Get rid of vaction mode

Dan77

• It's used almost exclusively for war avoidance.
  • Alliances can protect people who are genuinely on vacation anyway, whilst they continue to earn income.
  • It's the 21st century.  You can log in briefly once a day (not that you need to) from pretty much anywhere in the world.

• Upvote 3

True. I was inactive for 3 months and nothing bad happened to me. Except you all guys left.

On the other hand, they get no revenue if they are in vacation mode and can't get out of it any time they like? You can always attack them when they come back...

What about disabling vacation mode once player gets in war. After war expires and if player have no active wars, they can go on vacation mode.

• Upvote 2

Commander-in-Chief of Svalbard Island

Badassery Rating: 100% / Popularity Rating: 100%

Removing vacation mode would ruin this game for anyone who is active duty in the military, goes on extended trips to developing countries, etc. This is a terrible suggestion.

Well that's a bit harsh.  Was it a terrible game before you introduced VM?

I take the point about active duty in the military.  IDK what kind of internet access they get.  Obv. not a priority when dodging bombs and bullets.  I find it odd that people would play a game like this if they can go months without being able to play it though.

Extended trips to developing countries?  How many people fall into that category.  I doubt many at all and those that do are probably still regularly online.

So you've obviously decided anyway.  Somebody just proposed to me that we DoW on war avoiders.  That could be fun!  Who wants to be on the naughty list?

• Upvote 1

• It's used almost exclusively for war avoidance.
  • Alliances can protect people who are genuinely on vacation anyway, whilst they continue to earn income.
  • It's the 21st century.  You can log in briefly once a day (not that you need to) from pretty much anywhere in the world.

• It's used almost exclusively for war avoidance

It's the main reason why it was made. Secondly, if I were to go on vacation; I rather come home knowing my nation isn't harmed . And thirdly, for you to assume everyone can long on everyday, is an understatement.

Honestly, Dan has a valid point. Majority of the people I've seen use it as a mean of avoiding war. If we look at the benefit gained from people actually using it for valid reasons and people doing in war-time just to avoid it, it's more towards the latter. 

If Sheepy is so serious about having a vacation mode though, there is a middle ground. Maybe extend the minimum duration for vacation mode to a much longer period? That would cater well to people on military duty or long foreign trips and it will serve to keep people who're just avoiding war to not go into a very extended period away from game.

• Upvote 1

Let's face it, this is nothing more than an excuse for Arrgh to raid more inactives.

0/10 try again.

• Upvote 2

<&Partisan> EAT THE SHIT

<blacklabel> lol @ ever caring about how much you matter in some dumbass nation simulation browser game. what a !@#$in pathetic waste of life

iZHAsgV.png

What if you were not able to go into vacation mode in a war? That would solve this problem.

What about disabling vacation mode once player gets in war. After war expires and if player have no active wars, they can go on vacation mode.

^^^^^^^^^^ This would be a better idea.

<&Partisan> EAT THE SHIT

<blacklabel> lol @ ever caring about how much you matter in some dumbass nation simulation browser game. what a !@#$in pathetic waste of life

iZHAsgV.png

Removing vacation mode would ruin this game for anyone who is active duty in the military, goes on extended trips to developing countries, etc. This is a terrible suggestion.

Naw, we would be alright.  Since OIF 1 (2003) I have never been completely cut off, even if I have to log on from an internet cafe - they usually set up commercial internet cafes at some point in the first three months.  I can get internet at 95% of current locations that we deploy to.  Maybe not great or consistent sometimes but whatever.  If you are worried about no internet at some FOB that was just set up somewhere, maybe.  In such rare cases maybe something like a three month minimum mode?  If a war kicks off or something then yeah - but that would mean I would need to go on vacation for like 6 months to a year.

What developing country are you thinking of?  There are not many that lack internet in places where people actually go, at least in my experience.  Maybe reporters who wander way of the beaten path?  A longer vacation mode would likely work for them too.

Yeah, extending it to 3 months would be fine for this active duty dude who semi-regularly travels to developing countries.

Edited by LordRahl2

-signature removed for rules violation-

Uh, I think literally everyone who uses vacation mode uses it to avoid war. That's its only function.

There are lots of people who I've seen use vacation mode for legitimate reasons, not simply to !@#$ out on a big conflict. Being at war with someone in vacation mode means you can pound them as much as you want. How is that a bad thing? 

If someone goes into vacation mode before a big inter-alliance war, so what? They don't count. Few wars last longer than 2 weeks, and if the war does last longer then you can just time someone coming out of VM and then pound them into the dust (we've done that before). 

Edited by Avruch
  • Upvote 4

Keep it as it is.

Uh, I think literally everyone who uses vacation mode uses it to avoid war. That's its only function.

There are lots of people who I've seen use vacation mode for legitimate reasons, not simply to !@#$ out on a big conflict. Being at war with someone in vacation mode means you can pound them as much as you want. How is that a bad thing? 

If someone goes into vacation mode before a bit inter-alliance war, so what? They don't count. Few wars last longer than 2 weeks, and if the war does last longer then you can just time someone coming out of VM and then pound them into the dust (we've done that before). 

This.

Naw, we would be alright.  Since OIF 1 (2003) I have never been completely cut off, even if I have to log on from an internet cafe - they usually set up commercial internet cafes at some point in the first three months.  I can get internet at 95% of current locations that we deploy to.  Maybe not great or consistent sometimes but whatever.  If you are worried about no internet at some FOB that was just set up somewhere, maybe.  In such rare cases maybe something like a three month minimum mode?  If a war kicks off or something then yeah - but that would mean I would need to go on vacation for like 6 months to a year.

What developing country are you thinking of?  There are not many that lack internet in places where people actually go, at least in my experience.  Maybe reporters who wander way of the beaten path?  A longer vacation mode would likely work for them too.

Yeah, extending it to 3 months would be fine for this active duty dude who semi-regularly travels to developing countries.

What about sailors or Marines deployed at sea? Or people at various locations that don't have recreational internet at all? And maybe someone is just going on a vacation or deployment or whatever where they don't want to be distracted by an Internet game. I think its within Sheepy's discretion to decide whether he wants those people to keep what they've accumulated rather than lose it to raiders. 

So, cruises, what Seamen call the things they do while sailing around, are 8ish months.  An 8 month vacation mode would be fine too.

And if I feel that strongly then a longer period is fine.

Edited by LordRahl2

I like vacation mode the way it is. It's not broken, so leave it alone.

• Upvote 2

x0H0NxD.jpg?1

01:05:55 <%fistofdoom> im out of wine

01:06:03 <%fistofdoom> i winsih i had port
01:06:39 <@JoshF{BoC}> fistofdoom: is the snowman drunk with you

01:07:32 <%fistofdoom> i knet i forgot somehnt

• Administrators

See my response to Kastor below.

Well that's a bit harsh.  Was it a terrible game before you introduced VM?

I take the point about active duty in the military.  IDK what kind of internet access they get.  Obv. not a priority when dodging bombs and bullets.  I find it odd that people would play a game like this if they can go months without being able to play it though.

Extended trips to developing countries?  How many people fall into that category.  I doubt many at all and those that do are probably still regularly online.

So you've obviously decided anyway.  Somebody just proposed to me that we DoW on war avoiders.  That could be fun!  Who wants to be on the naughty list?

I didn't mean to be harsh, it's just a silly way to solve the problem.

What if you were not able to go into vacation mode in a war? That would solve this problem.

That's also silly - there's already penalties for going into Vacation Mode if you're at war. If you have an emergency or are suddenly going to not have internet access for a long while, why should you be forced to have your nation deleted and/or destroyed because you were in a war when RL got in the way?

---

Using vacation mode as a peace mode is bad, but all of these solutions posted would absolutely destroy the point of vacation mode (except for increasing the length of it.) Frawley had a great suggestion he voiced to be on IRC the other day, and that is that you shouldn't be able to go into Vacation Mode within X (like 5 or 7) days after having declared an offensive war. I think that, coupled with perhaps a 1 month minimum would be a far better solution than just turning our backs on those who need Vacation mode the most.

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

I'm going to do Humanitarian work in Kurdistan in a few years.

In what is quite literally the middle of butt!@#$ nowhere they have internet connection.

Hell, I've talked to friends from villages that have been completely leveled that have a better internet connection than I do!

I think this should only be used for special cases, or at least make it a minimum of 3 weeks. Because unless you are physically unable to play (Which is going to be rare) you should have the ability to get internet access at least once a week.

I have played browser games from Erbil in fact.

A good step might be to you know, punish blatant improper use of it in some manner? I recently had someone suggest to me on these forums that I should have had members of my alliance use vacation mode, or more specifically peace mode. 

How's the WiFi there? I've heard it can be reallly slow in some areas and then insanely quick in others.

Blazing at the hotel.  I went out to eat once and iirc no wifi, at least none that I could connect with.  I was only there for 2? nights.

Using vacation mode as a peace mode is bad, but all of these solutions posted would absolutely destroy the point of vacation mode (except for increasing the length of it.) Frawley had a great suggestion he voiced to be on IRC the other day, and that is that you shouldn't be able to go into Vacation Mode within X (like 5 or 7) days after having declared an offensive war. I think that, coupled with perhaps a 1 month minimum would be a far better solution than just turning our backs on those who need Vacation mode the most.

That's actually a good set of ideas.  I'm of the opinion that vacation mode is used much more for war avoidance than actual vacations.  A 7 day buffer after having declared or been declared on (2 rounds of war), plus 1 month of frozen activity would be a nice set up to put huge penalties on war avoidance, but still allow for people to use it for legitimate purposes.  

Edited by rapmanej

I think extending the minimum to 3 weeks or a month would be best to prevent people from just using it for non vacation. Even though you can still finish a war against them it has been used so many times for the wrong purpose and in my opinion is something that should be addressed. 

Vacation mode is already punishment enough. 2 weeks of no income and not being able to respond to any outstanding wars and getting pummeled. If someone does use it to avoid war, their  alliance is hurt a lot more by them being absent then the attacker is for missing 9 days of loot.

• Upvote 4