[Suggestion] Organic Roleplay Section

Good Evening,

It has been brought to my attention that currently the National Affairs RP section, while equipped with a robust set of rules, does not have what it needs to fully allow players to RP out national interaction(s) on more realistic and organic levels. Pursuant to the establishment of an RP section where it is possible to do this, I propose that an Organic Roleplay subsection be added to the National Affairs forums. This subforums should largely be self-moderated, but players will be encouraged to follow some general guidelines:

Respectable behavior OOC: No deliberate OOC attacks, or excess OOC bickering. This does not include arguments, but does include direct insults or things of that nature.

Respectable behavior IC: Consistency is key within RP. This means that fleets cannot be marshaled overnight, new technologies do not appear out of thin air, and perhaps above all IC precedents should be set for the majority of claims. RP examples, usually post exchanges that are longer than a single post are expected here. Players are encouraged to be able to name and flesh out all of their claims: individuals with star systems should be able to name them and note their characteristics. Claims of relevance should be adequately detailed. For obvious reason, players are not expected to adhere to in-game stats but rather to flesh out their national concepts and expand beyond gameside restrictions.

No Metagaming: IC responses require IC knowledge of events. If an individual writes about a discussion between two characters, this conversation should not be addressed by other people in their own posts unless there is an IC reason for them to do so. This also extends to national interactions: just because nation X is doing action Y, it does not mean that nation Z is necessarily privy to that information. 

No GMing: Godmodding is defined as any action that is done that goes beyond reasonable exception or breaches RP etiquette. Shields are not invincible and armies are not unstoppable.

Reasonable IC progression of events: RPers are encouraged to (as this is the point of the subforums) engage in realistic and organic national roleplay. Should nation X do action Y, nation Z is encouraged and expected to react as realistically as possible for that nation. This should not necessarily require OOC conversation, but as with all RP, OOC discussion can help greatly to clear matters of contention. 

OOC Threads: OOC threads should be created to house OOC discussion of RPs and debate. This is to prevent IC threads from becoming bogged down with excess OOC discussion. Most RPs are encouraged to have an accompanying OOC thread.

Posting Quality: RPers are expected to maintain appropriate levels of post length and quality. This means that post should, at a minimum, be at least on paragraph (for direct, character-to-character interaction), up to many paragraphs for more in-depth happenings. For characters, usage of second or third person is encourage, but not necessarily required.

Example of a quality post (taken from RP Wolves Against the Bear):

Pride and Prejudice
nam-Kyzhaq:

nam-Kyzhaq looks to the Terran delegation. A slight expression of surprise washes over his face for a brief instant before he reins himself in; he considers what they have postulated but does not find himself in agreement. He recalls the days of fighting alongside the Empire of Shay to quell the rebellion on New Skardu. No-one questioned the ethicality of supporting them – it was simply a standard show of support for allies. And he had done well. In the orbitals of New Skardu he had given the Serdari (the protectors of the rebels - and a power in disagreement with his bombardment of the world) a battle for the history books, and to this day his victory is studied in academies across the verse.

Of course he isn’t in any position to question the methods of the Terrans. He understands the complexity of bureaucracies and he knows of the myriad levels of command and control that many such nations have established for themselves. Fortunately Nalydya has gone beyond that. His formation, operating under the direct supervision of VRZ command, is free from the tribulations of a civilian government interfering in the day-to-day operations of a military organization.

Even still he recognizes the merits that such a system has. Pords are cautious by nature and it is thus inherently understood (albeit unwritten) commanders should not put themselves into a situation that might cause an escalation of hostilities between Nalydya and outside powers. He ostensibly is the ultimate decision maker for the 3rd fleet, and is cleared to represent Nalydya on the world stage. Rarely do commanders exercise malprudence to such a degree that Nalydya would be put in danger. Nopord would dare challenge the armadas of Barlat alone; nopord would hazard a contest against the Laptev Axis. But this – this is a minor operation and the adversaries nonentities. It would be insulting to posit nam-Kyzhaq's exertion of final consideration should actually be beyond him. This is what passes through his mind – the simple thought that the Terrans are so encumbered by politics that their officers are incapable of acting on information in the field without deferring the matter to a higher authority. An overgeneralization, perhaps, but nam-Kyzhaq has seen these types before. Where he has moved to save his men and their lives, others have lost theirs waiting for replies and clearance from elsewhere.

But again it might just be borne out of habit that, Nalydian officers - having grown accustomed to such freedom in the field - are so well-conditioned to the vigors of international politics. nam-Kyzhaq knows that where he made his name battles were considerably more difficult. Star-polities were all too apt to unleash blanket FTLi and comms and sensory jamming over entire battlespaces that commanders needed to be able to operate without supervision. But now in this verse, the new home verse for the Pords, such systems seem to be largely absent. He has even been hard pressed to figure out why he should even bother to fight in real space at all, but that is another matter entirely…

I do no portend to speak for your government, he addresses in reply to Collins, however it would be best if you were to join us in this endeavour without such added complications. He stops to mull over what to say next. He chews on the words before they even come out of his mouth, feeling each and considering their weight. You must understand – the Empire, Triskel, does not require your aid. Concerning yourselves with the well-being of those on your planet is liable to cause a much worse situation for them. Our operations here do not concern their safety, and as such interfering with Triskelion operations will serve only to make things worse. He stops to collect his thoughts again before continuing: Oh... And yes, I will get you in contact with my chief tactical adviser. He will have the information you are looking for with regards to the gates and jumping, he tacks onto the end, almost as if an afterthought.

He realized it was blunter than he had intended, but such things happen, and it is oft more troublesome to prevent them than accept with. Since familiarizing himself with the Terrans and how they operate he has developed a peculiar… Set of opinions on them. They aren’t nearly as bad as some nations, Barlat nations, with whom Nalydya has found herself at odds with in the past, but nevertheless certain national opinions and objectives are indeed eerily similar between the ancient races of the Concordiat and the Terrans here. That the Ishii carried themselves in a manner not unlike the Terrans is indeed more disturbing than it rightfully has any business being, but one can hardly blame the Pords for their caution. Myei syn'Ryall and ten million Ishii warships had descended upon the System Yamsai accompanied by a conveniently allied host of Kirans of near equal number to bring war to the capital of the Yamsai’an Hunters. Of course the Pords, and by an extension nam-Kyzhaq, would tend to view such moral crusades with an experienced air of dubiousness; Ish’Cong and Kira’s Kingdom both expostulated superiority from positions atop some self-conceived highground of morality, and along with the GRA, NFPA, the embarrassingly inept JVP, and the entire faction of OMNA, tended to draw the ire of many of the more realistically minded of the star-states.

This is not to say his opinion of them is bad, but rather, it is a mixture of practiced political acumen and what could only pass for… Pity. He shakes his head again as he thinks of the requests made by Collins; again he thinks about the realities of the situation and the relations between Triskel and the Terrans. The meeting had gotten tense rather quickly (that came as a surprise to nopord, all things considered), and it was apparent that no headway was going to be made. On the other hand, it was admirable Collins was able to maintain her composure and present such a counteroffer when surrounded by literally millions of warships of a nation she has only just made first contact with. He recalls the actions of Heinz and von Begin, the great twin admirals of the VRZ, who - during the Great Betrayal - had half a million warships between them (the most powerful fleet ever assembled by Imperial Nalydya) but even still were outnumbered and outgunned hideously by the combined might of the US0A, the Beornician GKLs and the United States. But Heinz and von Begin both were willing to fight to the last man, even against the most powerful defensive network in that universe, and perhaps it was this willingness in the end that proved to save them.

nam-Kyzhaq has no such confidence in the Terrans.

VRZ Blanketglacier, Assault Transport of Zhülnym’s Division
The Yamsai’an Guard

She can hear the familiar thrum of the reactors as they come to life, teeming with the rancid power of the rift as the reactors siphon stored energies out of the power cells and convert the untamed sickly realm into something usable for the ship. It isn’t a perfect process, but it works well enough. The excess is vented out into the void – the reason Nalydian vessels have massive funnels – and thus serves as evidence that Nalydya has not yet perfected the art of using the rift to power her ships. Nevertheless the realm still provides for considerably more power than other means, and Jlokhemitdamn it, the High Hunter’s navy would not be capable of fielding such vessels if not for the realm. Moving the vast bulk of many of the ships in the VRZ would be next to impossible if not for the power of the realm. Most of the veterans remember the earlier days of the VRZ – the HRF, or Hochraumflotte as it was known then – when vessels were required to sail under their own power and had to lug exceedingly large amounts of fuel with them. Nothing moved with any great speed in those days. Even the Kenzhelengrazhni class assault transports, a mere modest seventeen kilometers from stem to stern, would plod along if using the more aged propulsion methods. The most impressive pieces of technology in the VRZ are not her weapons, sensors, or defenses, but rather her propulsion systems.

I will lead the initial breach myself, Tylaq says to the gathered, pointing to her wrist displays, and we will land here. This initial phase will include the landing of a contingent of Paramarine Raiders as well as our underground fighter detachment, which I will oversee the deployment of. These damn lava pools will give us a headache otherwise.

How are we going to deal with these lava pools? asks one of Tylaq’s subordinates, a young brigade commander named Chülyat Kolnav. She stands next to Tylaq, huddled close along with the other brigade commanders - all in a semi-circle around Tylaq.

I expect we will need to maintain our Arrays. Be sure to clarify with your troops that Arrays will need to remain online for the entire duration of our time here. I’ve already spoken with commanders within the Rezhnam formations and they are more than willing to provide us with suitable structures for operations here. This terrain is not going to make things easy.

Chülyat nods and makes a note; her aid takes note of the information as well. I assume we will flatten areas we want to use and move from there, she continues to question.

Tasi. Until we have better information about these lava flows it’s best to stay far from them. The enemy should be taking up residence within the structures of the industrial areas anyway so I don’t think that should be much of an issue.

Chülyat frowns. The thought of dodging lava flows and being forced into the cramped confines of street fighting is not appealing. But then again, the entire planet fails to sound appealing. Alright, she musters, slightly adjusting her rifle, I think I can make do with that.

She bows to the High Hunter and hurriedly retires; Tylaq watches her until she disappears around a corner, undoubtedly returning to her command post.

That is all for now, Tylaq tells the other officers, and they too pay their respects and begin to retire.

I’ve received word from the captain we will be setting sail here soon, Rytek.

Tasi?

Yes – make sure things are in order for the assault. We may need to do this under fire.

Tasi, Rytek replies.

The vessel shudders slightly as it begins to move, edging slowing away from her berth in the DS. The entirety of Zhülnym’s division has begun to move from their positions and are taking up formation some distance away. Gravitic tugs dart this way and that, helping to maneuver the behemoth warships about, and ensuring that the heavy assault transports, pregnant with men and materiel, do not drift into a quay. The shuddering comes to a halt nearly as quickly as it began; the inertial dampeners kick into high gear, masking the acceleration of the vessel away from her berth.

Rytek too is gone, leaving Tylaq to her own devices. With an assault imminent, there are plenty of things that need to be tended to…

She soon finds herself at the Blanketglacier Shrine, the ship’s own place of worship. It is a simple set up (completely unlike the massive shrines on some of the older battlewagons that stretched, literally, for dozens of kilometers), but one that adequately serves the needs of the ship-crew. As an officer of the ZJR, the High Hunter’s army, she does not often have access to such luxuries. Battlefields on far-flung worlds in remote corners of the universe do not often present themselves as great places of worship. Yet paradoxically, as a High Hunter too, she has a greater obligation to Jlokhemit, Rekazhnar, Amaruq and the others than many of the sailors of the VRZ. 

May Jlokhemit protect us, and Rekazhnar guide our spears, she says, removing her water satchels and placing them down alongside the small central sheet fountain. With a bow she pays respects and takes a moment to sit fully, seating herself before the flowing waters and clearing her mind completely… It would seem for a moment that the great tundras of Nalydya have overtaken the floor and the cold and the snow and the ice have taken up residence. His icy splendour blows through, and a flurry of snow cascades down, covering the floor in thin film of snow…

Prepare for rift transit, suddenly the ships PA system blares, we will be transitioning into rift and arriving within vicinity of the target area shortly.

Back to reality.

These are just preliminary suggestions that have been drafted for the establishment of a new RP subforums. 

Any extra input, suggestions, or comments will be greatly appreciated. 
Edited by Schwieger
  • Upvote 4
Roleplay Nations:

Imperial Nalydya

Kingdom of Waikahla-Pohaku'ula

"Your fiction is much greater than our own... We will, of course, defer to your judgement on all things that don't exist."

I agree with this suggestion, having had my own issues with the RP rules in the main section today.

• Upvote 1

<span style='font-size: 18px;'><span style='color: #b22222'><span class='bbc_underline'>"<em class='bbc'>We regret that the size of the multiverse has permitted them to exist for so long unchecked."</em></span></span><br />Remember, <em class='bbc'>I'M </em>the New Douche, not the other 7 New Guys. I'm <em class='bbc'>not</em> a Majority.</span><br />rKC4GSg.gif

i've been a long time RP'er, even though I arrived here at Politics and War very recently.

It's been my experience that a lot of RP'ers, while having a truly strong sense of care and value for their nation, tend to act very negatively when they encounter stronger odds or powerful opposition.  In order to avoid being "defeated," several RP'ers resort to "unveiling incredible superweapons," or ignoring damage / minimizing casualties to bafflingly low levels, or entering into a tirade of hurt feelings and anger because the player interprets the events as humiliation.

But I for one have found that the best RPs, the one that really kept one's interest, the ones that people remember after the fact, were RP's that helped tell a story.  The players involved worked together to describe a great and mighty battle.  Yes, some were defeated, but they died bravely or gloriously or nearly cheated death cleverly or otherwise left countless bards singing ballads of their glory for generations.

The best RPs are stories, stories that will live long after the nations involved die from inactivity.  I've seen some RPs that continue to get referenced in other people signatures or shown proudly as part of one's "credentials."

The "mutual consent" model for RPs is good, but do you know what's better?  Everyone agrees to have no hard feelings.  Everyone agrees that the important part isn't to show off one's uber tech or make oneself look awesome, but to help all players in this RP develop something great.

• Upvote 3

"The world is a comedy to those that think; a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

Yeah, to be quite honest, pretty much everything Shex just said reflects how I was when I first started nation RPing. I started nearly eight years ago, and... My nation would pick fights with much bigger nations and get smacked down repeatedly, and even had my characters killed. I didn't feel it was fair to me and honestly it was very frustrating back then; I do at least remember doing the sort of "tirade" that Shex mentioned.

But each time I tried to fight, I learned, and I got better at defending myself even if I never won; and consequently, the stories those RPs told got better as a result, and I learned that it wasn't always so bad to be the punching bag. I look back on them now with nostalgia. But that's just me.

I know this won't seem like much coming from a guy who just joined, but as much as I feel mutual consent being needed for war is a good thing (seriously, I hated getting attacked without cause, though I did tend to start IC beefs), sometimes people just need to get their nation's butt kicked in order to git gudder. I know I sure did... I don't do much warfare anymore, which is why Kressnia is a nation of people that try to avoid warfare, but I know that you guys could do a heck of a lot more on the storytelling front based on what I've seen. And I think this suggestion and the guidelines for it are a very good idea, if you're willing to use them.

And y'know, it's not even just warfare. I honestly haven't seen a lot in the way of actual character RP, though maybe I just haven't looked hard enough. That's just as important, and these rules can help with that too.

Edited by Oncaro
  • Upvote 2

Member of the Union of Multiversal States

"No! I must kill the Karlings" he shouted
The dynasty tree said "No, John. You are the Karlings"
And then John was a cadet branch.

I agree with the OP, I prefer NationStates style of RP, no need to OOC since everyone is a team and if there is a rogue warmonger then we all take him down together (read: NationStates players did this to me, I was warmonger) :P

Also I don't think rapid colonization or expansion should be encouraged, I think every conquest of territory needs to be forcibly taken from another player, or a VERY long process of staking out a colony, not a new colony every week until there are these super states having all of Asia or something.

Edit:

When I try to war somebody (not in-game raids in Arrgh) but RP wars, I try to have fun, be fair, and have a story. When I invaded communist Japan, was willing to cede half of my territory so he could have Japan as well as me, I originally had Japan but since RP was recreated I lost it, and even though he joined a defense pact and built up forces he got mod to warn me for breaking rules, very disappointing, and in all my years in nationStates (almost a decade) that has never happened to me, generally people are respectful and god modders are quickly kicked.

Edited by Mayor

Well, NationStates has had over a decade to purify and make perfect how they do things (and they've done a great job). Politics and War is only a few years old, and the current state of NatRP - which is even younger of a sub-community - has only been organized in its current form for so many months. While there's plenty of room for improvement within NatRP, I don't see any real need for change from moderation or organization. We already have everything in NatRP that the OP listed, it's just that it's in its infancy and time will have to develop it further- after all, this is a young, small community.

The biggest limiter in how people roleplay here on NatRP - that absolutely nothing can happen without consent - is also its greatest freedom. It means that absolutely anything can happen. If someone is invaded, the defender doesn't have to raise a finger and complain. I'm willing to have 'organic' roleplay, alongside you all: Schwieger, The Sacred Lights, Shex, Oncaro, Mayor, and anybody else interested in taking a few RP hits for the greater good. However, we don't really need to change how everyone roleplays (besides, I don't think anybody likes the idea of having a bunch of really new players come and tell them how they should change their style of roleplay that they've been using for half a year).

• Upvote 2

new_forum_sig_2.png

Respectable behavior OOC: No deliberate OOC attacks, or excess OOC bickering. This does not include arguments, but does include direct insults or things of that nature.
Cough Cough Meonesia ;) 

Respectable behavior IC: Consistency is key within RP. This means that fleets cannot be marshaled overnight, new technologies do not appear out of thin air, and perhaps above all IC precedents should be set for the majority of claims. RP examples, usually post exchanges that are longer than a single post are expected here. Players are encouraged to be able to name and flesh out all of their claims: individuals with star systems should be able to name them and note their characteristics. Claims of relevance should be adequately detailed. For obvious reason, players are not expected to adhere to in-game stats but rather to flesh out their national concepts and expand beyond gameside restrictions.

The reasons we have in-game status is so that ex. Russia can not be able to take over all of Orbis whilst Evenstar can easily take over europe for example. Also for example france has a big GDP we can spend a lot and send out loans whilst Your nation can not do so as much as we can. 

No Metagaming: IC responses require IC knowledge of events. If an individual writes about a discussion between two characters, this conversation should not be addressed by other people in their own posts unless there is an IC reason for them to do so. This also extends to national interactions: just because nation X is doing action Y, it does not mean that nation Z is necessarily privy to that information. 

Maybe if people clarify like why not

No GMing: Godmodding is defined as any action that is done that goes beyond reasonable exception or breaches RP etiquette. Shields are not invincible and armies are not unstoppable.
Cough Cough Repuvlix COUGH #@R@ REPUBLIC (Republic-German War)

Reasonable IC progression of events: RPers are encouraged to (as this is the point of the subforums) engage in realistic and organic national roleplay. Should nation X do action Y, nation Z is encouraged and expected to react as realistically as possible for that nation. This should not necessarily require OOC conversation, but as with all RP, OOC discussion can help greatly to clear matters of contention. 

Actually most people do, except me :P #FrenchFleetin2Days:P, but everyone already do have realistic progression and are very great ex. Meonesia, Sweden, Evenstar, Britannia etc.... 

OOC Threads: OOC threads should be created to house OOC discussion of RPs and debate. This is to prevent IC threads from becoming bogged down with excess OOC discussion. Most RPs are encouraged to have an accompanying OOC thread.
These would literally ruin all RP because it would A take the place of RP posts, it would create a little fight over nothings. 

Posting Quality: RPers are expected to maintain appropriate levels of post length and quality. This means that post should, at a minimum, be at least on paragraph (for direct, character-to-character interaction), up to many paragraphs for more in-depth happenings. For characters, usage of second or third person is encourage, but not necessarily required.

Most initial RP is actually of great Quality, but mostly it falls on deaf ears. Whilst we do actually make some great quality stories and posts. I would love for someone to tell meet make better Rp :P 

Your ideas are great and good no doubt, it isn't fair that someone can say I declare war on france and take their entire land, but its fine with me if ya want to RP, i won't mind working with you. Giving up peoples consent is really gonna make things hectic but most of us do not give a shit if you include our names as long as it is is reasonable.
  • Upvote 1

sig.gif

No Metagaming: IC responses require IC knowledge of events. If an individual writes about a discussion between two characters, this conversation should not be addressed by other people in their own posts unless there is an IC reason for them to do so. This also extends to national interactions: just because nation X is doing action Y, it does not mean that nation Z is necessarily privy to that information. 

Maybe if people clarify like why not
_The reason why not, is that it makes no sense at all. It treats characters like omniscient gods who know exactly when someone whispers about them, despite being 30 miles away.

Metagaming is really, at it's core, a specific form of GM._

OOC Threads: OOC threads should be created to house OOC discussion of RPs and debate. This is to prevent IC threads from becoming bogged down with excess OOC discussion. Most RPs are encouraged to have an accompanying OOC thread.
These would literally ruin all RP because it would A take the place of RP posts, it would create a little fight over nothings. 

_No, what Schweiger means is that every major Thread, (like the Iceland Summit, Russian Civil War, My thread that's now closed due to OOC), would have an OOC thread counterpart.

A good example would be a historical RP I partook in on NationStates, which had a OOC thread (to make land claims, and discuss things OOC), and had another thread for IC posts.

it's to help keep people from having to sort through pages of OOC to find IC content._

Posting Quality: RPers are expected to maintain appropriate levels of post length and quality. This means that post should, at a minimum, be at least on paragraph (for direct, character-to-character interaction), up to many paragraphs for more in-depth happenings. For characters, usage of second or third person is encourage, but not necessarily required.

Your ideas are great and good no doubt, it isn't fair that someone can say I declare war on france and take their entire land, but its fine with me if ya want to RP, i won't mind working with you. Giving up peoples consent is really gonna make things hectic but most of us do not give a shit if you include our names as long as it is is reasonable.

_There's no IC justification to declare war on you at the moment, hence why the IC progression is important.. Which, despite what you think, is rather lacking here from what I've seen._

• Upvote 1

<span style='font-size: 18px;'><span style='color: #b22222'><span class='bbc_underline'>"<em class='bbc'>We regret that the size of the multiverse has permitted them to exist for so long unchecked."</em></span></span><br />Remember, <em class='bbc'>I'M </em>the New Douche, not the other 7 New Guys. I'm <em class='bbc'>not</em> a Majority.</span><br />rKC4GSg.gif

Well, NationStates has had over a decade to purify and make perfect how they do things (and they've done a great job). Politics and War is only a few years old, and the current state of NatRP - which is even younger of a sub-community - has only been organized in its current form for so many months. While there's plenty of room for improvement within NatRP, I don't see any real need for change from moderation or organization. We already have everything in NatRP that the OP listed, it's just that it's in its infancy and time will have to develop it further- after all, this is a young, small community.

The biggest limiter in how people roleplay here on NatRP - that absolutely nothing can happen without consent - is also its greatest freedom. It means that absolutely anything can happen. If someone is invaded, the defender doesn't have to raise a finger and complain. I'm willing to have 'organic' roleplay, alongside you all: Schwieger, The Sacred Lights, Shex, Oncaro, Mayor, and anybody else interested in taking a few RP hits for the greater good. However, we don't really need to change how everyone roleplays (besides, I don't think anybody likes the idea of having a bunch of really new players come and tell them how they should change their style of roleplay that they've been using for half a year).

_I don't know, the only thing that I've seen happen so far is my thread getting shut down because an act of war IC doesn't count as Consent for War OOC since the magic words weren't said. LOL.. It makes no sense IC, if the RP here operated as Schwieger laid out, for me to not be at War right now.

Which is the major reason that this idea is being brought up... When OOC Rules kill IC flow, you're no longer RPing because no Role is being Played.

Considering it's just half a year, there's really no reason to be so upset about it. Especially since we're proposing creating a new subforum. Every single one of us new guys has at least 6 years of RP experience under the belt... Maybe brushing us off for the sake of ego isn't the best path to take. You guys could learn a lot from us._

Edited by The Sacred Lights

_No, what Schweiger means is that every major Thread, (like the Iceland Summit, Russian Civil War, My thread that's now closed due to OOC), would have an OOC thread counterpart.

Your thread got locked due to argument and in-fighting. If you look at posts such as the meonesian civil war or other posts, there are massive OOC Comments but they do not insight fighting. 

sig.gif

Your thread got locked due to argument and in-fighting. If you look at posts such as the meonesian civil war or other posts, there are massive OOC Comments but they do not insight fighting. 

Which was all OOC.

I agree with the OP, I prefer NationStates style of RP, no need to OOC since everyone is a team and if there is a rogue warmonger then we all take him down together (read: NationStates players did this to me, I was warmonger) :P

Also I don't think rapid colonization or expansion should be encouraged, I think every conquest of territory needs to be forcibly taken from another player, or a VERY long process of staking out a colony, not a new colony every week until there are these super states having all of Asia or something.

Edit:

When I try to war somebody (not in-game raids in Arrgh) but RP wars, I try to have fun, be fair, and have a story. When I invaded communist Japan, was willing to cede half of my territory so he could have Japan as well as me, I originally had Japan but since RP was recreated I lost it, and even though he joined a defense pact and built up forces he got mod to warn me for breaking rules, very disappointing, and in all my years in nationStates (almost a decade) that has never happened to me, generally people are respectful and god modders are quickly kicked.

Actually, from what I remember of Nationstates Rp, the OP was good, but the posts to follow were just oneliners.

Now, as for my opinion. I agree with there being no OOC attacks, however that is already not allowed for the most part. As for Interdimensional/Intergalactic nations, I believe there should be a limit on how the tech is used. First of all, you can not say that something is invincible, or that a weapon can destroy literally anything and not be able to be destroyed. Every technology should have some form of weakness, even if it is hard to exploit.

The rules have worked for a long time already, I feel while we have some work to do to fix it, nothing this drastic needs to be done like that *snap of finger*, you have only just arrived here in the NatRP of P&W so I don't even understand how you could come up with this post. As Alexei said "As for Interdimensional/Intergalactic nations, I believe there should be a limit on how the tech is used." I agree 100% on this, considering I personally don't think you have read the rules. Because it seems you have listed somethings already in the rules.

Sincerely,

The Red and Blue soldiers of Project Freelancer 

Actually, from what I remember of Nationstates Rp, the OP was good, but the posts to follow were just oneliners.

Now, as for my opinion. I agree with there being no OOC attacks, however that is already not allowed for the most part. As for Interdimensional/Intergalactic nations, I believe there should be a limit on how the tech is used. First of all, you can not say that something is invincible, or that a weapon can destroy literally anything and not be able to be destroyed. Every technology should have some form of weakness, even if it is hard to exploit.

I agree with this (our RP style isn't exactly NS - it's a blend of styles picked up from multiple different RP forums. We just only happen to be on NS now because the other apps have died.) This of course is where the OOC threads would come into play. If we take Sacred Light's thread, for example, all of the arguments would have taken place there, and perhaps the reasoning behind the shielding systems on the Damocles could have been explained, as well as the level of firepower being directed towards it.

I would tend to agree with Sacred Lights on this one - one year (even two or three years) is (are) not the largest amount of time. We actually understand that this RP forums is in its infancy - that actually was the very first thing that we noticed upon arriving here, and perhaps part of the reason why this thread was drafted. I honestly do no understand why people keep claiming the rules have been in place for "a long time," when even a cursory review of the forums would indicate that this is not the case. But I digress - perhaps our senses of time do not fully mesh.

The rules have worked for a long time already, I feel while we have some work to do to fix it, nothing this drastic needs to be done like that *snap of finger*, you have only just arrived here in the NatRP of P&W so I don't even understand how you could come up with this post. As Alexei said "As for Interdimensional/Intergalactic nations, I believe there should be a limit on how the tech is used." I agree 100% on this, considering I personally don't think you have read the rules. Because it seems you have listed somethings already in the rules.

Alternatively, I could make similar claims - speaking for me only, I not only read the rules, but I spent quite some time reading through numerous RPs (you can call me an RP archaeologist of sorts... I even maintain logs of RPs from previous apps that no longer are around) on this forums. You wonder how this was drafted so quickly? It was from reading the roleplays here and seeing what generally happens on these boards.

Beyond this though, as far as interuniversal nations are concerned, the only issues I have seen with tech have stemmed from those native to PW. Lelouch isn't the only example I've come across - people claiming invincible tech from anime and unstoppable weaponry from movies or media seems to be par the course here. Hell - that's basically what happened in Sacred Light's thread; all else aside, from our point of view it was simply a case of one party ignoring casualties and refusing to take losses (if you wish to get into the details of this, please PM me. I do not want to clutter this thread with debate about that RP).
Edited by Schwieger
  • Upvote 1
Roleplay Nations:

Imperial Nalydya

"Your fiction is much greater than our own... We will, of course, defer to your judgement on all things that don't exist."

-snip-

Scared Lights told me in an OOC PM that he knew what Code Geass was, as well as we do have a thread explaining mine and other people's tech/magic. If Sacred Lights knew what types of tech we had he would know what Damocles is capable of. As well as, since you talk about a realistic progression of events it took nearly 6 rl months to get Damocles working. A very large handful of the proper rpers here have taken a very long time and established their nations and leaders.

My favourite example about how unique we are is the amount of 1 on 1 action we can get if in the right discord room. For example we have had a few leaders sip tea, try and cut the nails of a cat (and fail). We try and make it to a point this is a piece of art we are creating. Person A talks with person B behind doors and their nations do something with one another.

It should also be noted the main conflict of interest is community. Our RP style relies on people to get to know one another and actually plan things out behind closed doors (Noted the Zodiac attack on Chernigov, Britannia getting hit my a magical earthquake, etc)

NationStates is a whole other game, if you would like to turn this forum into that then im sorry you wont get very far. This is because there are different types of ways to rp, some are slow and professional, others fast and fun. You are creating some heated friction because a lot of us have been rping here for a year and created this place together.

Granted we are very small and not as established. But for those rp threads that are just beautiful is the reason why this thread can progress from within. Suttle hints do help, but not shoving it down our throat and saying its good for us.

• Upvote 1

IYT09l4.png

Ex-Archduke of Defence for BK

3 minutes ago, Buorhann said:

@Lelouch Vi Britannia - BK needs you, but they really don't deserve you.  Thanks for the dankness.

Scared Lights told me in an OOC PM that he knew what Code Geass was, as well as we do have a thread explaining mine and other people's tech/magic. If Sacred Lights knew what types of tech we had he would know what Damocles is capable of. As well as, since you talk about a realistic progression of events it took nearly 6 rl months to get Damocles working. A very large handful of the proper rpers here have taken a very long time and established their nations and leaders.

My favourite example about how unique we are is the amount of 1 on 1 action we can get if in the right discord room. For example we have had a few leaders sip tea, try and cut the nails of a cat (and fail). We try and make it to a point this is a piece of art we are creating. Person A talks with person B behind doors and their nations do something with one another.

It should also be noted the main conflict of interest is community. Our RP style relies on people to get to know one another and actually plan things out behind closed doors (Noted the Zodiac attack on Chernigov, Britannia getting hit my a magical earthquake, etc)

NationStates is a whole other game, if you would like to turn this forum into that then im sorry you wont get very far. This is because there are different types of ways to rp, some are slow and professional, others fast and fun. You are creating some heated friction because a lot of us have been rping here for a year and created this place together.

Granted we are very small and not as established. But for those rp threads that are just beautiful is the reason why this thread can progress from within. Suttle hints do help, but not shoving it down our throat and saying its good for us.

This, actually, is the sort of thing I'm talking about. You can take up the details of the tech with Sacred Lights and all that, but me personally - I don't care what it is or how it operates. It is not invincible, and I expect RP to be able to reflect this. To add on to this, if your shield(s) really are powerful then you should take the time in RP to describe just why what it is they're defending is failing against them - because as far as I'm concerned, with the locked RP, I was imaging this massive 90 kilometer wide energy draining beam, which was launched from a multi-hundred kilometer long warship (equipped with requisite power source), crashing into the Damocles and doing... Absolutely nothing for apparently no reason at all. Please imagine what this looks like from our perspective (and yes, this is after familiarizing ourselves with the Damocle's capabilities.)

Of course, we are not trying to jam anything down your throats - this is the reason for the suggestion of a subforums. It would be nice for us to be able to have a place where we can stage demonstrations and have others potentially join us if they are interested in joining this sort of RP. We do tend to take these things seriously (it is national RP, after all - something which implies the existence of stakes), so no hard feelings on our end.

• Upvote 1
Roleplay Nations:

Imperial Nalydya

Of course, we are not trying to jam anything down your throats - this is the reason for the suggestion of a subforums. It would be nice for us to be able to have a place where we can stage demonstrations and have others potentially join us if they are interested in joining this sort of RP. We do tend to take these things seriously (it is national RP, after all - something which implies the existence of stakes), so no hard feelings on our end.

Thats the thing, you can ACTUALLY declare war on people in the rp on the game. Thats where you can lose things. But here, where its only the pen and paper, its nice to not lose anything that you really dont want to. Good rpers will lose and regain, most of us continue to do so.

IYT09l4.png

@Lelouch Vi Britannia - BK needs you, but they really don't deserve you.  Thanks for the dankness.

Thats the thing, you can ACTUALLY declare war on people in the rp on the game. Thats where you can lose things. But here, where its only the pen and paper, its nice to not lose anything that you really dont want to. Good rpers will lose and regain, most of us continue to do so.

Which I suppose is the disconnect...

Because we're RPers. We don't really care about gameside. We already have an established canon, so whatever happens in RP is rule of law.

• Upvote 2
Roleplay Nations:

Imperial Nalydya

Which I suppose is the disconnect...

Because we're RPers. We don't really care about gameside. We already have an established canon, so whatever happens in RP is rule of law.

Basically. The RP is our gameside.

Basically. The RP is our gameside.

Ever come to think thats not what we want? The national affairs rps OUR nations. And since we HAVE nations in the game its a nice balance. This isnt Nationstates where you dont have an actual nation like in here. If you dont like the concept of the RP here and want to make it like NationStates why not go back to nationstates? You are more than welcome to rp here as long as you follow the rules, but not when you want to revamp a system that has been working for us.

IYT09l4.png

Why do i have a feeling these guys are multis using a VPN to spoof their IPs?

And then, there were conspiracies. We all must have Multi'd our Facebooks too so we can deceive each other into thinking we're not talking to ourselves. *Rolls eyes*

• Upvote 3

Ever come to think thats not what we want? The national affairs rps OUR nations. And since we HAVE nations in the game its a nice balance. This isnt Nationstates where you dont have an actual nation like in here. If you dont like the concept of the RP here and want to make it like NationStates why not go back to nationstates? You are more than welcome to rp here as long as you follow the rules, but not when you want to revamp a system that has been working for us.

Wait, you have Knightmares Gameside?

I guess I haven't gotten that unlock yet... RIP

PS: For those Curious as to why we're looking for other sites to RP on... NS's one flaw is that it's so big, RP groups kinda get into their own little world.

We all come from smaller forums, where there number of RPers is so that it sort of creates a community.

Why do i have a feeling these guys are multis using a VPN to spoof their IPs?

Off topic. 

Wait, you have Knightmares Gameside?

I guess I haven't gotten that unlock yet... RIP

Not helping.

This is not what was suggested in the OP. 

The point of this thread is to discuss the possible implementation of a new RP subforums with its own set of guidelines. No one is advocating for the  complete changing of the forum rules.  

• Upvote 1
Roleplay Nations:

Imperial Nalydya