4/5/2016 - Server Timezone Change

Alex

• Administrators

Just thought I'd give everyone a heads up that we've changed timezones from GMT-7 (Mountain Standard Time) to GMT+0 (Greenwich Mean Time). The reason for this change is extensive analytics indicating that some 80% of the players are in the United States, and very inconvenienced by the late update times. The majority of the other 20% of the players in in Western Europe and Australia, which are not terribly impacted by this change. Unfortunately, if you're anywhere inbetween Western Europe and Australia, this change probably won't be very good for you. Unfortunately, you're in the minority and I'm obligated to create the best possible playing experience for the largest number of players.

Anyway, I'm hoping this transition will be smooth without any hiccups, and everyone will adjust quickly. Daylight Savings Time should still not be a factor (it's caused headaches with turns in the past, so we're just going to pretend it doesn't exist.)

Thanks for understanding, and hopefully (most of you) will benefit from this change.

• Upvote 6

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

• Administrators

Terrible change.

You must be in that "between Western Europe and Australia" geographic part of the world, yeah? Sorry, friend.

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

Oh god why all at once? It would have been so much better to move it half an hour a day or something. Especially with day changeover being so important for military.

I mean 10/10 this time is better than last, but damn.

• Upvote 1

You must be in that "between Western Europe and Australia" geographic part of the world, yeah? Sorry, friend.

I'm on the west coast of the US, and while I am always available at midnight as needed, work schedule means I may not always be available at 5 pm (if I calculated correctly when new update occurs for Pacific US)

SwdzxXu.png

Discrimination against minorities...

• Upvote 1

"LMFAO nazi Goomy is the best Goomy" - Kyubey  "Goomy is Perfect" - Ripper

Some sort of gov for CoS

#RollBezzers2k18

• Administrators

Oh god why all at once? It would have been so much better to move it half an hour a day or something. Especially with day changeover being so important for military.

I disagree, moving it gradually would be tedious and likely create some problems with turns firing and whatnot. No one got a heads up about this change, if it benefits anyone more than anyone else it's sheer luck.

I'm on the west coast of the US, and while I am always available at midnight as needed, work schedule means I may not always be available at 5 pm (if I calculated correctly when new update occurs for Pacific US)

Ah yes, that likely is an inconvenient time for you, but 3AM for other people was likely more inconvenient which is the unfortunate truth. We analyzed many different time zone setups, and this was by far the most practical for the majority of the playerbase.

Forums Rules | Game Link

• Administrators

I honestly don't understand why this is a big deal? What major game events take place at the midnight update that don't every two hours?

Mainly the military purchase reset, which many players try to time perfectly for a "double buy."

So we've moved forwards and time and have skipped the midnight reset/daily bonus? Not mad or anything just trying to get a grasp.

No, we haven't skipped anything, it's just come a little sooner.

Discrimination? If this is discrimination, then previously we were discriminating against the majority.

Forums Rules | Game Link

there really should be an option to pick between at least 3 different times for day change. you could tie it to in game nation location, or not. give 1 free change and allow people to change it for 2 credits after that. you even make some money from the pay to win crowd who would buy credits to get multiple day resets in a short amount of time during war.

• Upvote 2

This is much appreciated.

I disagree, moving it gradually would be tedious and likely create some problems with turns firing and whatnot. No one got a heads up about this change, if it benefits anyone more than anyone else it's sheer luck.

Somehow Sheepy, I don't think he works in IT.   :)

Some people are more equal than others

x0H0NxD.jpg?1

01:05:55 <%fistofdoom> im out of wine

01:06:03 <%fistofdoom> i winsih i had port
01:06:39 <@JoshF{BoC}> fistofdoom: is the snowman drunk with you

01:07:32 <%fistofdoom> i knet i forgot somehnt

I love how I suggested this change but don't actually know what update time is for me now. Now I have to go do math or look up the chart I made when I suggested it or something.

I still think daylight savings time should be recognized, doe.

Orbis Wars   |   CSI: UPN   |   B I G O O F   |   PW Expert Has Nerve To Tell You How To Run Your Own Goddamn Alliance | Occupy Wall Street | Sheepy Sings

TheNG - My favorite part is when Steve suggests DEIC might have done something remotely successful, then gets massively shit on for proposing such a stupid idea.

On 1/4/2016 at 6:37 PM, Sheepy said:
Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win

I can live a normal life now, thank you mr sheep!

x0H0NxD.jpg?1

01:05:55 <%fistofdoom> im out of wine

01:06:03 <%fistofdoom> i winsih i had port
01:06:39 <@JoshF{BoC}> fistofdoom: is the snowman drunk with you

01:07:32 <%fistofdoom> i knet i forgot somehnt

I love the change Sheepy. Happy to see that I don't have to be a zombie in the morning after an update blitz!

[22:37:51] <&Yosodog> Problem is, everyone is too busy deciding which top gun character they are that no decision has been made

BK in a nutshell

Well hell. As it was, I had to get up two hours early to do stuff at reset, now it's two hours before bed time. I'm quite okay with this.

​For those wondering why reset matters--it affects military strategy to a minor extent. Not significantly, but this shifts who has the double-build advantage, and some people can now better rebuild before the opponent to hit them while weak and turn the tides where others now have a harder time with such.

​For most other parts of the game, it's irrelevant.

• Jax locked this topic