Limit Colonies

It's just an idea I had. I doubt it'll get any support considering the community's compulsive need to expand, but I'll throw it out there. I believe nations should only be allowed to have one (maybe two, but more leaning towards one) colony. Maybe this way, nations will stop popping up (as much) in completely random areas on the other side of the globe. One may argue that such colonies are necessary for the extraction of precious resources. You could always try being diplomatic about it, and negotiate with whomever owns the land in which the resource is found to see if they'll trade it with you. I'd say that's a lot easier than wasting money and resources to colonize that land. If they say no, you could try respecting the decision of the people who live there. I know, it's an absurd idea.  <_< You could also try changing the RP to have the resource located somewhere within your own nation, or somewhere close to it.  :blink: I apologize for throwing such radical ideas at you. Anyway, that's just what I think.

• Upvote 4

1288901501_RokkenjimaSignature.png.0d904885417dedabec1671424bcdd01b.png

When the seagulls cried, none were left alive.

"If life is a miracle, then death is a certainty."

Maybe we could place resources in different regions, and force nations to trade with each other, Ex Copper only in North America and Australia, and if you do not have a colony then you will need to trade

Logically a natio with more than 2 colonies will have difficulty maintaining order etc... I agree with the Colony limits 

Honestly, I'm against this idea. Mostly because I kinda have the most colonies I believe. Plus, have you seen how crowded Europe is?

But I can understand why this is an issue though, since people have colonies in the middle of nowhere, with almost no strategic value.

• Upvote 1
pwzK3cd8SS65e9vYtF-QIQ.png

Personally, I see this as a bad idea, but since my nation controls planets throughout the universe, it is not such a big deal, as long as I can keep Constantinople and the Southern Philippines.

Edited by Alexei Lysenko

I wouldn't mind maybe having required a decent RP behind the colony. I believe anything should be allowed as long as it's backed with some quality RP. The "I take serbia, I take a piece of japan, and a piece of canada cuz I want it" is honestly the worst. I should be able to look up how and why one has taken a certain piece of land.

• Upvote 2

We have seized the means of production. Though union, and self-governance, we have organized between all peoples of the land.

I wouldn't mind maybe having required a decent RP behind the colony. I believe anything should be allowed as long as it's backed with some quality RP. The "I take serbia, I take a piece of japan, and a piece of canada cuz I want it" is honestly the worst. I should be able to look up how and why one has taken a certain piece of land.

Agreed with this. I also say it should have good reason. Yes resources being one of them as well as maybe wanting to have a closer hub to an ally.

• Upvote 2

Nerd To The Core

I like this idea myself. Though this does bring up one question, like for instance the territory of Japan is pretty easy but since I expanded to the mainland would that be considered as a colony or just a continuation of my land holdings in Asia? Cause with the small exception of the islands to the north once held by Mayor and the Tokyo Territory held by Britannia the island is Communist Japanese Territory so....I'd kind of be stuck.

The Constitutional Republic of Valorn

Consort to the Queen: Marcus Dewinter

I like this idea myself. Though this does bring up one question, like for instance the territory of Japan is pretty easy but since I expanded to the mainland would that be considered as a colony or just a continuation of my land holdings in Asia? Cause with the small exception of the islands to the north once held by Mayor and the Tokyo Territory held by Britannia the island is Communist Japanese Territory so....I'd kind of be stuck.

That wouldn't be considered a colony. Just look at Alaska and Hawaii for instance. They're not attached to the U.S. mainland, but they're still states.

Edited by Eva-Beatrice

I think we should define a colony, since for example myself, Japan and other nations are completely occupied, we can not expand on our mainlands,

We should have some more strategic resourcing etc... maybe the admins can come up with a system. It would bring more RP, ex since maybe Australia only has copper so Wintery will need to trade to make its copper outlits. 

Maybe a colony needs to be 100KM away from your lands, ex New Aussie land since it is far away from my lands and placed for Political, and Strategic Reasons 

Also, expansion should be limited because the resources and manpower needed to expand are massive, and it is un realistic for nations in present-day era to expand rapidly due to the cost of resources and land. As well as low manpower, since back then, Empires had millions of people, they had slaves, they had mercenaries etc... Logically our people consists or Racists, Overweights, Upper-Class, Lower-Class, High ends, etc... So it would be harder for us to me sending them away.

Maybe to acquire more land make some RP Stuff ex-Operation Ronin, Germany Opens New Deutschland, and other posts we have already made. 

I say just add some rules to it, those who dont want to dont get colonies, those who do get them

• Colonies must be connected to a major body of water
  • A colonial expansion must be rped
  • It must have a reason (Resources, Strategic Point, or trade)
  • You can only get a colony one month after starting the rp
  • Upvote 1

IYT09l4.png

Ex-Archduke of Defence for BK

3 minutes ago, Buorhann said:

@Lelouch Vi Britannia - BK needs you, but they really don't deserve you.  Thanks for the dankness.

• Colonies must be connected to a major body of water
  • A colonial expansion must be rped
  • It must have a reason (Resources, Strategic Point, or trade)
  • You can only get a colony one month after starting the rp

I think this sound fair. I would also expand upon that by adding that a nation may only gain a colony once every two months, with a maximum of say 3.

• Upvote 1

Another thing I was thinking about was what the province max should be for each colony.

• Upvote 1

I think this sound fair. I would also expand upon that by adding that a nation may only gain a colony once every two months, with a maximum of say 3.

I agree with that aswell though a max of 3 would not be fair to people like the last person who commented saying he had 6. Then it would be unfair taking something from him that when he got it wasn't a rule.

Make it a max of 6 so at least people who have more then 3 can keep their current ones.

I think the max for how large a colony can be should be 5

• Upvote 1

Sincerely,

The Red and Blue soldiers of Project Freelancer 

Honestly I think there shouldn't have a limit if you actually have the economic and military capability to have a colonial empire. Like you need an army of x numbers or a GDP of $y in order to have z number of colonies. The numbers will probably increase over time. Just an idea though, feel free to comment.

• Upvote 2
pwzK3cd8SS65e9vYtF-QIQ.png

Honestly I think there shouldn't have a limit if you actually have the economic and military capability to have a colonial empire. Like you need an army of x numbers or a GDP of $y in order to have z number of colonies. The numbers will probably increase over time. Just an idea though, feel free to comment.

Actually that's a good idea.

Nerd To The Core