving myself at all with any new subforum that is created.

This is the message sent to me.

Maybe you guys are missing the concept. 

Eva not being on the RP Team has absolutely NO negative side-effects to what she has been doing for the Nat RP Community. The rebooted RP Team is a mix of players that want a larger future for the RP Community and are willing to work with Alice and I to develop that future. If Eva cannot contribute and be a team member, there is no place for her here on the team, which is why she isn't on the team.

Not sure why that is so hard to understand?

Thank you.

• Upvote 3

Sorry, but I simply don't have the time to read through each post that will be in this new "Free RP" subforum, especially when they're all basically passages out of a novel. I do still run the map, and will continue to do so. It's fine that I'm not on the team. I'll just do all I can for the main NatRP subforum.

• Upvote 2

1288901501_RokkenjimaSignature.png.0d904885417dedabec1671424bcdd01b.png

When the seagulls cried, none were left alive.

"If life is a miracle, then death is a certainty."