Is humanity innately bad?

Lyre

I will keep this short.

Constantly, I see small things being done that can be seen as evil in the big picture.

Example 1: If I ask almost anyone, I point out a bug or a bee on the ground; they will most likely step on it and kill it. Why? No one knows, what is the reason for killing a small creature for no reason?

Example 2: A car is left on the street for a week. It is ok for a little while, but one day it is beat up and slashed. The reason? Oh it's kids being kids right? They say kids are the most pure beings out there, with little knowledge of the world and only real instincts to act on.

Example 3: Developed Nations citizens using products from undeveloped nations while fully knowing where it came from, and what conditions it was made in. You support what is essentially slavery for your own benefit and find any way to rationalize it. You don't see it, you don't care. (I am guilty of this too, believe me).

I could go on, but I want to see what you all think. 

Also here is my philosophical argument guide ;) 

We have seized the means of production. Though union, and self-governance, we have organized between all peoples of the land.

1. There are cultures that would be appalled by needlessly killing even a bug. But, to most cultures bugs are hated and not afforded the same treatment as furry animals. It's trained behavior.

2. Teenagers are !@#$.

3. All animals have territory and will take from others. Greed and wanting everything that we don't need is the modern, global problem.

1. There are cultures that would be appalled by needlessly killing even a bug. But, to most cultures bugs are hated and not afforded the same treatment as furry animals. It's trained behavior.

2. Teenagers are !@#$.

3. All animals have territory and will take from others. Greed and wanting everything that we don't need is the modern, global problem.

Good points. Though non arguments, I see what you mean and the rhetoric behind it.

Almost proves that innate evil in us. If greed is not evil, what is it? What is Greed? What is evil? 

Man... a person working on a minor in philosophy should not be here haha.

We have seized the means of production. Though union, and self-governance, we have organized between all peoples of the land.

Well then you'd be familiar with "it's best to not be born at all" - Chiron

Greed is a sickness and misconceptions. Evil is the same, I believe. So it is a transgressions, not a sin. The difference being ignorance.

• Upvote 1

Example 1: If I ask almost anyone, I point out a bug or a bee on the ground; they will most likely step on it and kill it. Why? No one knows, what is the reason for killing a small creature for no reason?

For things to be important, some things have to be unimportant.

If everything was important, nothing would be important.

Therefore, in a way, killing that small creature is what gives you the ability to love things.

Icwalk.gif

It's not that a bug is any more or less important than anything else. Everything is equally important, in the existential sense. So, that line of thought would be incorrect. The lion must eat to live and the gazelle must not be eaten to live. Each are equally important. There's nothing evil in survival. Most animals must cause another pain in order to survive. Even the gazelle not being eaten causes the lion pain. But, the human mind has spawned every imaginable idea; politics, agriculture, economics, torture, terrorism, BDSM, railguns. And, those ideas have an effect on individual and collective minds. We accept shit as gospel. We get fanatical over meaningless shit. We place undue importance in unimportant things. We inflict pain for reasons that are stupid, ignorant. Is that evil? No, it's just a stupid animal with just enough brains to be stupider than a beast.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

First you must view this question as a branch off of another question. What is morality to us might not be the true state of being. An example would be that a Vegetarian (evil beings) would view a Human killing and/or eating an animal as evil, but I view it as one animal eating another (circle of life *lion king music starts*). Comparatively to the universe we are but a mere speck, and our actions only effect our ecosystem (which is one of the Quintilian planets in our solar system).

Are we greedy, yes.

Are we Wrathful, some times.

Do we seemingly destroy things on our world, all the time.

But is bacteria or viral infections evil? Or are they just living out their purpose.

People will always say people are evil. Labels are just that, labels. And again, Morality is a matter of perspective.

d0r0WcS.gif

• 4 months later...

Simple answer: If humans were innately shitty, we would've failed as a species. Charles Darwin himself said that altruism, self-sacrifice, and cooperation are the hallmarks of natural selection. If we were shitbags to each other, our friends, our family — we would've died in the cold long ago. 

“Behold, this was the guilt of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride, excess of food, and prosperous ease, but did not aid the poor and needy. They were haughty and did an abomination before me. So I removed them, when I saw it.â€

Ezekiel 16:49-50

☭

Is humanity innately bad?

No.

Are we all selfish hypocrites who only bring destruction in our wake? 

Selfish, Yes.

Does everyone have the potential to commit the most immoral of acts?

Yes

Does humanity deserve pain, suffering, war, and punishment?

No.

If a victim of a crime is in a different situation, can they be a perpetrator of a crime and hurt someone else (e.g. Rwanda where the Tutsi began to get revenge on the Hutus by committing some atrocities like the Hutus and had done onto them)?

Well you just listed an example sooo.... yes?

XLL3z4T.gif