4/5/2016 - Server Timezone Change

Alex

• Administrators

Thats why i asked if they are any numbers on how many users are from "europe without GB and portugal" and australia/asia. 

Correct me if i am wrong, but why not GMT+8? Its 9am PSt-> no problem, 18pm cest-> no problem and even midnight for 25% of the world population. That would make the update "playable" for people in China, Europe, africa and america, not just in asia/america.

After the top 4 (US, UK, Canada, Australia):

1.86% of Users are in India

1.28% of Users are in Phillipines

1.09% of Users are in Germany

0.93% of Users are in Netherlands

0.82% of Users are in Indonesia

0.81% of Users are in New Zealand

As you can see, the number of users adversely affected is quite small, compared to the >80% in the US, Australia, UK, and Canada.

GMT+8 would be very late for Eastern Australian players (up to 3.4% of players). It would also be relatively inconvenient for players on the West Coast of the US and Canada. Imo GMT+0 is a better overall timezone.

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

The UK people are all affected now though :P

What was 7/8am depending on summer time or not is now midnight/1am which is worse technically ;)

Not that it bothers me as the old time was no good as i am generally either getting ready for work or already gone to work and rarely bothered too much with here

I am in Australia and the time zone doesn't really make a big difference to me. Midnight went from 6pm to 10am. In my opinion a lot easier to tell the time difference from the game and myself.

i'm one of the americans who will be at work every single update for the foreseeable future

why wasn't EST an option? or having us pick our updates? or like any of the other billion suggestions?

• Upvote 1

So.  Um.  Was any thought given to how this will affect server load?  You made it easier for people to make the site unusable? 

Doubtful. This isn't (That terrible game that is totally irrelevant and I shouldn't be bringing it up anyways) we're everything ticks over on the reset.

I still prefer flexible, player chosen updates, with the restriction that you can only move your update forward, not backward.

A simple way to implement the restriction is making it so you can only change your update time if you haven't bought military that day, and you can't buy military after changing it until the next update.

Edited by Azaghul
  • Upvote 3
GnWq7CW.png

• Administrators

Are you going to fix the cheating nation as well? 

There's no cheating - he's not playing the game. Technically I'm cheating too, I haven't played the game to get any of my 5 cities or whatever. No one seems to care about that; in fact people seem quite fond of attacking me  <_<

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

There's no cheating - he's not playing the game. Technically I'm cheating too, I haven't played the game to get any of my 5 cities or whatever. No one seems to care about that; in fact people seem quite fond of attacking me  <_<

this is unfair, you're completely out of my range

• Upvote 2

x0H0NxD.jpg?1

01:05:55 <%fistofdoom> im out of wine

01:06:03 <%fistofdoom> i winsih i had port
01:06:39 <@JoshF{BoC}> fistofdoom: is the snowman drunk with you

01:07:32 <%fistofdoom> i knet i forgot somehnt

The overwhelming support for UTC, you mean? 69% of players who voted in the poll wanted this change. https://politicsandwar.com/forums/index.php?/topic/11887-server-time-zone-poll/

So you offer 2 bad time zones and then choose to screw over 1/3 of palyer base? Retarded. Day change should be tied to your geographocal location in Orbis or be alllowed to chose wich one you wish. Also polls with only 2 options tend to be bad in general.

tvPWtuA.gif

• Administrators

So you offer 2 bad time zones and then choose to screw over 1/3 of palyer base? Retarded. Day change should be tied to your geographocal location in Orbis or be alllowed to chose wich one you wish. Also polls with only 2 options tend to be bad in general.

GMT is not a bad timezone - it may be bad for you, but for 80% of the game it's better or neutrally impacts them. You seem to be forgetting the some ~1,000 players who had 1AM, 2AM, 3AM update times.

Forums Rules | Game Link

It's not bad timezone if you had DAYLIGHT SAVINGS. And I don't care about 80% players. 20% players absolutely hates this. Or are you taking sides? What those 80% buy more creds? Or you just favour Americnas over the rest? How hard would it be to implement day change that happens differently for everyone?

It literally instead of server wide envent to check for local events every turn.  And yes I'm big fan of either fixed daytime change for your location or choosing one yourself with penalty of not being able to recruit enitre day.

Edited by Immeral Ilimaris

tvPWtuA.gif

while it's an inconvenience for European players like myself, everyone else has had this issue for the entire game so far and it didn't seem to affect them too badly, if you really want to be on at update have a nap for a few hours and set an alarm, tbh its only really important to be around at update if you're in an alliance war

"LMFAO nazi Goomy is the best Goomy" - Kyubey  "Goomy is Perfect" - Ripper

Some sort of gov for CoS

#RollBezzers2k18

while it's an inconvenience for European players like myself, everyone else has had this issue for the entire game so far and it didn't seem to affect them too badly, if you really want to be on at update have a nap for a few hours and set an alarm, tbh its only really important to be around at update if you're in an alliance war

You need to update your Signature. You are no longer HP.

#Irrelevanttothetopic

PEOPLE BE CAREFUL WHERE YOU POST CAUSE IF YOU POST IN A NO COMMENT THREAD, YOU GET A WARNING POINT

CAUSE OTHER PEOPLE SEING ONE MORE POST THAN USUAL HURTS THEIR EYES.

You gotta live long so you can experience the sad joke that this world is.

"If I ever formed an alliance it would be called Grand Puberty Agency

And the text above would be like:"GPA just had a growth spurt"

The overwhelming support for UTC, you mean? 69% of players who voted in the poll wanted this change. https://politicsandwar.com/forums/index.php?/topic/11887-server-time-zone-poll/

The poll that doesn't have an EST option, you mean? Of the two, no shit the majority picked UTC, if the bulk of your players are in the US, and of that, the bulk of the US population is in the Eastern time zone, then yeah, updating in Mountain Time really screws them and UTC is better for them. Your overwhelming support for UTC only exists in that poll because you ran a poorly designed poll with two mediocre options. I'd be willing to bet good money that if there was an EST option, it would have won in a landslide.

You yourself literally proposed an EST update, and then didn't even bother to put it on the poll. What, exactly, was the deal with that?

MT is best for me because I'm West Coast US, but that clearly wasn't going to happen, fine, whatever. I'm pretty agnostic between EST update and UTC, but most people won't be. Why wasn't that a choice? Right now, Central Europe will update at 2am. I'm not sure that's really an improvement for them. Their only choices were 2am and 9am (aka school and work time)? That seems kind of jacked up dude.

Roy, fix your reading comprehension

I do realize, though, that the late night game updates are a major pain in the ass for a lot of players (and myself included) but I've left it as a matter of convention. I'm not really sure what a good solution is; my best compromise idea would be to make server time UTC -5 (Eastern Time Zone, w/o DST)

Then further down I posted about possible times and one of the lines was what would happen if we used EST

Putting it in EST screws over Europe utterly (5am brits, 6am west, 7am east)

How would you like it if you had to get up at 5 or 6 for a &#33;@#&#036;ing game? I bet you'd be &#33;@#&#036;ing pissed and probably wouldn't even bother. UTC is a middle ground because every time zone &#33;@#&#036; over someone and we need to minimize that. Most of the players are NA, Western Europe, and Australia and UTC favors them them all about the same.

Get your &#33;@#&#036;ing head out of your ass

Orbis Wars   |   CSI: UPN   |   B I G O O F   |   PW Expert Has Nerve To Tell You How To Run Your Own Goddamn Alliance | Occupy Wall Street | Sheepy Sings

TheNG - My favorite part is when Steve suggests DEIC might have done something remotely successful, then gets massively shit on for proposing such a stupid idea.

On 1/4/2016 at 6:37 PM, Sheepy said:
Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win

Right, that's why I said GMT was a fine enough compromise.

I'm an EST player but I still like UTC (GMT? err, whichever) better than Mountain time.

Edited by AstraKatG

Roy, fix your reading comprehension

Then further down I posted about possible times and one of the lines was what would happen if we used EST

How would you like it if you had to get up at 5 or 6 for a !@#$ game? I bet you'd be !@#$ pissed and probably wouldn't even bother. UTC is a middle ground because every time zone !@#$ over someone and we need to minimize that. Most of the players are NA, Western Europe, and Australia and UTC favors them them all about the same.

Get your !@#$ head out of your ass

Dude, as I've said, I'm US West Coast, I'm sitting pretty under just about any update time. What I'm taking issue with is the fact that Sheepy is bandying about his little time zone poll to say that the player base wanted UTC. There's miles of difference between "I want this" and "Well this is less shit than what I have". I fully understand that someone's going to get boned by the update time, and again, it's pretty much never going to be me under any system (unless the point is to have update at a less accessible time to begin with - I'd probably advocate that to be completely honest). I just think if you're going to bother to solicit player input, you shouldn't use a shit-ass poll to do it. If you want to use analytics to solve the problem, don't bother with the poll.

• Jax locked this topic