What is most preferable form of government?

Thalmor

What is the most preferable form of government?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. What is the most preferable form of government?

• Absolute Monarchy
    • Constitutional Monarchy
    • Democracy/Republic (Universal Sufferage)
    • Democracy/Repulic (Weighted)

Like British, Germnan, Spainish ones? and the Monarchy is seperate to authority with Prime Minister who have real power, but the influence comes from the king/Queen.

I would like to see it come, but where is the royal line or Not the Greedy type or not the Commie types.

To me, a perfect government is one that simply knows what it wants to do, how it will do it, and how the thing that they wish to accomplish will affect their state. It really is that simple, to me at least. Being benevolent and kind to the subjects of the government is a second priority. An absolute monarchy appeals to me because as long as the monarch has not lost sight of what he or she wishes to accomplish, there is no limit to what the state can become.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Prince

How does one constitute what order is in a spiritual domain? State controlled-institutions?

Who oversees that there is no corruption? Who oversees the overseers?

(I am only replying since I saw that this thread has been resurrected.) 

Let me offer to you the de jure situation in my in-game nation (Poland) as an example. My principal inspiration is the broad Byzantine notion of two 'faces' of a given world. This vision was also implemented with some success in pre-Petrovskaya Russia (Tsar and Patriarch).

In the 'Polish World' there is the Polish State and the Polish Church. In my capacity as Grand Leader, I am the highest and uncontested authority over the Polish State (thank you Security Division [O.B.]).  However, I only enjoy this type of authority in matters of economics, politics and saecular social organisation (legal matters, etc). My spiritual counterpart, the Synod and Patriarch of Warsaw and all of Poland, enjoys the same type of exclusivity in Poland's spiritual matters, since the Polish Orthodox Church (PPK) is the only Christian entity in Poland. Furthermore, we do not interfere in each other's affairs. For example, I cannot appoint/remove bishops and vice-versa. However, because we are part of the same 'Polish World' we need each other and we assist each other. My saecular authority, through its official recognition of the PPK, does not protect heterodox churches, therefore the PPK enjoys exclusive religious rights within Christian Poland. Conversely because the PPK enjoys a spiritual monopoly over the Polish People (apart from recognised minority religions, where the same rule applies based on oblast and commune demographics), the authority of the Polish State is not questioned from the spiritual side. This relationship effectively constitutes a modern 'Emperor and Patriarch' dynamic.  

In short, the Polish State and Church are equal to each other. The PPK is not subordinated to the decrees of State, nor is the Polish State subordinated to the Church's decrees. Instead both Church and State symbiotically govern all affairs of the Polish People. This relationship is what I meant when I referred to order in social, political, economic and spiritual matters.   

In short, the Polish State and Church are equal to each other. The PPK is not subordinated to the decrees of State, nor is the Polish State subordinated to the Church's decrees. Instead both Church and State symbiotically govern all affairs of the Polish People. This relationship is what I meant when I referred to order in social, political, economic and spiritual matters.   

So if someone commits a "sin" that goes against Church doctrine it can enforce criminal punishment?

The laws of the west were written with the Ten Commandments in mind, as the west isgenerally Christian (or secular, but even secular law follows the commandments to a degree). Commandments 5-9 especially. Everything else, including the seven deadly sins are against the Christian culture, and if someone is a perpetrator of one of the sins then they are looked down upon in the Christian world, as well as being subject to eternal damnation - unless they repent.

I am only describing a potential political system, not starting a theological debate. By the way, Poland (in-game) is not part of the 'west' nor does it consider the 'west' as part of its cultural inspiration, so any arguments using 'western' examples are irrelevant. 

Honestly all forms of government are flawed as they all involve humans making important decisions.

Humans cannot be trusted to make important decisions.

I think there was a Tezuka book where they left decisions about statecraft to a computer. 'Course that eventually backfired since the adherents to that had such blind faith in the computer that when it glitched out and declared  nuclear war on another city led by a computer, they blew each other up.

Democracy also requires consent. Monarchy or despotism requires consent.

Anarchy is the idea that we are best completely decentralized.

Anarchy does not mean we don't have leaders. It means that we are led by someone but don't have to listen to them. We can have laws, but there is no central body to enforce them.

It means decentralized law enforcement. The current judge and jury system can still exist, but enforcement is privatized. Military and law enforcement would all be privatized.

When you look at democracy, it ends up between two parties that both barely edge each other. It's clear that democracy doesn't really work. It's bad in the US or Australia, but democratic corruption in Central America, Africa, or Asia is very extreme.

Of course autocracy is the best form of government. But it falls apart when the corrupt come into office.

The purpose of democracy is to absolutely minimize the power that government holds. The next step forward is to completely remove that power from the hands of a few, i.e. anarchy.

I wouldn't say Despotism necessarily requires consent...

The problem with Anarchy is that it's a transition state, and eventually an authority will take over at best, or at worst everything will be divided into several cliques of warlords (such as in moments in China historically or in Modern Somalia). Until then you have mob justice, tyranny of the majority or the rule of the strong. The only way to prevent that is by having a central authority to maintain idealized anarchy ironically or have citizens who are passionate about anarchy and will always keep it from degenerating into despotism. Every political argument that ends with "we need perfect, willing citizens" however falls apart, because all systems of government work if we had that.

The purpose of democracy is not to minimize the power that government holds, but to make it accountable and subject to change.

tldr; Democracy is the least worst system of government.

Actually, it's a bit unfair if I don't put out another response than the boring "Democracy is best".

I think that something akin to how the Five Good Emperors operated during the height of the Roman Empire could work. To summarize, the five good emperors were Nerva, Trajan, Hadrian, Antoninus and Marcus Aurelius. Each one selected their successor based on their competency, and weren't chosen due to being the last ruler's heir or by political maneuvering thus bypassing the corrupt intrigue of Roman politics and their political dynasties

A form of meritocracy will always be the best. Unfortunately, that would require the initial ruler to be a good ruler, not to mention that it's not accountable to the people.  Is there any other flaws that I haven't seen?

• Upvote 1

The laws of the west were written with the Ten Commandments in mind, as the west isgenerally Christian (or secular, but even secular law follows the commandments to a degree). Commandments 5-9 especially. Everything else, including the seven deadly sins are against the Christian culture, and if someone is a perpetrator of one of the sins then they are looked down upon in the Christian world, as well as being subject to eternal damnation - unless they repent.

Like the laws about only believing in the christian/jewish god, or the one about not making idols, and the many of ones that say you can not say the lords name in vain, or the ones about the sabath, and honoring your mother and father, and adultery, and coveting, Oh wait.

like we legalize abortion and gay marriage witch is against the word of the bible

• 1 month later...

The best form of Government is not included in the poll:

A Meritocratic Bureaucracy based upon Confucian Principles.

For nearly 2000 years China had maintained the greatest administration in the world; a merit based civil service founded on passing qualifying examinations to prove ones knowledge of ethics, morals, and governance. So great was the Mandarin system that the Gweilos of the British Empire adopted it. Thomas Taylor Meadows, the British Consul in Canton even published his Desultory Notes on the Government and People of China wherein he argued that: "the long duration of the Chinese empire is solely and altogether owing to the good government which consists in the advancement of men of talent and merit only," and that the British must reform their civil service by making the institution meritocratic." The meritocratic system was soon adopted by the British, whose later ascent only further proved the value of the system they had modeled.

Edited by Lam Songman
  • Upvote 1

!å清å¤æ˜Ž!

"The resort to wu (warfare) is an admission of bankruptcy in the pursuit of wen (civility or culture). Consequently, it should be a last resort. Expansion through wen... is natural and proper; whereas expansion by wu, brute force and conquest, is never to be condoned.†